July 15th, 2019 270 comments

Doctor Who The Collection Season 23 Blu-ray

Available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Also available to order in the UK from www.zoom.co.uk and www.zavvi.com

Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

BBC Studios announces Season 23 as the next installment in the DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION Blu-ray range

BBC Studios continues to offer Doctor Who fans the opportunity to build their own home archive on Blu-ray. The first jam-packed release for Colin Baker’s Sixth Doctor, Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 23, debuts on Monday 23rd September.

In 1985, Doctor Who was taken off the air for an 18 month hiatus. When it returned, it was with an ambitious fourteen-episode adventure, The Trial of a Time Lord. The epic story saw the Doctor on trial for his life, with the court examining his adventures with companion Peri (Nicola Bryant) and looking to his future escapades with new companion Melanie (Bonnie Langford).

This season saw the return of popular villain Sil, along with the Master, the towering robot Drathro and the plant-based Vervoid monsters. With the Inquisitor (Lynda Bellingham) overseeing the proceedings, it was the Valeyard (Michael Jayston) who proved the greatest threat, hiding his own sinister motives for wanting the Doctor’s downfall.

With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features which include:

• Extended edits – of all fourteen episodes
  • Terror of the Vervoids – four-part standalone edition with updated Fx
  • Immersive 5.1 surround sound & isolated scores – on all 14 broadcast episodes
  • Behind the Sofa – new episodes with Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant, Bonnie Langford, Mark Strickson, Frazer Hines and Matthew Waterhouse
  • The Writers’ Room – Eric Saward, Philip Martin, Christopher H Bidmead & Waly K Daly discuss the ‘Lost’ Season 23
  • The Doctor Who Cookbook Revisited – brave cast members tackle their original recipes from the 1980s official cookbook
  • The Doctor’s Table – join Colin Baker and friends for dinner
  • In Conversation – Matthew Sweet chats to companion Bonnie Langford
  • Unseen studio footage
  • Rare archive treats
  • Convention footage
  • Blu-ray trailer
  • HD photo galleries
  • Scripts, costume designs & more in the PDF Archive

The six-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.

DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION – SEASON 23 stars Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant and Bonnie Langford with Michael Jayston and Lynda Bellingham. Guest appearances include Anthony Ainley, Nalbil Shaban, Joan Sims, Christopher Ryan, Michael Craig, Honor Blackman, Tony Selby and Geoffrey Hughes.

Categorised under: Blu-ray, DVD

• Doctor Who Merchandise Collector

July 18th, 2019 - 12:01pm

Absolutely adore these sets so far! Hopefully another run of season 12 will come in time but the seasons lined up in a row look great on the shelf! If they were to do a TV Movie and Wilderness Years set I have been thinking about all the wonderful content that it could contain. Of course with copyright and licensing not everything in this list would be possible for inclusion however it is everything I have been able to source of who media produced from 1900 to 2004. Can anyone else think of anything that would go great in the set that I may have missed?

Main Feature:

Tv’s Finest Failures – k9 and company
    Michael Grade on Room 101 2002
    Colin Baker on Top Gear 2003
    Alchemists of Sound – Radiophonic workshop documentary
    The Story of Doctor Who 2003
    Doctor Who Mastermind 2004

And extras from original release of tv movie and scream of shalka and More than 30 years in the TARDIS

• The ergon

July 18th, 2019 - 12:16pm

Thats an impressive list of stuff. Can,t bear to watch the Room 101 episode. I couldn,t believe how easily Paul Merton allowed it to go in, but having found out he hates Doctor who comes as little surprise now. One things for sure, it wouldn,t have happened on Frank Skinners watch, had he been fronting the programme then.

• Doctor Who Merchandise Collector

July 18th, 2019 - 12:31pm

Thanks The ergon. Sourced from several blogs, one of babelcolour’s videos, the BBC site and a selection of content I have watched several times over out of fascination for the wilderness years regarding what was and what could have been. Yes that 101 episode is best left behind haha! It’s great that Grade was able to admit he liked the new series when it returned though!

• The ergon

July 18th, 2019 - 12:44pm

I have to say i haven,t even seen half of those on your list but will refer to this and check some of them out now.

• Kenny

July 18th, 2019 - 4:14pm

I had put together a rough list of what I thought would make a great Wilderness boxset, which is:

Disc One (30th Anniversary Stuff)
      More than 30 Years in the TARDIS
      Dimensions in Time
      DVD Special Features
      Disc Two (Doctor who night on BBC2 cause why not)
      Doctor Who Night
      Disc Three (TV movie disc 1)
      TV Movie (re-scanned)
      Night of the Doctor
      DVD Special Features
      Disc Four (TV Movie Disc 2)
      TV Movie (alternate cut, again why not!)
      Curse of the Fatal Death
      New Documentaries/McGann Interview
      Disc Five (Webcasts)
      Real Time
      Death Come to Time
      Shada Webcast
      Interweb of Fear
      Disc Six (Shalka)
      Scream of the Shalka
      DVD Special Features

Like you said, who knows what can be cleared. It is very possible Dimensions in Time will never get negotiated on. But I think a set that shows what was going on with the show when it was off the air for 15 odd years would really round out the blu-ray shelves. Plus Imd love a rescanned TV movie, as unlikely as it may be!

• Doctor Who Merchandise Collector

July 18th, 2019 - 4:54pm

Thanks for sharing that Kenny! Love the idea of having an alternate cut of the TV movie. I saw on YouTube at one point an alternate opening that was taken from a rough cut copy of the film. The full rough cut is nowhere to be found online from what I have seen so far but It would be great to see the process of making the film. After all there were many changes from the first cut. Hopefully one day it will surface!

• Kenny

July 18th, 2019 - 6:51pm

Yea the alternate cut of the TV movie is a definite wish list thing. Something Imd be interested in, as I wonder if some of the issues the movie has could be fixed in editing. Probably not (chances are an alternate cut could end up being a clunkier version of a already clunky movie), but why not give it a go!

I think what I’d really like is the set having each disc explore an element of the wilderness. The first real activity was the More than 30 Years doc and Dimensions in Time. So you build a disc around that, and maybe a new doc about the Dark Dimension project that fell apart.

Then obviously the next big event was the TV movie, which I think was a big enough sea change for the show that it warrants two discs (plus McGann obviously gets the cover of the set)

Then you grab anything from that era like the Doctor Who Night or Curse of the Fatal Death. Just a lot of that weird stuff that came out when the show was off of TV but not forgotten, and there is a whole disc of goodies.

Then you end the set with the webcast era, and those original 3 can obviously take up their own disc (as they were designed to not be too much video space), and then Shalka closes out the set.

Who knows if this will happen or if it would ever be as comprehensive, but I would love to see it. If they could somehow get into Universal’s vaults and get the TV movie’s original elements and rescan them? Definitely a must buy for that alone.

• Doctor Who Merchandise Collector

July 18th, 2019 - 7:18pm

That sounds like the best idea for the disc structures. It only seems fair McGann get to appear on a cover especially as the design would look stunning if they go anything by the Blu Ray release of the movie for the montage. I always hope that in some archives of the production companies are various cuts of who stories and hope that The BBC/ Universal/ Fox still have the pre air screeners tucked away somewhere. I did think a PDF of The Dark Dimension could be nice for production documents as it has been put online before but unfortunately not in an official capacity. Although saying that, have you seen the fan made animation of The Dark Dimension on YouTube? Not a bad attempt, really enjoyable and great to see an unmade story in some form.

• Kenny

July 19th, 2019 - 2:24am

I saw part of the Dark Dimension animation, but I am hard to please with fan productions. I struggle with amateur acting, and voice acting. I also have worked i TV as an editor and so I think I am more critical than others may be. At the very least it hurts my ability to enjoy such things.

• Tegan’s distant cousin

July 18th, 2019 - 11:53am

Does anybody know of a reliable retailer to ship these box sets to Australia? Unfortunately the Australian editions now come out with inferior packaging, and are released several months later. Amazon UK and Zoom won’t ship to Australia, and Zavvi are terrible. I just received the season 10 box set from Zavvi and it was so badly packaged that the box had been all beaten up in transit. I had the same problem when I ordered season 19 from Zavvi; while I got a refund eventually, it took over a month of chasing them up and them making it really difficult for me to return it and request the refund.

July 18th, 2019 - 12:02pm

think http://www.hive.co.uk do but there prices are high

• Tegan’s distant cousin

July 18th, 2019 - 12:07pm

Fantastic – thank you! The postage is higher, but if it means not getting items that are all beaten out of shape then it’s worth it!

• MJ9

July 11th, 2019 - 5:03pm

What has everyone done with their DVDs of the seasons released so far? I was tempted to keep hold of them but I feel like I’m doing it for the sake of it. Do they sell well on eBay?

• I Cotterill

July 11th, 2019 - 9:00pm

Due to the way the blu-rays are swapping some of the original dvd special features about between sets, I think it’s worth keeping hold of the original DVDs for this features that are absent.

• dazzleshell

July 11th, 2019 - 11:23pm

I just trade mine in at CEX at the moment. Try to sell before they officially announce next set to maximise the return and use that money off future sets. So Season 26 was sold a while ago.
      And rumours on here help.

I keep the old booklets as CEX don’t care about them. I trim them so they fit into Season box nicely.

All dvd features will eventually appear in the Season sets (except the Jim’ll Fix It feature with Colin Baker for obvious reasons).

• Duncan Parsons

July 12th, 2019 - 8:17am

I sold mine in cex aswell. Might not get as much as selling elsewhere but as Ebay has been flooded with dvd versions of the blu-ray releases you can guarantee a sale. As long as you’ve looked after them.

• MIKSK89

July 13th, 2019 - 11:19am

Someone mentioned with the ‘Jim’ll Fix It’ short with Colin and the Sontarans on The DVD release of The Two Doctors, was hoping that there would be a way to save it and just cut anything with Jimmy Saville out. Easy to Edit out the introduction from that vile man, and his appearance at the end, it is still an enjoyable litttle minisode of Who.

• dazzleshell

July 13th, 2019 - 1:39pm

MIKSK89. I think the BBC removed it completely on newer issues of The Two Doctors DVD.

Will be happy if they can do what you say though. Just show the short and remove the vile man from it.

• Geordie

July 14th, 2019 - 9:26am

I’m donating mine to my local library (though to be fair I also WORK at my local library…)

July 14th, 2019 - 10:13am

Not selling mine at all!
      I spent ages getting them all and it’d be a waste

• Kenny

July 10th, 2019 - 2:58am

So I know that Season 26 is still in the rumor mill for upcoming releases, and that possibly both 14 and 17 are in the works. What are all the rumors of what is being worked on right now?

July 10th, 2019 - 5:09pm

The rumours I have heard are that next year, we will be getting Season 14, Season 20, Season 11 and Season 6.

• Andrew R

July 10th, 2019 - 5:46pm

I hope you’re right, Anonymous. In my opinion, they’re pretty strong seasons for the most part. It would be especially nice since the War Games and the Invasion are so high priced in the US. I guess that would also mean that they would need to animate Space Pirates before then.

July 10th, 2019 - 6:03pm

They could do the Space Pirates after the faceless ones and release it in 2021, but release it first on the collection set for season 6 which could come out around late 2020, perhaps December before it’s separate standard release in early 2021

• The Flying Shark

July 10th, 2019 - 7:02pm

They’re almost meant to have done a shoot in Aldbourne for a Season 8 release, but I doubt this will be soon as Mind of Evil is still meant to be quite poor colour wise.

July 10th, 2019 - 7:08pm

Source??

• Kenny

July 11th, 2019 - 2:12am

14, 20, 11, and 6? Interesting. What happened to 26? I don’t know where the rumors originate, so I am curious how folks around here get their info.

• TigerMan1995

July 11th, 2019 - 5:33am

They’re talking about the 2020 releases. S26 is rumoured for Christmas 2019.

• Robert Sienicki

July 11th, 2019 - 9:34am

Season 6? Interesting. They would have to animate probably all six episodes of “The Space Pirates” like they are doing with “The Faceless Ones”, but I feel like there wasn’t enough time to do those two stories. Season 20 (for “Five Doctors) and Season 17 (for “City of Death”) would be my picks, but let’s be honest – I will order each and every one of those sets, no matter which season they do next.

• dazzleshell

July 11th, 2019 - 1:38pm

They might not animate the Space Pirates.
      Episode 2 exists but there are no telesnaps for the rest so would be difficult. Or they could go all out and allow the animators to interpretate it their own way.

I hope that they will at least include a disc for the story even if it just includes the soundtrack with linking narration to set the scene like some of the old vhs did. And some ‘new’ features to support it. So that the Season is complete.

• Gordon

July 11th, 2019 - 11:38pm

@the flying shark They haven’t done a season 8 shoot in auldborne. Producer Chris chapman was in auldborne on his own free time looking for inspiration for the big finish he was working on at the time. Auldborne is also an hour away from his house

• Kenny

July 12th, 2019 - 5:11am

Oh so 26 is still in the works for the end of this year (according to rumors). Neat. I would say if 6 is likely to be released next year they aren’t animating Space Pirates. Which is a shame. I suppose they could still have it in the works, but I find it unlikely (based on their animation rate so far) that they’d animate all the episodes in time for a 2020 release, not with Faceless Ones still in the works. Unless they release it animated first with the boxset, then solo. Again, I find it unlikely, which is unfortunate.

• James

July 12th, 2019 - 10:14am

Yeah I think we will get Season 6, but I don’t think Space Pirates will be animated. As long as there is a good reconstruction, I am fine with that.

July 13th, 2019 - 12:53pm

It’s amazing that people are still pushing this. Nobody has ruled out The Space Pirates, that is entirely fan speculation.

Marco Polo and The Crusade have however been ruled out, so Seasons 1 or 2 make vastly more sense if something from the 60s had to be done.

July 13th, 2019 - 1:00pm

On another note, given their “creative” take on The Macra Terror a lack of telesnaps is not going to be an obstacle.

• James

July 13th, 2019 - 5:31pm

While it hasn’t been ruled out there are 18 stories still missing some episodes. And at the current rate of 1 per year we would be waiting 18 years for all episodes to be animated. The bluray range is not going to wait for 10-18 years to release Seasons 1-6 so it is much more likely that some stories will not be animated for the bluray sets.
      It may be aninated and released individually later but we definitely won’t have animations for every missing ep on the season 1-6 boxsets

July 13th, 2019 - 5:56pm

I don’t expect every story to be animated by the time this range finishes. I just think it is a bit odd to release a season if there is a chance it may get an animation in the near future.

Of course it is entirely possible they have ruled out The Space Pirates internally and have not made that public in which case fair enough, let them carry on. If there’s still a chance, it seems a bit silly to not go for one of the two seasons that are ready to go (Seasons 1 and 2).

• Robert Sienicki

July 13th, 2019 - 6:55pm

Well, the ideal would be if they keep animation as one disc only, so you could replace the collection disc with animated once they release it.

• Gordon

July 14th, 2019 - 2:29am

I’d imagine space pirates is pretty low down on the list of potential animations. For starters It’s not a well regarded story. It also has no memorable monsters or companion entrances or exits. There is very little hook other than it completes season 6 and going by those involved it has to have a stand alone release first before it gets released in the collection. It’s definitely not a story I see getting done in the next 5-6 years ie the lifespan of the collection. Other stories I can see being more pressing. Especially from seasons 3-5. I can see the collection season 6 having a recon to fill in the gap but with the ability to swap it out for the animation if and when the time comes.

July 14th, 2019 - 7:53am

I hope they can just release a separate disc in a different release to it’s general release (if it ever gets one) in the style of a collection disc so that anyone who wants to swap out the disc, can do that

July 6th, 2019 - 9:09am

Does anybody know how many of these limited edition sets are printed for each run?
    They seem to sell out very quickly.
    In fact they have all sold out now (expect Season 23).
    Even Season 10 is showing as ‘out of stock’ now, and that hasn’t even reached it release date!

• Billy

July 9th, 2019 - 12:05am

I seen a post on twitter that said S12 was only 1000, but the rest were 10,000 prints. Don’t know if that is correct, Season 10 is back in stock now but 19 has started to inflate in price now, Season 18 goes in and out of stock!

• Prof Horner

July 4th, 2019 - 11:29am

Nice surprise when I came home from work last night at 10.30. my copy of the American version of the season 12, had arrived from Amazon. Looking forward to watching it and season 10 should be arriving on Monday.