April 16th, 2019 232 comments

Doctor Who The Collection Season 10 Blu-ray

Available to order in the UK from www.zoom.co.uk

Also available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Also available to order in the UK from www.zavvi.com

Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

BBC Studios announces Season 10 as the next installment in the DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION Blu-ray range

BBC Studios continues to offer Doctor Who fans the opportunity to build their own home archive on Blu-ray. The first jam-packed release for Jon Pertwee’s Third Doctor, Doctor Who – The Collection: Season 10, debuts on Monday 8th July, the very day after Pertwee himself would have turned 100.

In 1973, Doctor Who celebrated its tenth anniversary with a very special story reuniting the first two Doctors – William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton – with Jon Pertwee’s then-current Doctor. The Three Doctors kicks off an explosive, colourful series of adventures across all of time and space as the Doctor and Jo Grant (Katy Manning) encounter the rogue Time Lord Omega, the terrifying Drashigs, the noble Draconians, fearsome Ogrons, deadly Daleks and slithering giant maggots. Season 10 also includes the final appearance of Roger Delgado as the Doctor’s arch nemesis The Master, plus adventures alongside Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart (Nicholas Courtney) and UNIT.

Starring alongside Jon Pertwee are Katy Manning, Nicholas Courtney, Roger Delgado, Richard Franklin and John Levene.

With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features which include:

• A brand new feature-length documentary examining the Third Doctor’s Era, with archival contributions from Jon Pertwee, Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks plus all-new interviews with Katy Manning, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, presented by Matthew Sweet.
  • Updated special effects and surround sound mix for Planet of the Daleks.
  • Five new instalments of Behind the Sofa, featuring Katy Manning, Richard Franklin (Captain Yates) and John Levene (Sergeant Benton), along with 21st century Doctor Who panel Phil Collinson (Producer/Executive Producer), Pete McTighe (Writer) and Joy Wilkinson (Writer).
  • Looking for Lennie, a documentary investigating the life of director Lennie Mayne.
  • Keeping up with the Jones’, which sees Katy Manning with Stewart Bevan (Cliff Jones) pay a return visit to the Welsh locations from The Green Death.
  • Plus: a repeat omnibus of The Green Death unseen since Christmas 1973, rare Panopticon convention footage, Blu-ray trailer, HD photo galleries plus scripts, production files and rare documentation provided as PDFs.
  • The six-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD including two episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures that saw Katy Manning’s Jo Jones meet the Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith).

A specially shot announcement trailer – and sequel to classic adventure The Green Death – has debuted on the Doctor Who YouTube channel; written by new series contributor Pete McTighe (Kerblam!) and starring original Doctor Who companion, Katy Manning.

DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION – SEASON 10 includes the following stories from 1972/73:

• The Three Doctors
  • Carnival of Monsters
  • Frontier in Space
  • Planet of the Daleks
  • The Green Death

RRP: £56.16 and available from www.zoom.co.uk , www.amazon.co.uk and www.zavvi.com

Categorised under: Blu-ray, DVD, Featured

• Gordon

June 15th, 2019 - 5:01pm

I heard from those at the bfi that the next box set will be announced Tuesday. So we will hear about season 23 then

June 15th, 2019 - 5:20pm

How come they’re announcing the next box set before season 10 is released? Are the releases accelerating or are we not getting season 26 this year?

June 15th, 2019 - 5:34pm

i thought there were showing a trailer?

• Gordon

June 15th, 2019 - 6:50pm

From what I got told they showed a season 10 trailer sizzle reel similar to the ones that was released about week before release of 12,19 and 18. I imagine we will get a similar sort of teaser trailer as the javanka airlines etc for the next set on Tuesday when it’s revealed. If hmv is correct that season 23 is out 16th September it would get 3 months of promotion which is about the same length of time that other sets get so it makes sense to announce it now

• Anon

June 11th, 2019 - 11:55pm

Wheres the best place to order this from?

June 12th, 2019 - 12:12am

I think Zoom

June 12th, 2019 - 3:18am

Zoom

• Keiren Kavanagh

June 10th, 2019 - 4:57pm

Do we think this will be delayed it’s under four weeks to go and at the weekend is the BFI

I hope it’s not I think it won’t due to the bbc being a steam engine with classic doctor who at the moment

• Rob W

June 14th, 2019 - 10:28am

SFX have a review in issue 315, release date says 8th July so fingers crossed.

• Gordon

June 5th, 2019 - 5:46pm

According to the coming soon board instore in HMV season 23 is due 16th september

• Type 40

June 5th, 2019 - 6:22pm

Great news, if that’s the case – especially if they treat the Vervoid section to some nice, new CGI.

• TigerMan1995

June 6th, 2019 - 4:51pm

if that’s the case for Season 23 in the UK, the US will not have gotten Season 10 yet because of the stupid 3 month delay for it.

• Andrew R

June 7th, 2019 - 2:55am

I’ve tried emailing BBC DVD twice to see if the 3 month delay is really happening, but have not received a response. I’m hoping that given this new news about a September UK release of Season 23 that maybe season 10 will be moved up in the US and Canada.

• TigerMan1995

June 7th, 2019 - 7:10pm

Well that’s a shame you haven’t received a response. Hopefully they do move it up. The Season 10 Blu-ray isn’t even on the BBC Shop.

• Rob W

June 13th, 2019 - 7:35pm

Talking of responses, anyone received their replacement Season 18 discs, timeframe for replacement of six weeks was about a week ago?

• Lee

June 14th, 2019 - 10:59am

6 weeks is usually only a rough estimate. Haven’t heard about anyone receiving replacements yet. I didn’t even get an automated reply this time, which I have in the past, so just hoping my request got logged. I’ll wait until the end of June and email them again if I haven’t received anything.

• The Moffat Paradox

June 1st, 2019 - 9:21pm

I’ve often wondered about the hiatus since the 2010 release of the digitally remastered “Day Of The Daleks” why they didn’t then proceed to “Planet Of The Daleks” .

That alone should have happened what now seems like eons ago but I guess it will have benefited from the advances in GGI/Digital/Video/Sound editing since 2010 as well as being in HD on Blu-Ray.

Any trailers on YouTube should be very interesting and potentially enticing.(If their not already as this has been a bit under my radar.)

• prof Horner

June 2nd, 2019 - 11:29am

Still hoping they release season 12 again in the mean time. I know it was supposed to be a limited addition . Didn’t have a Blu Ray player till Christmas , so missed out.

• Andrew

May 30th, 2019 - 1:44pm

Has there been any news if we can expect another box before the season 26 rumoured for the end of the year.
    Thanks

• James

May 30th, 2019 - 6:39pm

Nothing confirmed as yet. But it’s heavily rumoured there will be another as they have been working on one every 3/4 months. If there is no set from July til December that is a 5 months gap, and as they are working on documenaries and special features for so many upcoming boxsets at present, I dount there will be that long a space in between.
      Personally, I think we’ll get a Colin Baker season in between (probably 22) as that will mean we have a boxset of all Doctors3-7 available by the end of the year, however some people think we are getting Season 17.
      But I do think it is 100% that we will have one more before Season 26, but nothing will be confirmed until probably late July/early August after Season 10 is released.

• David

June 1st, 2019 - 5:13pm

I’d say the same as James, whilst nothing has been confirmed the hints we have been given through Twitter and such have suggested another set before Christmas time. In terms of content I think we can expect more studio footage like season 19 gave us, but for the likes of the 6th/7th doctors as I read somewhere that a large amount of tapes from the studio sessions still exist from the 80s, some that weren’t even released on dvd. Also Colin baker tweeted about a new project he couldn’t speak about. Yes this could be a release for next year, but if all adds up then it could very well be the next set after S10.

• DanWFA

June 1st, 2019 - 11:51pm

It’s going to be Season 23. Colin Baker confirmed at a convention he had recorded some behind the sofa’s for Trial of a Timelord

• James

June 2nd, 2019 - 10:34am

Season 23 suits me fine as Colin is my favourite Classic Doctor and while I know, most don’t like his era, I love Season 23. Drathro, Sil, Thoros Beta, Ravalox, the Matrix, Vervoids, Hyperion, Black Hole, Valeyard, Time Lords… On Bluray, Yes please!

Colin throwing insults at the knacker’s yard always makes me chuckle

• MIKSK89

June 8th, 2019 - 10:49am

I would love for Season 23 to somehow include an animated version of Big Finish’s ‘The Sixth Doctor: The Last Adventure’ or even snippets so that fans coukd get a taste of a proper swan song for Colin’s Doctor (Who i have gained a huge appreciation for as i have got older). But happy this seasons coming as i loved Trial of a Time Lord and would be nice to watch in HD.

• Richard

May 22nd, 2019 - 8:09pm

Will hmv be stocking this set?

• Dave

May 23rd, 2019 - 12:28am

I’d be surprised if they don’t, Richard. The HMV near me had two copies of Season 18 and one of Season 19 when I visited this morning.

• Richard

May 23rd, 2019 - 12:42pm

I have just been into my local store and pre-ordered my set.

• Iain

May 7th, 2019 - 9:59pm

I’ve been collecting these (wonderful) blu-rays since the beginning, but have only now got round to gaining access to a blu-ray player. Upon playback on the machine, I’m getting all the fabulous disc menu page announcements by Tom Baker and BBC ident at the start, but when I try playing a feature, the audio doesn’t play. Occasionally, I can pause and play it again to get sound, but then the programme plays at a higher speed. I’ve tried this on various discs from both Season 12 and 18, but the same thing each time. The player is a Panasonic DMP-BD35 via an HDMI. Has anyone else come across this problem?

• TigerMan1995

May 6th, 2019 - 10:45pm

Anyone heard anything of the US/Canada release date being brought up to 30 Jul 2019 or 6 Aug 2019?

• anonimus

May 5th, 2019 - 6:14pm

The episodes stored in 35mm are telerecorders or can they be presented in trueHD?

• Rob W

May 5th, 2019 - 6:46pm

The 16mm location film segments no longer exist, hence ‘all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources’.

• anonimus

May 5th, 2019 - 7:31pm

I mean the episodes like “The Space Pirates Episode 2”

• Rob W

May 5th, 2019 - 8:03pm

Yes, episodes like The Space Pirates are I believe 16 mm broadcast quality film recordings, so should be able to presented in HD.

• TigerMan1995

May 5th, 2019 - 9:17pm

There are shot on 35mm film the entirety of the episode.

• Rob W

May 6th, 2019 - 9:18am

Here’s a link to the Doctor Who Restoration Team website for anyone interested:-

• Ben H

May 1st, 2019 - 1:19pm

Looks like the latest Doctor Who Magazine has the drop on the corrected cover art:

• Prowl

May 2nd, 2019 - 4:58am

I think it looks a lot better. Hurry up, July!

May 5th, 2019 - 11:25pm

Can’t see a difference.

• Ben H

May 6th, 2019 - 10:15am

His face was flipped in the original images that are still on this site and on online store product pages, so he looks kind of odd. The image has been corrected for the final product by Lee Binding.

In the DWM preview, you can see his face has been flipped back the right way round. Look at the shadows on his face and eyebrows and it’ll be clearer.

May 6th, 2019 - 1:02pm