July 9th, 2024 230 comments

We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.

Doctor Who The Collection Season 25 Limited Edition Packaging

Available to order from www.amazon.co.uk, www.zavvi.com and www.rarewaves.com

With thanks to BBC Studios.

DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION – SEASON 25 available on Blu-ray

Doctor Who fans can continue to build their own home archive on Blu-ray with an eight-disc box set, starring Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

The stories included are Remembrance of the Daleks, The Happiness Patrol, Silver Nemesis and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy. The stories also feature Sophie Aldred who plays iconic 80s companion, Ace, who joins the Doctor to battle Daleks, Cybermen, the murderous Happiness Patrol and the evil forces of the Psychic Circus.

PLUS, fans can experience this season like never before, with brand new extended special editions of all four adventures, exclusive to this Blu-ray set.

The four Special Editions feature unseen footage, updated special effects, immersive surround sound, and surprises. All episodes have been newly remastered from available sources meaning these classic adventures have never looked or sounded so good on home media.

The Collection: Season 25 is also jam-packed with hours of new and exclusive material including:

UPDATED SPECIAL EFFECTS

• Exclusive to Blu-ray, on the original broadcast versions of Remembrance of The Daleks,
    Silver Nemesis and The Greatest Show in The Galaxy.

BEHIND THE SOFA

• New episodes with Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor), Sophie Aldred (Ace), Bonnie Langford (Mel), Nicola Bryant (Peri), Wendy Padbury (Zoe), Janet Fielding (Tegan), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Dame Sheila Hancock (Helen A), Jessica Martin (Mags), Karen Gledhill (Allison) and Mark Hardy (Cyber-Lieutenant).

IN CONVERSATION

• Three new episodes, with Sophie Aldred, script editor Andrew Cartmel and director Chris Clough.

LOOKING FOR DURSLEY

• A documentary looking back at the life and career of Dursley McLinden (Mike).

THE MAKING OF DOCTOR WHO

• A rare vintage documentary from 1988, previously only available on VHS.

SILVER NEMESIS – VHS EXTENDED VERSION

• A version of the story originally released on VHS with extra footage.

SILVER NEMESIS – SPECIAL EDITION OMNIBUS

• A special cut-down feature-length version of this adventure, in the tradition of the 1970s Christmas repeats.

THE COLLECTORS – THE 1980s

• Host Emily Cook chats to Doctor Who collectors about their 1980s treasures.

THE DOCTOR WHO ESCAPE ROOM – TEAM SEVENTH DOCTOR

• Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and Bonnie Langford attempt to escape the room of doom.

WHEN SOPHIE MET LESLEY

• Sophie Aldred chats to Lesley Dunlop, her co-star from The Happiness Patrol who also appeared in the Fifth Doctor story Frontios (1984).

STEPHEN MANSFIELD INTERVIEW

• The practical effects genius looks back on his Season 25 work.

STUDIO & LOCATION FOOTAGE

• Hours of raw footage and outtakes captured during the making of all four stories.

5.1 SURROUND SOUND

RARE ARCHIVAL MATERIAL FROM THE BBC VAULTS

EXCLUSIVE CONVENTION FOOTAGE

HD PHOTO GALLERIES

INFO TEXT

PDF ARCHIVE

PLUS LOTS MORE!

This eight-disc box set also includes hours of special features previously released on DVD including documentaries, featurettes, audio commentaries and more.

The Collection: Season 25 will be released on 21st October 2024.

Categorised under: Blu-ray, DVD

Adverts/Affiliates

July 12th, 2024 - 11:23pm

Not doctor who related but very connected and very welcome

This has appeared on Australian website

Blake’s 7: Series 1 (Blu-Ray)
    United Kingdom 1978 Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Blake’s 7 – One man’s freedom fighter

In Stores November 20 2024

Blake’s 7 was the hit BBC space opera launched in the wake of Star Wars, though with a grittier sensibility and produced on a fraction of the budget. Over 13 episodes the first series introduced freedom-fighter Blake (Gareth Thomas) as he escaped from the Orwellian Federation, gathered a crew of low-life rebels, salvaged an alien starship called the Liberator, and began striking back against the forces of Supreme Commander Servalan (sultry Jacqueline Pearce).

6 discs

Great to hear some sort of confirmation even though it hasn’t been confirmed for the Uk I’d be suprised if it doesn’t get it. Russell Minton who heads up the doctor who collection range is said to be in charge of it which gives me hope it will be as good as the collection sets . There is rumoured to be new effects and commentaries and interviews at the least. Considering it’s listed as 6 discs I’m expecting it to be substantial.

• D84

July 13th, 2024 - 7:14am

I will be bagging a copy of that too

Love Blake’s 7 – very dark

• Whofan44

July 13th, 2024 - 9:54am

I wonder if in the UK these will be standard cases or limited edition packaging? Never seen Blake’s 7 but this would be a good chance to do it.

• Anon

July 12th, 2024 - 6:24pm

Snowman I’ve hosted watched my dimensions in time DVD again. Three versions.

1, the original transmission. Complete with noel Edmunds introduction and outros. Taken from a VHS the quality is fuzzy but watchable.

2, transmission edit. Removes the Edmunds sequences and adds original titles from different eras on episodes. Includes making of dimensions in same segment. Quality is good, not perfect but on my TV it looked good. There is a poor quality version of this on YouTube.

3, fan edit. This version adds sequences taken from new who (Kate lethbridge-Stewart from one of the game videos I think) and a rather silly comedy sketch that doesn’t really help the story improve! I’ve watched it twice but I think the best version is the transmission edit.

The basic fact is the story is preposterous but I don’t mind. The chance in 1993 to see old doctors and companions was great. Yes, not a great anniversary story but it is fun. Having read the lost in the dark dimension story I have to say that is very poor. Not a good story and rather insulting to the other doctors who essentially get minor cameos.

I’m pleased I bought the DVD as I’ve wanted one for since I finally got rid of my video of this story in 2004. 20 years later its just nice to have it again!

• Anon

July 12th, 2024 - 6:30pm

Sorry meant to be a reply to a thread further down.

• Basil Funkenstein

July 11th, 2024 - 8:33pm

Release Schedule Predicition List.

2025 – Season 7 and Season 6
    2026 – Season 16 and Season 21
    2027 – Season 11 and Season 5
    2028 – Season 1 and Wilderness Years/Season 13
    2029 – Season 13/Wilderness Years and Season 4
    2030 – Season 3

I would have put Season 13 last but I doubt they’d want to release 60’s era boxsets so close together. Also I’m not sure if they’ll do a Wilderness Years set and where that will slot in either but figured I’d add as a hypothetical.

I’m interested to see what other people think as well. Always enjoy hearing others predictions.

• Prowl 1701

July 11th, 2024 - 10:15pm

I just filmed a tier list for this myself, our lists are similar.

• Prowl 1701

July 11th, 2024 - 10:15pm

Great minds thinking almost alike, lol.

• GallifreyStands

July 12th, 2024 - 6:30am

At a guess the next release after S25 will be a Davison (s21) then that would complete

5, 6, 7 doctors eras – then it at least looks like The Collection is making progress to the end

Then a Pertwee

• Shaw, Philip

July 12th, 2024 - 9:00am

I agree with your 2025 prediction but the other way round. I think season 6 first then 7 later in the year…

• Prof Horner

July 12th, 2024 - 10:27am

This schedule for 2025/26 agrees with the one I posted a few days ago. As for the rest I think think 1 will come out in 27 With 11. As I said before it all comes down to if or where The Wilderness years slots in. I would like to point out that if season 3 comes out last in 2030 , it is the year I get my state pension! Scary thought!

July 12th, 2024 - 1:41pm

@BasilFunkenstein, I think it’s a good assumption list, like @ProfHorner, I think 1 in 2027 too, @Prowl, I have to stop what I’m doing to watch it now!!

2025 – 7 & 6
      2026 – 21 & 16(/13)
      2027 – 1 & 11
      2028 – 4 & 13(/16)
      2029 – 5 & WY & 3
      2030 – NuWho..?

I mean they have had several same decade sets next to each other though, 19&18, 22&26, 14&8, but only happened thrice!

• Lewis James

July 12th, 2024 - 2:48pm

Season 21 next would be great & would also be nice to to have the 80s era complete. It would also give the teams time to solely focus on the remaining 70s & 60s sets as I know a lot of restoration work needs to be done on the majority of them, barr Tom’s remaining seasons. 16 definitely the next Tom I think as it will be so easy do as we’ve kind of already had 16 released as a box set on the key to time dvd set which I’ve just rewatched. I really hope we have a Mary Tamm tribute on the blu ray set though.

• Prowl 1701

July 12th, 2024 - 4:04pm

@DP Hill, my video should be the one that goes live at the usual time today. Patrons have it already, as I give them a little lead time n videos as a perk.

• Prowl1701

July 12th, 2024 - 7:52pm

I’m looking forward to season 16, as the film elements for the pirate Planet locationbwork still are held by the BBC.

July 12th, 2024 - 11:34pm

My guess for the running order

2025: 7/21
      2026: 6/16
      2027: 1/11
      2028 5/13/4
      2029 3/wilderness

• Babelbro

July 11th, 2024 - 2:26am

@Gordon – it’s 2am, and your mention of the BBC website recently showcasing fresh quality footage from Dimensions in Time has just left me feeling very, very intrigued.

You described the footage to include Bonnie Langford’s scenes, so presumably Langford, Children in Need (and anyone else specific legally required to clear the footage, that worked on her scenes on production, though some say would require the entire surviving production) to have produced an official agreement in writing – which, based on past claims, must also mean that all required costs have also been fully covered to use that Dimensions footage.

Dimensions in Time is notoriously known for being immensely difficult, if impossible to arrange financial and/or legal clearance in terms of distribution outside of the original transmission contract. For this to have been done, for the sheer effort to have been made to officially show even the smallest snippet online – I don’t want to jinx it in any shape or form, dare to dream and all that.

Whoever got that footage cleared, I really want to buy them a beer right now, badly.

• Babelbro

July 11th, 2024 - 10:38am

Follow up: Have just watched the online snippet footage on the BBC website, including raw frame screenshots from the video.

Considering the footage has already gone through two encoding generations, running on a reduced bitrate for stream purposes – the picture quality is crystal clear. Far more colour, far more detail including videotape artefacts that would usually be only noticeable on the recent Doctor Who Blu-ray Collections – it seriously looks that good.

I can’t help but wonder why the BBC wouldn’t want to, or have ever previously considered uploading the remainder of Classic Eastenders (1985-2007) in this same image quality except that for whatever contractual reason they are waiting for UK Drama’s channel to reach 2008, where BBC iPlayer’s own catalogue begins (UK Drama, ironically is at about 2007-08 as I write this, according to their website).

Still… I never ever imagined we would realistically get to see Dimensions in Time visually look this good ever again based on how impossible the paperwork side of things has sounded for decades.

• Bellal

July 11th, 2024 - 11:50am

@ Babelbro

I’m looking for the clip, do u happen to have the link ?

July 11th, 2024 - 3:09pm

It’s 19 seconds, probably called up from the digitised CiN master on a server and put out under fair use/dealing. If you see a clip over 30 secs, then you can get excited (not a word usually linked to DiT).

July 11th, 2024 - 4:00pm

@Bellal if you type in Bonnie Langfords picks from the archives then it should come up and it’s nearer the bottom of that page, you’ll be amazed!

• D84

July 11th, 2024 - 4:16pm

Wow that has cleaned up well

Far clearer than the versions i have watched of DIT on YouTube

I’d love for it top be included on a theoretical Wilderness Years set

• Bellal

July 11th, 2024 - 4:45pm

Cheers Babelbro

I have to say its cleaned up brilliantly, would indeed be great to see on bluray.

Just so happy to see “Madam, what year is thwis?” looking that clear!

July 11th, 2024 - 5:10pm

It doesn’t need cleaning up, it was shot and stored digitally.

• Anon

July 11th, 2024 - 7:32pm

It wasn’t shot digitally. It was shot in 3d but not digital 3d this was 1993 digital filming was a long way off.

July 11th, 2024 - 9:42pm

I should have been clearer, it was recorded onto digital tape, as the BBC were into D3 by then. So no analogue editing with additional analogue tape artefacts, just 1s and 0s all the way.

• Things that go bump in the night

July 10th, 2024 - 2:51pm

What’s the typical production run of these limited sets?

Reason I ask is that Amazon product page is showing 4,000+ units bought in the last month (well even though the website says ‘last month’ it is really since 4th July).

If the other retail sites, such as the one with the dog, are doing 4k+ pre-orders too, it looks like this set could sell out on pre-orders long before the release date?

Didn’t know season 25 was so popular…

Thanks

• Snowman

July 10th, 2024 - 6:01pm

I love Season 25, there’s some Good Stories, I loved TGSITG and the Happiness Patrol on First Viewing live in the 80s and you can’t go wrong with Dalek and Cybermen Stories. Theirs also some Superb Villians. And I mean who doesn’t love the Kandyman?

• Jake E

July 10th, 2024 - 6:08pm

I was always under the impression roughly 10,000 but it may be higher nowadays.

Season 12 First print was 5,000 and second print was 5,000. But I could be wrong

July 10th, 2024 - 8:06pm

10k to 12k is what’s usually mentioned, and no one’s come out to contradict that. We know that not everyone is collecting all the releases though, so whether they tweak things or not would be interesting to hear – S26 sold out and isn’t the most common resale, S24 still warms the shelves even with regular significant discounts.

July 10th, 2024 - 11:06pm

I heard 16k but also told it wasn’t that

July 11th, 2024 - 3:14pm

They could have bumped it to 16k as a test perhaps? It would explain the shelf warmers.

• Tom Williams

July 9th, 2024 - 8:53pm

Might already been mentioned but season one steelbook and season 25 blu ray via the app can get a 15 pound discount till 23d off August

• AfricanQueen

July 10th, 2024 - 3:42pm

Which app is that?

• Tom Williams

July 10th, 2024 - 5:00pm

I commented Amazon but the reply was removed

• AfricanQueen

July 10th, 2024 - 7:28pm

• Prof Horner

July 9th, 2024 - 1:18pm

So as seems likely that we are going to get two season boxsets a year. How will a the proposed Wilderness years slot in to the release schedule? Will it come at the very end with I assume season 3.
    If we have 6 and 7 next year , with maybe 16 and 21 the following year. Maybe 1 and 11 in 2027. 5 and 13 in 28. Then the rest in 29/30.
    So where does Wilderness years slot in?

• The DR.

July 9th, 2024 - 2:43pm

I don’t think anyone knows Prof, It’s pure Guesswork. After everyone’s had a Guess your still none the wiser.

• Craig F

July 9th, 2024 - 6:23pm

Season one will probably be last due to the rights issue, unless Seth C passes sooner!

• MIKK89

July 9th, 2024 - 7:38pm

There is a Possibilty that by then, as The Group had stated they were interested in giving New Who (2005-2022) could be next as they could look into not only digging through the archives for each Series but new extras might be interesting (Series One with a Christopher Eccleston In Conversation – As the ones I have seen with Matthew Sweet do show the issues raised during their respective eras, might be a fascinating watch) Include the TARDISodes and Trails and TV Spots from Series 2…, and even though there aren’t many reasons to upgrade Special Effects, imagine all Multi-Parters have an option to watch as Broadcast or in a Collection Exclusive Feature Length Version)

• anon

July 9th, 2024 - 7:47pm

Rose and aliens of london/world war three from series 1 could really do with a CG makeover for starters when the new series sets come through.

• Prowl1701

July 9th, 2024 - 9:45pm

End of the world could use some new effects too

July 9th, 2024 - 10:30pm

I mean it’s up for grabs really as to when, could be 2026 for thirty years of McGann, or 2029/30 for 40 years since wilder began? Either way mcgann seems to have some conversation about the collection, however small

July 10th, 2024 - 12:59am

If the 2005 series were to happen it would be after the classic series is completed. That includes the potential wilderness years set. If the wilderness years set were to happen it probably wouldn’t need a huge amount of restoration work unless the original movie film negatives were found. Looking at that 20 second clip of Bonnie that was on the bbc site dimensions looks in very good condition if it gets cleared for release. Most of the work will be on clearances and creating new features which are done quite a bit in advance. Rest of it is archival material which probably just needs digitised and a slight audio tweaks, Can see it being released as a 3rd release one year.

• Prowl 1701

July 10th, 2024 - 6:27am

I wonder if they would try to get any of the reeltime, or bbv spin-offs on their sets as they were big during that time. Return to devil’s end and stuff like that. I wonder just what all they could get, as that era really is bursting with potential materiel.

• DpHill

July 10th, 2024 - 10:53am

I mean it would be very interesting, because without the reeltime and bbv there would be a bough material for a decent 8 disc set including the new stuff generated,

Depends what would be clearance and if possible, and also not sure about how much would be or how many would like it? I for one would love it! Also wartime could have been on a McCoy if they were going down that road, also depends on if the dvd special features would all go on them or just that feature with new features

With all features
      1 disc – wartime chronicles (has quite a lot packed in there) + return to devils end
      1 disc – downtime (also a fair bit) + shakedown
      1 disc – probe 1-4 (not really many special features on these)
      1 disc – autom trilogy & cyberon
      1 disc – mindgama saga
      1 disc – daemons rising and maybe zygon?
      1 disc – the stranger…?

I wouldn’t know whether they’d put the later reeltime stuff on here of later on…

If it was barebones then I’d say 2-3 disc but with all their features it’s about 6 discs so May then need to split wilderness years set – which I don’t think they’d like to do unless Richard w grant was the doctor on the later wilderness set and Paul McGann on the early wilderness?

I won’t get my hopes up on the unofficial spin offs just yet! It’s a fun thought tho!

• Bellal

July 10th, 2024 - 1:31pm

Maybe an “official” boxset with dimensions if possible, the movie, curse of fatal death, shalka, and all additional material as one set. Could then do an “unofficial” wilderness one separate with what can get cleared.

Probably will never see reeltime, bbv, etc. But would be great!

July 11th, 2024 - 4:03am

I think we might get clips from the likes of bbv and realtime but I doubt we will get the full things. Shakedown might be an exception with it being owned by big finish. I can see it being crammed with just archival bbc content and newly produced material and not having much space for much bbv or realtime . This is what I kind of see a wilderness years being if everything is clearable

Disc one: the wilderness years documentary. A brand newly produced feature length feature covering as much ground as possible from 89-05 90 min -2 hours

Extras: new! The writers room season 27. in conversation: Alan Yentop

any archive content from 89-92 so search out space from 90, Tony Slattery‘s cult heroes radio documentary (if it still exists) from 91, reistance is futile from 92, any blue Peter themed appearances (there is a at least 1 segment from 91 that was who related) the wilderness years documentary (from the tv movie special edition),

Disc 2: 1993

Thirty years in the tardis (transmitted version)
      More than 30 years in the tardis (vhs version)

Extras: newly produced for this release: dark dimension feature, more than 30 years in the tardis revisited,

planet of the daleks repeat mini features, rock n roll years 1963 (it’s probably not clearable to do the whole thing so just the doctor who bit), any other 1993 bbc appearances that exist, 1993 mastermind doctor who specialist subject, Nicholas Courtney radio documentary 30 years, the paradise of death radio show (if not on season 11)

Disc 3: 93-96 dimensions in time

Extras: newly produced for this release: 5.1 mix, commentary, production subs, Extended version, making of, behind the sofa, rushes (I believe there is a significant amount), deleted and alternative scenes, pudsey who: look back at various doctor who appearances throughout the years

Jon pertwee Noel Edmond’s house party clip
      Children in need links, tomorrow’s world feature, any other cin material. The movie game (95 game show that had a one off segment about doctor who vhs releases hosted by John barrowman), verity lambert January 1996 talking points appearance. John pertwee death news reports, ghosts of n space (if not on s11), shakedown. Any blue Peter connected appearances

Disc 4-6 1996: tv movie

Absolute pipe dream this but if they can get their hands on the original reels remastered from the original film reels with new fx with

Newly produced extras for this release: 5.1 mix, new commentary with Eric Roberts, Daphne ashbrook, yee Jee Tso, location making of, behind the sofa, in conversations with Paul mcgann, Eric Roberts, Daphne ashbrook, Jee Jee Tso and philip Segal. The doctor’s table, the 8th doctor on audio overview, The writers room the unmade McGann series. Film rushes (if available) deleted/extended scenes (if available)

Uk and Us broadcast edits, original dvd features, animated shada (narratively should appear later in the box set but fits better here). Night of the doctor. I do want to make 1 exception to no bbv with bidding adieu which I feel is essential.

Disc 7: 1997-2000

Curse of fatal death:

Newly produced extras: Fatal death revisited, commentary, behind the sofa, vhs documentary, Red Nose who: overview discussing various rnd features over the years, film rushes if available, deleted scenes if available

Destiny of the doctors links, of Doctor who night 1998 links, doctor who night 99 links, adventures in space and time documentary, the pitch of fear, the web of caves and kidnappers skits and other doctor who night1999 featurettes, whatever you want show had people wanting to win a tardis, blue peter connected appearances from this period (there are a couple from 98-99 at least) generation game footage from episode October 2000 that featured memorabilia and Colin in costume

Disc 8 2001- 2002

Death comes to real time
      Real time

Newly produced features: documentary covering the making of the bbci animation’s. Behind the sofas

Jon culshaw 2001 The Secret of Germany v England short and other Tom skits, k9 and company finest failures, Michael grade 101 appearance, the wire: regenerations radio documentary with Sophie Aldred,

Disc 9: 2003-2004

Scream of the shalka

Newly produced extras: commentary with Richard e grant, in conversation with Richard e grant, behind the sofa

Shalka dvd extras, the story of doctor who, Colin baker 2003 top gear appearance, alchemists of sound radiophonic workshop 2003 radio documentary, reboot announcement news, blue Peter connected appearances, 2004 colin baker weakest link appearance, 2004 mastermind specialist subject, Anything after 1 January 2005 (the first teaser) can go in a potential series 1 collection release

Disc 10: bonus material not fitting elsewhere

Doctor forever 5 part series, who Peter part 2, keeper of traken and 4 to doomsday footage and anything else that has turned up that goes on seasons that have already been released.
      The tales of the tardis opening/closing links

July 11th, 2024 - 4:11pm

It would be a shock to see it, and a nice surprise, but could be done, I mean times wise look:

The Stranger (6 episodes, 300 min approx)
      PROBE (4-5 episodes, 235-285 min app.)
      Auton Trilogy (3 ep, 160m)
      Dr Lauren Anderson (2 ep, 115m)

BBVtotal – 15-16 episodes, 800-850 minutes
      Reeltime is about 320 min, including Shakedown, and including the other two is 570min

Reeltime generally has a wealth of special features and BBV not so much so with a couple new ones, it’s definitely packed in material, if they’d ever do it, unlikely, but if they did, I’d love for them to call it something like “The Collection: Deeper Wilderness”

July 12th, 2024 - 3:55pm

Sorry your comment came up after I had posted @Gordon, it’s a really great set layout, and I think if they just went barebones and had the bbv reeltime stuff on its own and perhaps Minimal making ofs, I think you’d be have a huge set. Also due to the nature of the footage I don’t know how much remastering in true he can be done, so the discs will likely able to hold a bit more than usual due to their low quality

Unlikely Deeper Wilderness collection:

Disc 1 – Wartime Chronicles

Old – 5 hr 7 m
      Wartime Original
      Wartime Revised (-adding 5m)
      ReUNITed
      In depth making of Wartime (I think there’s 5 chapters to it)
      Katy Manning Introduction
      Jon Pertwee and UNIT live on stage
      Return to Devil’s End

New: photo gallery, scripts, isolated scores, trailers, behind the sofa?, new wartime featurette

Disc 2 – The Stranger #1-4

Old: 4 hr 5 m
      Summoned by Shadows
      More Than a Messiah
      In Memory Alone
      The Terror Game
      Making Of Summoned by Shadows
      Making of More than a Messiah
      Making of In Memory Alone
      Outtakes
      Video Diary of The Terror Game

New: photo gallery, scripts, isolated scores, behind the sofa maybe as a compilation or just one or two (summoned and memory)?, new who is the stranger featurette for eps 1-4, Benton featurette, trailers

Disc 3 – Shakedown (& The Stranger #4-5)

Old: 5 hr ish
      Breach of the Peace
      Eye of the Beholder (Including original two part versions adding only about 7m)
      Shakedown: Return of the Sontarans
      Making of Shakedown
      BOTP cast interview, outtakes, extended scenes
      EOTB cast interview and outtakes
      The Airzone Solution

New: photo gallery, scripts, trailers, isolated scores, behind the sofa maybe for one or both stranger but definitely for shakedown, new Solomon the stranger featurette for eps 5-6/7, new shakedown featurette, sontaran featurette

Disc 4 – PROBE

Old: 5 hr 12m
      The Zero Imperative
      Deleted Scene
      The Devil of Winterborne (Including original two part versions adding only about 7m)
      Unnatural Selection
      Ghosts of Winterborne
      When to Die

New: photo gallery, scripts, trailers, isolated scores, probe featurette, liz featurette, behind the sofa (maybe of one or a compilation of them), mark gatiss interview

Disc 5 – 1995: Downtime

Old: 2 hr 34 m
      Downtime
      Behind the Lens
      Post Production

New: Downtime updated Effects, photo gallery, script, trailers, isolated scores, new making of looking at this episodes doctor who callbacks, Keith Barnfather In conversation, behind the sofa

Disc 6 – Auton Trilogy (& Cyberon)

Old: 4hr 55m
      Auton
      Sentinel
      Awakening
      Making of Auton
      Making of Auton 2
      Auton Diaries 1998 & 2005
      Cyberon

New: scripts, photo galleries, trailers, isolated scores, behind the sofa for Auton trilogy, New auton trilogy doc examining auton trilogy, updated effects?? Cyberon featurette

Disc 7 – Mindgame Saga & Dæmos Rising

Making music
      Making Ofs for all
      Slideshows
      Retrospectives
      Guy Leopold Speaks!
      Interviews

New: all scripts, trailers, isolated scores, behind the sofa for Dæmos, Kate featurette

Disc 8 – 2003/2008: Zygon (BBV mop up disc)

Old: 4hr 44m
      Zygon: When Being You Just Isn’t Enough
      Stranger than Fiction
      Stranger than Fiction II script to screen
      Stranger than Fiction III acting up
      Bidding adieu
      Do you have a license to save this planet?
      30 years of Time Travel and Beyond…

New: zygon feature, photo gallery, script, trailer, music track

Disc 8 – White Witch of Devils’ End

Disc 9 – Sil & the Devil Seeds of Arodor

Both are pretty much up to date and have their own blu rays for d9-10, so I’d just include photo galleries, scripts, music tracks if missing, and a behind the sofa on each, with a Sil and Dæmons featurette, also maybe a Nichola Beiggs in conversation on the last disc

Would have had Bill Baggs but not after his recent behaviours

This is the set alongside wilderness that lives rent free in my head!!

July 12th, 2024 - 3:56pm

Also @gordon return to shads could go on it couldnt it? The actually wilderness set!m of course

July 13th, 2024 - 12:23am

I listed the return to shada with all the tv movie extras. I know narratively it fits later on in the box set but I feel it fits best there.

That deeper wilderness looks about right. I would buy that. It would probably never happen. The realtime material certainly is more likely than bbv. Keith is in good terms with the collection team. All the previous history of cease and desists and recent actions, questionable hirings and lawsuits connected with bill baggs could make the bbc give him and most of his work a wide berth. Thats before you take into account there are an enormous list of people that were involved with some of those features who are not on good terms with him. The likes of Colin and nicola were owed substantial money and have less than kind words for bill. Nicholas briggs, mark gattis and various other people are also people not on good terms over lack of payment and other issues,

• Whofan44

July 8th, 2024 - 12:58pm

So regarding a possible Wilderness years set do we think Dimensions in Time could be included now? I know that previously there has always been issues with releasing it due to agreements made at the time but I feel something may have changed.

Not only has an image of the 3rd Doctor from the story been used in Rogue but a scene from it has been posted on the BBC website in the article “Bonnie Langford’s picks from the Doctor Who Archive”. I don’t recall the BBC ever having posted clips from the story before which makes me think something regarding the stories distribution may have change which gives me hope of it being released on blu-ray

• Rory

July 8th, 2024 - 5:10pm

The version we have is so fuzzy and pixelated that it’s impossible to tell what’s going on.

To be fair, it was always impossible to tell what was going on.

July 8th, 2024 - 5:43pm

@Whofan44 I am with you on that, we have now got two rare American docs only previously broadcast or vhs, none on dvd (that s25 making of dr who and s20 once upon a time lord) so it could be possible, that with rights to the Rani also being noticeable seem as she has been mentioned, just don’t know if the charity part of it holds up or if they have found a way to donate through profits? Id love to tell what is going on though in it in both senses on picture and plot @Rory

July 8th, 2024 - 6:01pm

Was Rogue using literally an image? Because a still, or still with a bit of animation, would be under different agreements – you could even license a still for a project you were working on yourself.

The clip use is interesting, but it’s extremely brief (19s) so probably just under fair use. What it does look like though is that people are no longer trying to pretend that it doesn’t exist. (They’ve realised that no amount of wishing will make that happen!)

July 8th, 2024 - 6:44pm

Rory: Ha! You’re not wrong there…

For anyone who does want a good (technically speaking…) copy, there are people out there who can help you out. There are even proper, good Who fans who won’t ask for money.

• Whofan44

July 8th, 2024 - 8:34pm

Your right that the clip could have been done under fair use but I feel like there is more going on given that they just randomly start acknowledging it

• Anon

July 8th, 2024 - 9:43pm

The deal to get dimensions in time made stated it would never be released commercially that hasn’t changed. Curse of fatal death had an agreement to release a VHS tape but it was a one off deal meaning no future release in any other format.

July 8th, 2024 - 10:12pm

It looks in really good condition as well which might be a positive sign.

July 9th, 2024 - 8:03am

Richard bignell said that extremely high clearance cost is the biggest hurdle with an official release these days rather than the whole never getting a physical release thing

• Rob

July 9th, 2024 - 9:20am

If RTD team could get it cleared for iplayer, then that might lead the way for media.

• Snowman

July 9th, 2024 - 12:49pm

There’s a rather nice DVD copy of “Dimensions in Time” on Ebay at the Moment. The Sleeves Designed to look like all the other Dr Who DVDs in the collection.

• Anon

July 9th, 2024 - 3:34pm

It’s good snowman, curse of fatal death and mission are great too

July 9th, 2024 - 10:28pm

Just be careful it ain’t a cyber devil cover by Matthew purchase as someone has been selling his work recently on eBay

• The Unlicensed Physician

July 10th, 2024 - 12:25am

So how much are people paying now for someone to remove their copy of DiT? l’d charge the price of a wasp nest removal for a VHS, and the price of a killer bee removal for a DVD-R, ‘cos those things reproduce easily and I’d want danger money.

• Snowman

July 10th, 2024 - 5:49pm

Anon, I just bought the “Dimensions in time” DVD yesterday. I couldn’t resist when I saw he had made the Sleeve to fit in with the rest of my Classic Dr Who DVD collection. I just hope the Picture is DVD Quality and not (VHS). Ill have to check out the other Two stories you mentioned. I noticed he had a Copy of “Wheel in Space” aswell that I was more than tempted with. The Cover looks Great also and they all fit in with the Classic DVDs.

• Anon

July 10th, 2024 - 7:02pm

Snowman, the quality is okay but it is of course taken via a VHS copy. The disc has three edits if dimensions on and frankly I’ll take the picture quality in order just to have it. Curse has two versions of the story and the VHS making of. Mission features the uclan version in b+w, an animation and a reconstruction. Wheel is worth it if only to replace the CD version. It’s a full reconstruction using the existing episodes, clips and the cybermen are CGI reconstructions. I’m very happy with it and it will do me fine until we get an animation (hopefully)

July 10th, 2024 - 8:12pm

Snowman: Surely it has to be VHS quality as that’s where the off-airs come from. I don’t think there’s anything better leaked out, nor even an S-VHS recording.

• Anon

July 10th, 2024 - 8:26pm

Snowman and rex, it’s video quality, it is what it is. But it’s better than nothing and it’s perfectly watchable.

• Snowman

July 11th, 2024 - 11:57am

I’ll be fine with the DVD of “Dimensions in Time”. I just hoped the Picture Quality was fairly Decent that’s all. I wasnt Expecting 4K Ultra HD as it hasnt ever been Officially released.(The only thing that really bothered me was a comment from someone that had an old copy and it was “Heavily Pixelated, Distorted and Virtually unwatchable”. So I’m not sure where there Copy came from)?

• Snowman

July 11th, 2024 - 12:01pm

It’s “Rory”, Second comment down on this Thread. (I’ve just checked).

• Anon

July 11th, 2024 - 1:50pm

Version I’ve got is fine. Obviously vhs copy but watchable.

July 11th, 2024 - 3:20pm

I’ve still got my VHS, but only because the tape has good stuff after it. I’m amazed I bothered to record part two to be honest, and I can clearly remember taking down a 30th anniversary poster out of embarrassment after part one.

• Rory

July 11th, 2024 - 5:09pm

@Snowman, I was commenting on the YouTube version with all of the Noel Edmonds faff included, and making a joke about the skit being incoherent.

I definitely haven’t paid anyone money to send me a copy of DiT.

• Anon

July 11th, 2024 - 7:43pm

Last year and earlier this year I bought a lot of stuff that was unofficial. Stuff I would not normally have hone near but it was all stuff I wanted, some of it for years.

On DVD I bought all of the missing stories as reconstructions (at the time no more animations seemed a strong possibility) and even though almost as soon as i watched the last one underwater and toymaker were announced I don’t mind as I can’t listen to audio anymore so the DVDs are perfect until I get the animations (if they do them all.) I also bought dimensions in time, and yes, its terrible but I still wanted it and I bought curse of fatal death as it is one I wanted too.

And then there were books as well. I got the 5 New Zealand fan club books which I bought back in 2000 and which i still have, but i got proper target book versions. Alongside them I got as target books, lost in the dark dimension, curse of the daleks (script in target book style), the iron legion (novelisation of the comic strip), the final game (adaptation of the final 3rd doctor master story), trial of a time lord (blue spine omnibus edition) and dimensions in time. All unofficial and I normally would not have supported this type of thing but these are all items I wanted so I bought them.

• Prof Horner

July 8th, 2024 - 11:26am

Is the view that season 7 will come before 6? Certainly 7 should only need 5 or 6 discs . Where as 6 would probably need at least 8 or 9. I probably asked this before, but how many episodes can you get on a blu ray disc, I am thinking of The Invasion with 8 episodes and The War Games with 10 episodes. Surely they can’t have all those episodes plus the extras on one disc? I am thinking an eighth disc for The Invasion and War Games extras and disc nine for bonus features for season 6 .
    Season 7 coming out in next spring and 6 in Autumn of next year. With The Wheel in Space coming out in animation as well.

• D84

July 8th, 2024 - 12:25pm

I would love Wheel in Space to come as an Animation – but current rumours suggest the next animation could be “Smugglers”

I would imagine whenever the S7 set happens it will be at least 6 discs.

The bulk of extra’s will likely be homed onto the Spearhead disc plus at least 1 disc reserved just for extras (all my own guess)

We have been hearing that S6 may be coming for a fair while – at least a year possibly 18 months whereas any news of S7 has only just started.

I would guess the next B&W set to come will be S6 with a stills representation of Space Pirates – but that may not be the “next” set

• Lewis James

July 8th, 2024 - 3:31pm

I really hope season 7 is within the next couple of releases as it’s by far my favourite Pertwee season & Inferno is all time favourite Pertwee story by far. Also looking forward to Pat Troughton coming to blu ray having just done a completed run on dvd with all the current animations now in place. Hopefully season 21 my favourite Davison will be within the next 3-4 releases & cannot wait for the all singing, all dancing special extended updated special effects version of my fave silvester story, remembrance of the daleks. Exciting times ahead for us classic fans I’d say.

July 8th, 2024 - 5:39pm

I think with new features as usual 9 disc is a safe bet maybe even 10, if that’s feasible, one disc per story with invasion and war games having two, and new features can go spare space there, and if there are still too many features, disc 10, I think they aren’t gonna go small anymore, 20 having 9 and 25 having 8, with S7, I think 7 disc minimum – the seven parters all having two disc, even possibly spearhead as well as it is a beginning of a grand era, maybe extra stuff may easily go on that, or as bonus disc 8. They’ll probably put everything possible for both those seasons as they’re highly regarded! I also bet 21 will be definitely 8 disc, caves maybe having two…

July 8th, 2024 - 7:09pm

You can get around 180 mins at max bitrate on a BD50, and as 4:3 ratio material is 25% black bar then you can get equal quality results (to a widescreen source) for nine episodes. Two discs each for Invasion and War Games doesn’t seem like an impossibility though, with a Space Pirates disc also being the bonus disc (there’s never gonna be a need for an updated disc there). The big b&w more expensive Season 2 was the first sell out in an age, so I don’t think S6 is one where they’d need to cut corners.

July 8th, 2024 - 11:17pm

6,7 and 21 are the next 3 I’ve been told with 7 coming first then 6 and finally 21 to take us into 2026. Richard bignell has said that order is news to him which suggests it might not be the case.

You should be able to fit the entirety of the invasion or war games on a single disc but I can see them needing a 2nd disc each for the extras. They might even use the space pirates disc to fit more extras from those stories that might keep the discs down slightly. 6 will probably be an 8/9 discs

As for 7 I can see spearhead getting 2 discs. The spearhead blu ray already has almost 200 minutes of hd content and that’s before you take into account there will be additional extras (30 mins behind the sofa and potentially other features) and there is also going to be the dvd extras. Probably benefits from 2 discs. I can see some of the 7 parters getting 2 discs. Maybe ambassadors might get 1 depending on how much new features it gets as the dvd was pretty light on extras (only 30 mins that are portable to ambassadors: 25 minutes making of/90 sec trailer/4 min photo gallery). The other feature tomorow’s times will get moved to planet of the spiders. Alternatively they could treat the 2nd ambassadors as it’s extra disc. Inferno will need 2 as like other stories like colony in space there will be 2 restorations. Silurians has nearly 90 minutes of extras already so I can see to going to 2 discs. Could be 7-8 discs. I’m actually all for the 7 parters to have the episodes on 1 disc to give the best bit rate and the extras on a 2nd disc

July 8th, 2024 - 11:23pm

Do want to also mention that network regularly managed to put out 4ish hours on a single disc so I feel technically you could put the whole war games on a single disc

• Rob

July 9th, 2024 - 1:31pm

Ambassador’s needs major work on the rainbow patterns.

• Callum

July 7th, 2024 - 2:32pm

Hopefully someone can help. Whats the diffrence between the limited edition and standard release of these sets?

• James

July 7th, 2024 - 2:52pm

Both have the same content. The limited is in a bulky cardboard box with a J card outer where as the standard is a normal blu ray case within a cardboard box. Makes it kinda half the size maybe a bit more compared to limited. And the booklet in the standard is a condensed version with the basic disc info, whereas the limited has more info about the stories and actors.
      Rule of thumb the standard version comes out 2 years after the limited and is about 10 -15 pounds cheaper

• Callum

July 7th, 2024 - 5:11pm

Thank you @James as i did wonder, as some of the limited editions are expensive now and want to start collocting these as i have them all on dvd.

• The Time Lord 1944

July 8th, 2024 - 12:39am

Some of the Limited Editions had errors and faults on the discs which were corrected by the time the standard edition came out. So holding out for the standard edition has it’s advantages.

• X08-Chill

July 9th, 2024 - 10:08am

The standard is probably the better pick for most people (the discs are exactly the same), but I love the Limited Editions packaging style. (it feels much more premium and like effort and thought has gone in to make it a true collectors edition)

Some fans buy the limited and then sell it after the standard comes out too tbf

• RPG74

July 9th, 2024 - 12:11pm

Apparently, the errors on Season 22 limited have not been corrected for the standard release, and there is the uncomfortable possibility that future mistakes will be left untouched, lest fans start demanding replacement discs. So we can put a red line through one of those pros.

• Jake E

July 7th, 2024 - 11:44am

Happy 105th Birthday Jon Pertwee!

Is it fair to say these collection sets probably won’t get completed until 2029? Yikes haha 🙂

July 7th, 2024 - 11:13pm

Think it could still finish in 2028. Seasons 4 and 5 could potentially have quicker turn arounds due to animation and special editions doing a lot of the leg work in advance.

Picture restoration

3 x tenth planet
      2 x underwater menace
      2 x moonbase
      2 x faceless

Ep2 of evil was restored for the blu ray release of the animation. The faceless ones eps used old remasters on the animated release so that will probably get a going over. The underwater menace used the dvd remasters from 2015.

9 episodes

In terms of sound restoration

4 x tenth planet
      4 x moonbase

Smugglers, power,menace,macra,faceless,evil alll had sound remastered for the animated blu rays. Highlanders got its soundtrack remastered in 2020 as part of the power special Edition release but got removed for space reasons.

8 episodes

Season 5

Picture restoration

4 x tomb
      4 x ice
      2 x wheel

The total has a potential to drop 2 if wheel gets restored as part of an animated release before a season 5 release. I didn’t include enemy as it got a hd remaster for the special edition though it never got a release. Web got hd remastered for its special edition as did ep 2 of abominable.

8-10 episodes

Sound restoration

4 x tomb
      6 x ice
      6 x wheel

Has the potential of dropping 6 if wheel gets animated. Abominable, web and fury got its sound restored for the animations. Enemy got hd sound restored despite not having a dvd release.

10-16 episodes.

So in terms of picture restoration for both seasons 17-19 episodes and 18 and 24 episodes in sound. There is also the possibility that they may want to do some work to the animations (rough and tumble per chance) which may mean additional audio work will be required and there also maybe the possibility that mark may want to give a 5.1 mix to one of the already animated ones thus increasing the total.

• Prowl 1701

July 8th, 2024 - 5:50am

You know smugglers has had its sound remastered for animation already?

Tbf if anyone here knew that, it would be you, Gordon.

July 8th, 2024 - 6:43am

Oh sorry this list is if the rumours of a smugglers animation are true which I would like to believe it is.

July 8th, 2024 - 8:15am

Mark ayres has said he would have liked to have tackled the special edition of silver nemesis however it didn’t happen partly because Pete mctighe ended up doing it but he did say he wouldn’t have have been able to do it anyway as he had been extremely busy this year due to toymaker, season 25 and “another project I cannot yet talk about“ so there is something

I doubt it’s another season set so potentially an animation or another of the in colour releases however It might not be doctor who related. He did remaster the audio for the dad’s army animations last year. There is the rumoured Blake 7 blu ray project that I’m fairly certain is happening. Sally Knyvette has said she’s recorded some commentaries and interviews for a season 1 release that she says is due in September though i can see that date slipping as it hadn’t yet been announced. Some pics of filming extras with the liberator also leaked out. Kevin Jon Davies has also hinted his making ofs that he produced but was never used on the DVDs might be getting a release (“you might hear more info on those soon”). Ian Levine is claiming Russell Minton is going to be producing that range as well which makes mark’s involvement a possibility.

It also might not even be tv related. Just last year he did an atmos mix for the band orbital and also remixed the song staircase for the deluxe version of Steven Wilson’s harmony codex and compiled the inventions for radio vinyl box set.

July 8th, 2024 - 5:50pm

He did a remix for orbital? Couldn’t possibly be related to their dr who 2003 40th anniversary trailer track could it and so for a wilderness set? I know, probably seeing patterns in things that aren’t there!

Also @Gordon, this basically means in ways they’re more like the work, perhaps a little more, of the 86-89 seasons, but less than the average 25+ episode set? A bit like 12 would you say? (The work for s4-5)

Also I bet you’re on the money with smugglers, your deductions, as ever, make concise and logical sense!

• Prowl1701

July 8th, 2024 - 7:22pm

I’d certainly be happy getting smugglers as the next animation. Loved the novelization.

July 8th, 2024 - 7:34pm

I thought the big remaster/upscale project this year was Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em, but I won’t complain about a second one. I’d be very happy to see B7 get a similar treatment to Who, OTT noise reduction excluded. I just really hope they’ve had someone with a keen eye note the problems with the previous attempt at a remaster so as not to repeat them. I did actually have a list I made for Series A, but there were so many that I never bothered to fix them – life’s too short! And in case anyone’s looking in, no dodgy freeze frames for reinserted film transfer cross-fades please – it wasn’t necessary at the time, even less so now when a kid with a laptop can avoid it (unlike the adults who remastered 1984 recently, surprisingly shoddy work weaker than what the DW Restoration Team were doing twenty years ago).

July 8th, 2024 - 10:00pm

@dphill the orbital project was an atmos mix of the Optical Delusion album for a blu ray audio release that was released last year. Unfortunately it sold out and now it goes for £95. Still not as bad as Steven Wilson’s harmony codex that mark did a remix of the song staircase for. Long sold out and goes for £295 on eBay.

@rex f I believe there are a few things that are either being worked on or planned. Some mothers and Blake’s 7 are only 2 of them. Bottom (believe bbc were really happy with the young ones blu ray sales so that might happen sooner) and vicar of dibley are also reportedly being ”on the list to be done” as well as potentially one foot in the grave (Algarve got an hd remaster broadcast over Christmas) and only fools.

July 10th, 2024 - 12:33am

Dibley would be nice because my favourite episodes still haven’t been released in original widescreen. They could also put back the previously unclearable music into the extended home video edits for a third and final definitive version.

• Auton

July 6th, 2024 - 10:06pm

At the Android Invasion Day Convention, they were recording more interviews and stuff for the Nicholas Courtney tribute just as they had been doing at Aldbourne

July 7th, 2024 - 6:43am

Yep. Heard this also. It could hypothetically go on either 5,6,7,11 or 13 but I think 7 is the obvious place to have it as it’s the one he’s in the most.

• D84

July 7th, 2024 - 1:07pm

I enjoyed Android Invasion day.

Am hoping to see myself in the crowd on any shots or footage that is included on a future set

• The Unlicensed Physician

July 7th, 2024 - 4:40pm

D84: Did you sign the release form? ‘Cos otherwise they have to blur you out.

(Not really.)

• JLBWHO

July 6th, 2024 - 2:49pm

I really hope the physhic circus music video is included in the special features. Love that tune

• Prowl 1701

July 7th, 2024 - 12:41am

Me too, really enjoy it as well.

July 7th, 2024 - 6:51am

Can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t. It was on the dvd

July 6th, 2024 - 11:07am

Also posting here because it’s more obvious, I saw McGann at a Yorkshire Comic con in Harrogate and he was lovely! An exciting day meeting Colin and Nicola as well as Brian blessed!!

I did ask him whether or not he thinks he should be on a collection set as I said he ought to be with all the wilderness stuff! He was happy and said I absolutely should be! Doesn’t say much but a little later after signing my dvd, I said I’m guessing you’ve been a busy man seen as you’re not on the other collection features and he said well I am busy so I’d rather focus that time and energy on when they do mine, the ones that the fans have named…

I don’t know if I’m reading much into that, but fans did name the wilderness years, and he said when they do mine, i wonder if this hints ever more favourably to a wilderness years set with McGann on the front?

July 7th, 2024 - 7:40am

With only 10 season sets left to put out and a number of them already having features already been recorded they are going to have to think about that set and commission it sooner rather than later if they are doing it.

Chris chapman alone had his 39th blu ray feature commissioned on the 28th of June. Taking into account only 28 of those have been announced or released there is still 11 unannounced features from him. That doesn’t include stuff like the escape rooms, Tom talks, behind the sofas in conversations the collectors and other features which have been banked over the years that he doesn’t make. Steve broster is the one directing and producing the Nicholas Courtney documentary I believe and Pete mctighe is also doing one to do with target books which might be on season 11 (the first target release was about 74 so fits there narratively) so there is more to come from other people. There is only so many releases left and no matter how well they budget there is only so many features that can be made on those releases. 10 seasons and maybe 10/11 animated releases to go till we get a full run of classic releases

July 8th, 2024 - 6:37pm

Indeed they are, I also had another thought about a bridge between new and classic who if they did treat us to new who, but after the whole range is done, and there may be sets with animations completed (or when there are no unrepresented stories) they could have a modern blu ray collection called lost in time and have swappable discs with the animation and the other features on with that sets artwork relevant to each disc, or just have a non swappable set perhaps

Either way, wilderness should be on their radar now if they will do it! A target one would fit perfectly, I think it was very late 73 or feb 74 so fits for 11, id love sone new features about bbv and real-time, eda and virgin, and to just have all those little main who special treats in the weird and wonderful wilderness

• rich

July 6th, 2024 - 9:08am

I’m waiting for the set with zero versions of each of these terrible stories.

July 6th, 2024 - 10:03am

Every season is someone’s favourite.

July 6th, 2024 - 10:21am

Well currently zero season 25 stories is already released on 12, 19, 18, 10, 23, 26, 14, 8, 24, 17, 22, 2, 9, 20, & 15, and that’s just classic who! Spoilt for choice of zero versions of s25 stories!! Lucky you

• Mason Spencer

July 6th, 2024 - 4:06pm

You think Remembrance of the Daleks is a terrible story?

• HiViz

July 6th, 2024 - 6:07pm

Hey look at this guy who thinks negative opinions make him a interesting person