August 23rd, 2018 654 comments

Doctor Who The Collection Season 19 Blu-ray

Available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Also available to order in the UK from www.zoom.co.uk (10% off with first order available), www.zavvi.com and www.hmv.com.

Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

Released on 19th November 2018 in the UK and December 4th in the USA

BBC Studios announces Peter Davison’s inaugural series as the next installment in the DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION Blu-ray range

Today BBC Studios is pleased to announce Doctor Who Season 19 as the next release in the Doctor Who: The Collection range. Season 19 is Peter Davison’s first series as the Fifth Doctor and this edition follows the success of Tom Baker’s first season on Blu-ray. To be released on the 19th November 2018, this collector’s edition also has a limited run.

The title will be available to pre-order from HMV and Amazon from tomorrow.

Peter Davison joined the long running BBC series in 1982, replacing Tom Baker as the Doctor. His first season bursts with the fresh energy and breathless excitement that would come to define his era. Across seven classic adventures, the Doctor and his companions Tegan, Nyssa and Adric face off against The Master, the terrifying Mara, the Terileptils, the Plasmatons, Monarch and the revamped Cybermen, making a triumphant return to the series in one of the programme’s all-time classics.

The Limited Edition Blu-ray includes brand new ‘Special Features’ exclusive to this set include: Five new ‘Making-Of’ documentaries for Castrovalva, Four To Doomsday, Black Orchid, Earthshock and Time-Flight, surround sound mixes for Kinda and Earthshock, an Extended Version of Black Orchid Part One, rare studio footage from Castrovalva, Four To Doomsday, Earthshock and Time-Flight, updated special effects for Castrovalva, seven more editions of Behind The Sofa and a newly-shot one-hour interview Peter Davison In Conversation with Matthew Sweet, and much more.

The eight-disc box set also includes the Peter Davison/David Tennant mini-episode Time Crash, plus hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.

All 26 episodes are being remastered from scratch by Peter Crocker and Mark Ayres. With this season’s original 16mm film elements still in existence, the location material can be presented in true HD, with studio material upscaled. Lee Binding is again providing stunning packaging design and Pete McTighe has written extensive booklet notes and is the content consultant for the title. Doctor Who: The Collection is executively produced for BBC Studios by Russell Minton.

DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION – SEASON 19 includes the following stories from 1982:

Castrovalva (Four episodes); Four To Doomsday (Four Episodes); Kinda (Four Episodes); The Visitation (Four Episodes); Black Orchid (Two Episodes); Earthshock (Four Episodes); Time-Flight (Four episodes)

Categorised under: Blu-ray, DVD, Featured

• yogi_bear

February 26th, 2019 - 6:30pm

Ordered the box set and got a reasonable discount by signing up to zooms newsletter…now al i need to do is sort a blu ray machine to see if the recordings are as good as theyre cracked up to be.

• Duncan Parsons

January 7th, 2019 - 8:50am

It’s been about a month since this was released and it’s still not sold out yet. Does anyone know if they produced more copies of this than the season 12 set and will they be doing another run of season 12?

• Prof Horner

January 7th, 2019 - 11:30am

Well I got of season nineteen last week in hmv. Much as I like Davison he certainly is not as popular as the first four , certainly as Tom and Jon.

• the 14th doctor

December 28th, 2018 - 6:19pm

i think they should release all the stories separately as well in blu-ray each with there own art work, special features and art cards.
    it would be great!

• Gordon

December 28th, 2018 - 11:30pm

Would be priced about 15 quid per release as that is the average price for a single disc release. Considering I got season 19 for 36 quid it just would seem a bit of a rip off

• The 14th doctor

December 28th, 2018 - 11:35pm

I see.
      Thanks for a more insightful answer.

January 1st, 2019 - 4:02pm

I think they should release highlights from the season on Blu-ray, maybe as a sort of taster for beginners. For example, Genesis Of The Daleks from Season 12, or Earthshock from Season 19.

• The 14th doctor

January 1st, 2019 - 5:56pm

Good idea

• Duncan Parsons

January 2nd, 2019 - 6:06pm

If people want a taster they could always buy the dvd. It’d be cheaper. Then upgrade if they like what they see.

• The Flying Shark

January 2nd, 2019 - 7:31pm

I agree Duncan, I just bought Kinda in CEX for £3.50 so it’s not like they’re hard to come buy or expensive.

• doctor whom

December 18th, 2018 - 12:42pm

i hope we get season 17 at some point.

• the 14th doctor

December 18th, 2018 - 2:12pm

or 26 would be good

December 18th, 2018 - 4:38am

So I wonder if the Stripped for Action series will get released in some other sets, or if they have been dropped for bluray. I know the original Fifth Doctor entry was on Black Orchid but it is not on the blu. A shame, as I like those.

• Gordon

December 18th, 2018 - 9:20am

It hasn’t been ditched. Just moved to a more appropriate release

December 18th, 2018 - 12:14pm

Glad to hear it!

• Neill Stringer

December 18th, 2018 - 10:16pm

What release do u feel is more appropriate?

I take the Doctor Forever docs are not being pitted over, it was not on the Ark in Space disc

• Gordon

December 18th, 2018 - 11:41pm

Probably caves of androzani.

It’s been hinted by those that work on the releases that the doctor forever releases will probably be on season 26.

• Neill Stringer

December 19th, 2018 - 1:39am

So season 26 could feature the TV movie and the wilderness years between classic and new Who?

• MIKK89

December 19th, 2018 - 10:29am

I’d Guess that the extras like ‘Stripped for Action’ and ‘Tomorrows Times’ would be left until the final seasons as one was a look at whatever Doctor’s era the DVD was part of, was covering their Comic Appearances on TV until they left the show and/or their Incarnations last Comic Adventure (Possibly Expanded to Cover the Titan Comics for the 03rd, 4th, 07th and 08th), with the Dalek one added to either Season 25 or 26, and whereas the initial idea for Doctor Who Times was to cover the press over the course of that years production, ‘Tomorrows Times’ was an Overview of their time in the role.

• Neill Stringer

December 19th, 2018 - 1:14pm

Then why not put Tom Baker Tomorrow Times on season 18?

• MIKSMK89

December 19th, 2018 - 1:55pm

Sorry Neill Stringer, I actually did mean that they should be released as part of each Doctors final season, not on Season 26. I do apologise, I realized just now that I’d written the post that way.

• Neill Stringer

December 20th, 2018 - 11:52am

MIKSMK89 I guess I was asking if the tomorrow s times and should be have been on season 18

• Kenny

December 23rd, 2018 - 5:54pm

I would think that as the TV movie has already been released on blu-ray it is unlikely to be thrown in with Season 26. I could see them maybe long down the line giving it another blu-ray release to fit in with the “Collection” branding. And if they did that I would expect that to be like a Wilderness Years package. Feature the Movie, the Eighth Doctor version of Shada and Night of the Doctor to be a sort of best of visual media collection of that Doctor. Throw in a disc of Shalka…maybe the other webcasts as well. You’ve already gpt the Wilderness Years doc from the TV movie dvd/blu. I could see the Curse of the Fatal Death being thrown in as an extra. More than 30 Years in the TARDIS would also figure in better for a set like that than any other seasons, beyond maybe 26.

I don’t know how likely this set could be, but a “The Collection” overview of the Wilderness Years make more sense to me than another solo release of an upscaled TV movie (because the idea of them getting all original film eleents, rescanning, re-editing, and redoing all special effects is fairly implausible), with maybe one of two special features. It is a chance to add McGann to the cover of a set, get more of the titles with no real season boxset home out there in this new format. I’d buy it…

December 24th, 2018 - 11:24am

Could add the cushing films, if they get the rights. Daemos rising and other reel time spin offs

• Lee

December 17th, 2018 - 3:21pm

Alan, I’ve been buying DVDs since 1999 and had a few DVD and Blu-ray releases over the years that have had issues and needed to be replaced or returned. Not just BBC releases.

I used to buy a lot of discs imported from the US, even though I’m in the UK. I remember when the first Region 1 boxset of Back to the Future came out and was incorrectly framed on 2 discs, so some of the scenes in BTTF 2&3 had half of the picture cropped out.

It was glaringly obvious that half the picture was missing, but nobody spotted it until after the DVDs had been released. I had to email Universal in the US to get the set replaced with the correctly framed discs. Which luckily they did, even though I’m in region 2.

Unlike VHS which was a relatively simple format, the DVD and Blu-ray formats have their own set of issues. Even with the best quality control, these things just happen. After disc release there’s a LOT of hours of content on Blu-ray somebody would have to sit through to check all these things, and I doubt they’d know until it’s too late.
    I can’t see them knowing about it, because they’d have thought a lot of bad feedback would come their way, if that were the case.

I just hope that we don’t get another release like S12 which, I doubt will happen now after the feedback they received. But, these things can happen with this format unfortunately.

If those audio sync issues happened during the main story or documentaries, then I think they’d have no choice but to replace the discs.

• Keith Pirie

December 16th, 2018 - 8:01pm

Has anyone else received a faulty Disc 1 from the season 19 box set? The continuity extras on my disc one seem to be running out of sync, has anyone else experienced this?

• Lee

December 16th, 2018 - 8:11pm

Yes, it’s been reported here a few times. Not something I’m worried about as I don’t watch them. Think a few people have emailed about it though, so waiting to see what happens.

• Alan Silvester

December 17th, 2018 - 12:21pm

Keith,

I sent an e-mail to BBC DVD and have today had the following response:

Thank you for alerting us to this issue.
      You will be able to enjoy this content with revised audio on our Season 18 release.

Regards
      BBC DVD Support

So looks like they are not issuing replacement discs! I reckon they knew about it and issued the discs anyway!

December 17th, 2018 - 12:57pm

Thanks Alan for sharing your response , i know some say this is a minor thing, not as bad as the last release admittedly, but I think if you purchase something it should be correct.

• Gordon

December 17th, 2018 - 2:12pm

I doubt they knew. Those involved with this release had no idea of the error until it got pointed out. It’s just a stroke of luck that the s18 content hadn’t been delivered yet for it to appear on there. Definitely an easier and cheaper prospect to place it on there than doing a replacement disc program

• Rob W

December 17th, 2018 - 3:28pm

I doubt I’ll even play the continuity extras. I do agree all the features ought to be as good as they can be so it is unfortunate. The other option is to return the bixset for a refund.

• Lee

December 17th, 2018 - 8:36pm

I don’t think it’s worth returning just for the continuities. Especially if they’re going to be included on the season 18 boxset. This is an excellent release minus that small issue.

I just noticed my reply to Alan at the top of the page. That was supposed to be a reply to this thread, my mistake.