• The Werewolf

July 11th, 2021 - 4:58pm

That’s unreal. I already thought your Kandyman was extremely impressive, but you have outdone yourself with this one.

July 11th, 2021 - 5:22pm

Thanks for the great comments Werewolf.

• TimelordTim

July 10th, 2021 - 10:11pm

Your Menoptera is amazing!! Those wings work perfectly and the paint job suits it very well. You must be ecstatic with the outcome. Great work!

July 11th, 2021 - 1:08pm

Thanks alot Tim, I think I’ll have a rest from making 8 inch figures in polymer clay for a while now. I’d like to customise a few old CO figures with Milliput clay. I’ve only used it once before for the Menoptera’s neck scarf and it’s not as easy to use as polymer clay but I should be able to get to grips with it.
      Rob White gave me the inspiration to have ago with his stunning pieces.
      I know you like your CO figures so I’ll post photos if they turn out okay.

July 10th, 2021 - 9:38pm

I,d love to see your Trin-E and Zusanna done now after seeing this. I can,t think of any more original superlatives. Rob White eat your heart out.

July 10th, 2021 - 11:23pm

Thanks ergon. Great praise indeed.
      Must admit I’ve been very happy with the results from when I first finished the Kandyman. Never done any clay work before so I think they all turned out better than I expected.
      I might do Trin-E and Suzanna one day, (I won’t say never).
      But next couple of years I think I’ll try and customise some old CO figures.
      Hope you post your photos soon ergon.
      And Finally, come on England!

July 10th, 2021 - 9:34pm

harrops would have a job on to do better if they were ever to do one. You must be dead chuffed.

July 11th, 2021 - 11:21am

PS, ergon. Forgot to mention, I can’t wait for the Ancient One to be added to my collection.
      Always had a soft spot for that story. This figure and a Destroyer (if they ever make one) would be highlight of my collection for me.

July 11th, 2021 - 3:34pm

Same here coleman. I mentioned the TrinE and Zusanna mainly because Harrops seem to be concentrating on the classic releases more now they have found their buying market and not so much on the new series stuff. Just two to consider if you plan to do any stuff from the new series 2005+. Me, i,d be happy with just the classics. There is plenty of gold to be mined there that still shouts exclusive. I,d still like them to do The visitation trio (terileptil Leader, Android and Android as Death or for you Doctor fans, 5th in his hat). Alternatively my joint 5th favourite story The caves of Androzani they could do Jek , One of the androids and The Magma creature. I hope they continue to release these story sets once a year from now on.

July 11th, 2021 - 5:35pm

The Trio of Terileptil Leader, Android and disguised Android would be my First choice of must haves from Harrops. I hoped it was going to be them when Dan mentioned they were making Three figurines from same story. But it seems they are going to be from season 8.
      I have to admit though the Ancient One and the Destroyer are my all time favourite designs from Classic Who.
      I admit Sylvester’s not the best Doctor and their not even the best stories their from but you have to admit their very cool looking aliens.

July 11th, 2021 - 6:04pm

Speaking of Trin-E and Suzanna, theirs one figure I’ve never mentioned before ergon from Nu Who that I’d love to have in my Harrops collection, which is Skovox Blitzer.
      If Harrops don’t make one I’m not sure id be able to tackle one myself, it looks way too tricky with the multiple spindly legs to make in clay.
      (But still one of my favourite designs from Nu Who).
      Loved it when CO made one for the 3.75 inch line, it was an instant purchase for me.
      Wish they’d make him for the 5 inch line.
      (Highly unlikely I know with only budget sets being made now).

July 12th, 2021 - 5:10pm

Its a real shame the 3:75 couldn,t continue. i too used to collect those but they didn,t sell so good and they discontinued with the line so i sold them on with a lot onf the classic sets which i regret a little now. They were a good size with those coloured footstands, and the likeness’ they captured well, particularly the clara in her kilt, twelfth variants, danny pink cyberman and as you mentioned The skovox Blitzer etc..
      I think you could do the Blitzer if you could replicate the leg parts x 4 and build upwards even starting on its weaponry fiirst. If anyone can do a cracking job with these Harrop a likes its you coleman.

July 10th, 2021 - 9:29pm

Your finished Menoptera is superb. In fact the best yet, you,ve even got the attention to detail just right with the wings. An amazing job. I wish i could say the same. Today should have been the final gluing for the Kandyman but i,ve been going through hell trying to get those ye swirls just right but to no avail. I even ordered black and white acrylic pens with ultra fine nib butmply weren,t fine enough. I used the spotter Black with white swirls, white with black swirls but it proved too much(being such a minute size is proving incredibly hard, the rest seemed a doddle in comparison.So eventually i ended up taking those eyes off and making multiples which i,m going to try and complete tuesday now. I was going to do tomorrow but there a little england game to go out and watch tomorrow and no doubt shall be in euphoric mood or drowning my sorrows . Either way i see an hangover coming on monday.

July 10th, 2021 - 9:32pm

Missing words were Eye swirls and simply.

July 10th, 2021 - 11:30pm

Sorry about not having any luck with the Acrylic pens ergon.
      I used them on the Menoptera’s face.
      They have a lovely finish like the acrylic paints do, but I was using them on an 8 inch figure.
      I wondered if they’d be fine enough for the 3.75 inch figures. Their so tiny and fiddly as you say.

• The ergon

July 4th, 2021 - 3:41pm

Coleman one question. When doing your kandyman eyes, did you paint them black with white swirls oor vice versa?. I did black with white swirls. Any metal deficiencies on arms, i,m covering with frosting. Just the wiring to sort out now. Will have to multipaint even that as its a colourful twist of wires and the card elastic i,m going to glue on is sprayed gold. Was gonna post 2 today but need a certain cutter to finish off but appear to have lost it,so had to reorder another piece which was annoying, it was just one little feature aswell most of the paintwork for that is done. Thank god for black paint is all i,.m saying.

• The ergon

July 4th, 2021 - 3:44pm

Ps-as much as i love humbrol in the tin and plastic jar. I get more choice and vibrancy of colour with folkart acrylics. My preference in fact.

July 4th, 2021 - 5:51pm

Hello Ergon, I don’t think it will be long now before both you and Doug Who post photos on collections, I’m looking forward to them both. I noticed Doug posted a comment on “ask a question” recently about posting photos.
      I painted Kandymans eyes white first then used a black acrylic pen for the swirls. Originally tried a black Biro, (you can see in some of the first photos). Didn’t think it looked very good so I tried the Acrylic pen instead. You wouldn’t believe how many times i painted over the eyes with white paint and had to try again.
      As you’ve probably found out the Kandymans a very difficult project both in sculpting and painting.
      Even now ergon I’m tempted to sculpt some icing on my Kandyman in clay then paint white. I think it will just finish it off. Was just going to paint the white icing on but I think sculpting it would look alot better.
      PS, don’t know if you’ve used them before but the acrylic pens are great they contain actual paint instead of ink and they give you alot more control than a fine brush would. Especially using an ultra fine nib.

July 4th, 2021 - 8:23pm

i,ve seen them but i thought they might leave a felt tip look so decided against. Its so difficult going small because not only do you have to get scale in line with other figurines, theres getting the arms and legs to the right proportion, the bit part baking and finally the painting (actually I find the painting relaxing as long as my nerves don,t kick in after the morning coffee. Also getting them to look as good as the real thing or at least something like and i only have like 6 hours each weekend. I should have finished by next week, not sure the wiring will but i,ll leave pictures of items i will use. i wasn,t going to show till i had at least 5 or 6 but anything to speed things up. This might give a clue to what i have planned next. They wont require arms and legs (well not many anyway) and not a great deal of painting involved. Theres a few from Jons and toms and a few from colins. I,ll leave you and Doug to try and guess what?

July 4th, 2021 - 10:00pm

I’ve only ever bought a black acrylic pen so far but the finish looks just like you’ve used a brush. It has a lovely finish that stays wet for about ten minutes before you start to see it dry just like the acrylic paint. Only used it a few times like on the Kandymans eyes and hands but been very happy with the results. Was planning on using it on the Menoptera’s face aswell as it’s great for tiny details. (8″ scale of course not sure about 3.75″ scale).

• Doug Who

July 2nd, 2021 - 11:11am

Coleman,

Your Menoptera is a triumph! Really fantastic and your solution to the wings is ingenious.

With regard to colour images, there are colour images of the Zarbi and Menoptera that were published in Australia. I’ll try to find a link for you but in actual fact they weren’t that colourful. The Zarbi were are dark brown with orange eyes, while the Menoptera seem to be a very pale yellow and black.

Here’s the link,

Hope it works for you. I found it easily enough by searching for colour Menoptera photos.

Can’t wait to see your model finished. I must look into repairing the wings on my Susan Moore Menoptera.

July 2nd, 2021 - 11:54am

Thanks for the comments Doug. I used a plastic called PETG for the wings. (It’s a very long name so they call it this for short). I should imagine this would be ok for your Susan Moore wings or some similar plastic. It’s bends quite easy and cuts with just scissors or a craft knife. Also paints easy with Acrylic paint and doesn’t rub off easy.
      Was going to use Translucent clay for the wings but changed my mind when I decided to articulate them.
      Thanks for for the link. I’ve been googling Dr Who Menoptera photos when I probably should have put “colour photos”. A few photos popped up with colour on them but they all looked colourised.
      Was their actually some colour photos taken then during production?

• Doug Who

July 2nd, 2021 - 1:12pm

Hi Coleman,

I think I’ll attempt resin for the wings of the Sue Moore one but a few practice attempts first I think! If I were ever to do a custom Menoptera I would definitely use your method, it works fantastically well.

The colour photos from ‘Web Planet’ on the link I sent were taken on set by an Australian (I think) journalist for a feature on Bill Strutton. They are genuine colour images. There are also colour photos around of a sixties Shawcraft float that featured the Zarbi, Venom Grubs, the Slyther and Mechonoids (which were a metallic light blue).

I remember many years ago at a convention, DWAS had recreated some costumes including a Menoptera, which was a bright yellow and black but the original is clearly much more muted!

• TimelordTim

June 29th, 2021 - 10:53am

The wings look brilliant, excellent way to attach them to have the option of open or closed. Will be fascinating to see how the model develops with painting. Are you going for colour or black & white?

June 29th, 2021 - 2:56pm

To be honest Tim (like all of us) I’ve only seen the Web Planet in black and white so I don’t really know what colour the Menoptera’s actually are. Searched the internet for photos, but only coloured photos I’ve found seem to be colourised. Probably will paint in just black and white as the few customs I’ve seen as been monochrome like Rob Whites on Flickr and ive really liked them.
      Ive already painted the black markings on the wings. Just waiting for some more white FIMO clay off Ebay to make the base from before I can paint the rest of the figure.

• TimelordTim

June 29th, 2021 - 3:34pm

Sounds like a good choice. I’m sure it’d look great either way, but something more genuine and artistic about the black and white look. I’ll look forward to seeing the updates as it progresses.

June 29th, 2021 - 4:14pm

I think the next time I update photos Tim it will hopefully be finished. (Shouldn’t be long now).
      By the way I like your Menoptera in black and yellow with the coloured wings. I’ve seen a couple of customs done in colour.
      It’s a very hard choice really.

• TimelordTim

June 29th, 2021 - 9:56pm

I went for colour purely because I knew I’d be putting it on a base with coloured scenery, I’m glad it came out well. But I am tempted by doing a black & white model or two as well though. Maybe one day.

• The ergon

June 25th, 2021 - 10:04pm

P.s-the petg sheets might be too straight and rigid for my use even when cut. What,may i ask did you use for the antennae? Also do you have the email adress to set up a collections page to show my items when i,ve completed. Thanks and best of luck.

June 26th, 2021 - 12:43pm

Hello Ergon, Booboo sent me this email m3rmw@aol.com. (all lower case). So just send your photos to this email.
      For the antennae I just had abit of fine wire knocking about the house so just cut this to size and made little balls of polymer clay to put on the ends.
      Been using old wire coat hangers for the figures armature but these were much too thick for the antennae.
      Should imagine Ebay or D.I.Y shops like B&Q will have all grades of wire if you need any ergon?

June 26th, 2021 - 10:44pm

when i attempted my harrop a like Kandyman i did use thick soft wire. I find using wire on these projects you could use sparingly and just do a basic frame for body and head and use a small amount of wire protruding from shoulder/upper arm/armpit and a little beneath the belly to attach arms and legs and perhaps a little in the feet to attach bottom of legs. Thats how how i prefer to do it before a bake to stop arms and legs falling off. I have problems trying to accurately get feet legs and arms in proportion and correct scale which i,ve mentioned before and this has helped me.
      thanks for the email. I ,ve been painting today. Once done i,ll put 2 of my projects up for you to see. You may have to wait a bit longer until i,m happy with paint results for the Kandyman and others.
      I,ll do all this and then they,ll announce the eaglemoss releases (well fans want them as well and we do these on our own back after all). Less chance with Harrops as the releases are slower but i like to prove to myself i can have a go.

• Coleman.

June 27th, 2021 - 11:58am

Looking forward to seeing them ergon, as I mentioned before they don’t have to be perfect but it’s nice to see what other fans are up to. Whatever the finished products like you can always tell alot of time, effort and loves gone into making them.
      I hope Doug Who posts his photos on here soon, he mentioned awhile back that he’d taken quite a few photos.
      The beauty of this site is once you’ve got a collection on here you can keep adding photos whenever you like.
      Keep checking back, I sent Booboo two more photos, one with wings extended and the other wings closed. They’ll be posted soon.

• The ergon

June 25th, 2021 - 6:38pm

Lovely work coleman. Is that martin jarvis without his wings or are you about to surprise us further. Either way itll look triumphant when painted. You said you,d do it and you haven,t disappointed. Painting one of my miniatures tomorrow. I,ll see how it looks before i decide to whether or not to mould

• The ergon

June 25th, 2021 - 6:55pm

The fishperson headpiece and tutu/seweed pieces i will have to mould and hope they come out fairly transparent but there isnt much to paint. The mouth has proved a little tricky. I use fimo effect for the tiny sequins and doing those individually has been quite arduous but i,m getting there. I,m the barry letts of custom figurines. A slow perfectionist.

June 25th, 2021 - 7:14pm

Thanks ergon, all the comments are much appreciated. I’ve just cut the four wings out of PETG plastic that I mentioned before and attached to figure with a small screw. You won’t see the screw on the finished figure as I plan on making the scarf piece the Menoptera wear out of Milliput to cover it up. Making the wings this way will allow me to pose them open or closed. Just sent Booboo a winged version photo so he will post it soon.
      Yes, as you say some of the jobs are very arduous I had similar problems with both the Menoptera’s fur and Kandymans head beads.

• The ergon

June 25th, 2021 - 9:58pm

The fur detailing i dont think harrops could do better. The screw is a good idea if you want more articulation and i,m glad you are finding use and have better success with the milliput for those 5 inch scale figurines than i had with the eaglemoss ones. Just keep your rob white inspired choices private and just spring them on us. Your quite the artist sir.keep it up.

• TimelordTim

June 25th, 2021 - 12:47pm

The Menoptera sculpt looks great Coleman. I’m sure it’ll be brilliant when painted as well, hope the wings work well for you!

June 25th, 2021 - 6:20pm

Thanks alot TimelordTim. Funnily enough I’ve literally just finished cutting them out of PETG plastic and attached them. Sent Booboo a photo so he will be posting them soon.

• The ergon

June 13th, 2021 - 3:05pm

Are you on with any customs at the moment coleman or leaving it. You mentioned previously you might plan a menoptera/trin-e and zusanna but i understand if you cant get the materials. Especially for the menoptera wings etc . At least you completed the kandtman. I,m still on with mine but i might have to concede to certain aspects just to get the bugger done. I did the fishperson but ended up looking like one of the clowns from greatest show show so i put that aside on how not to do one. I endeavor and i am on with another which i hope will paint better. My season 15 is being baked again as i text and its getting moulded in resin as i like the detail. Wish me luck with the kraag which shouldb,t be as much trouble once ive built up the body and done the weapon.

June 13th, 2021 - 8:34pm

Yes, good luck with all your endeavours ergon. They don’t have to be perfect, its still nice to see what other fans are up to. I’ve started the Menoptera as promised and will post photos eventually. Started with a wire coat hanger as usual for the 8 inch frame. Then bulked up with tinfoil and started covering with polymer clay. Don’t know if you remember an art program from the seventies but it looks just like Morph at the moment. So quite along way off yet. Really slowed down with sculpting since I finished the Auton off.
      Bought some small plastic panels off eBay about 2mm thick recently to make the wings from.
      Only reason I’ve decided not to do clay wings is because I’ve decided to articulate them.
      Rob Whites Menoptera gave me the idea. Probably have a small screw on his back to hold the four wings in place, which you can display down or extended.
      Probably won’t do Zu_zanna now, as I’m itching to get started on customising some old CO 5inch figures with Milliput or Green Stuff like Rob White does.

June 13th, 2021 - 8:50pm

Just had to check my account, couldn’t remember what the plastic was called. Its 0.5mm Clear PETG off Ebay. (If you want to look it up) it’s got all soughts of uses like making Covid Facemasks, but can be used for model Car, buses or Dollshouse windows etc and many other craft uses the blurb explains.

June 13th, 2021 - 10:29pm

I,ll look it up. If it helps to towards a clear version of the tutu style for the fishperson as well as the gills i might try that. I was going to try using polythene sheets as it didnt look authentic with polymer, and adding and gluing them after bake

April 10th, 2021 - 5:51pm

coleman. Just started work on my Eaglemoss style Fish person. Well i say work, i,ve done the head and i,m quite impressed how its come out for a first attempt and my confidence is building the more i do.I dont want to jinx it, so i plan to do a first bake on the head and detail more when its cured such as adding those gills and fins which i pray turn out right. Its legs and arms that prove the most difficult when keeping the scale to a minimum and being the perfectionist i am will not reveal my pieces until i,m certain they look something like.
    Painting the damn things is a slow process for me as well as i try to get the colouring just right but i persevere, no matter how long it takes.
    P>S- I read the comments you made with Booboo with regards to the Bok figurine. I agree the figurine looks just as though it as come fresh from the mould and with no grey weathering. Just wondering if would you consider buying another from FP and painting one to try to get to the standard you would like?

April 11th, 2021 - 10:39am

Hello ergon, I’ll look forward to seeing your Fish Person and the other sculpts you’ve done.
      Would be a good idea to repaint the Eaglemoss Bok when he arrives to a more accurate Grey with abit of whethering. Havnt started my 8 inch Menoptera yet but I will be soon. ( Been abit busy lately).

April 11th, 2021 - 11:50am

Check out Rob whites character customs on Flickr. some of those classics and New Who stuff hes done are amazing. His Menoptera is one of the best i,ve seen. Could prove inspirational.

April 11th, 2021 - 1:02pm

Just seem them Ergon, all his Dr Who sculpts look excellent. Looks like he’s using Milliput. (never heard of it until recently). I’ve been on Facebook page for custom figurines recently trying to pick up a few tips and most of the CO customisers use this. It’s like air dry clay that dries in three to four hours solid so you can sand it etc and paint. They usually use a cheap CO figure for customising fodder then add milliput as required. The advantage with using an old CO sculpt instead of a wire frame is you still retain full articulation of your figure. I’ve been asking a few questions on their recently because one day I might try it myself. Just ordered some Milliput yesterday off eBay. A tube was only £3.75.
      (one good tip I had off their was don’t use Polymer clay on CO figures because the plastic figures melt when put in oven)

April 11th, 2021 - 6:54pm

The lad on the figurines facebook page who made and sold multiple Kandyman figurines used the wooden cyberman eaglemoss figurine as a cover. He used milliput putty and did an incredible job given the timeframe he had of a few hours before it hardened and did all the body, face and features. I tried it for the Eaglemoss style figurines and it ended up a right sticky mess so i abandoned the idea. It Would be ideal for customising a spare CO figure for augmentation IE: similar to creating a new
      mouth for a zygon etc..
      As far as Milliput putty in my case i,ll just use for touching up scratched or broken surfaces. I,m happy with my Polymer clay for now. Thanks all the same coleman.

April 12th, 2021 - 11:06am

Hello Ergon, yes I’d sooner use polymer clay its very versatile and you can work with it for ages until your happy with the sculpt. There’s no worry about it hardening too soon.
      Just meant if I decide to tackle customising some CO figures in future I’ll have to use Milliput or something similar because you can’t put the plastic base figure in an oven.

April 12th, 2021 - 11:46am

I know what you mean , not advisable. Robs work for the most part on his, are just sublime. The work thats gone into some of those customs is beyond words. The Krafayis, The Myrrka, Meoptera, sandman are real standouts. I just wish i had the skill to achieve something half as decent. If i were to do CO customs that is.

April 12th, 2021 - 11:53am

I’ll try some CO customs eventually and if their half as good as Robs I’ll be very happy, (of course I’ll post some photos). Will be awhile off though, I still intend doing the Menoptera in polymer clay first.

• Doug Who

March 5th, 2021 - 1:10pm

Hi there Coleman,

Hope you’re doing well!

The Daffodil Auton looks really great and looking forward to seeing you start the Menoptera. I’ll be interested to see how you tackle the wings because I need to make some replacement ones for my Sue Moore Menoptera model.

I’ve done a Daffodil Auton bust which is one of a few I did a while back with the intention of casting them but haven’t yet!

I’ve not had that much time to devote to model making recently, the odd hour here and there. Kandyman is progressing very slowly…however the Rutan is now finished and quite pleased with how it turned out. I based it as closely to the TV version as I could. Also completed my mini Giant Maggot diorama which is my favourite model so far. Three maggots including one hatching from an egg! I’m on the way to finishing a Brain of Morpho and Keller Machine. Oh and I did a quick Great Intelligence model based on the ‘Abominable Snowmen’ as I had some steel ball bearings hanging around. All these are in scale with Eaglemoss so it’s quite fiddly working so small.

Like Tim, I have quite a few Harlequin models and they are even more fiddly to paint. Eye strain is a constant threat! They are a great series as they did so many figures that I doubt even Eaglemoss will cover. I think my favourite is their Shrivenzale. They have some great detail for such tiny figures.

I’ve taken a few pictures of my models but haven’t looked into actually posting them here yet.

March 5th, 2021 - 3:10pm

Yes, please post your photos when you can Doug Who. Very much looking forward to seeing them. Should be good to see your stuff along with The ergon and TimelordTims photos.
      TimelordsTims looking towards posting photos around end of March, start of April, so shouldn’t be long if you keep a lookout Doug.
      Haven’t started doing the Menoptera yet, maybe in next couple of weeks. Just been having a little break. To be honest, been watching alot of the old black and white Dr Whos since i haven’t seen them for years.

• Doug Who

March 5th, 2021 - 4:32pm

Don’t blame you taking a break. It can end being as tiring as it is relaxing. I always enjoy the painting much more than the model making.

Managed to get a base for my Morpho figurine which arrived this morning so will be finishing assembling that over the weekend. The tiny brain creature was so ridiculously fiddly to sculpt! I think it will look quite good though…

Promise I’ll try to post some photos soon…

March 5th, 2021 - 5:12pm

Eventually will be getting some Premo sculpey polymer clay for the Menoptera wings though Doug. On tutorials this seems to be the most transparent when baked in oven, so should make really great wings.. Already got some Fimo polymer clay off Ebay for the rest of the body, which is very soft and easy to manipulate.
      It’s very similar to normal or air dry clay to work with. If you ever decided to use polymer clay for your figurines wings, it should be fairly easy for you to use because your used to working with air dry clay already.
      Just roll the clay thinly with a roller then cut to shape.
      The main advantage with polymer clay is once its baked in the oven then even thin pieces are strong and very flexible, Which should be ideal for the Menopteras wings.
      I only use the 56 gram packs of clay (about size of a mars bar). There about £2.90 each

• TimelordTim

February 24th, 2021 - 9:24pm

Brilliant job with the Auton and Kandyman, they look fantastic! Can’t wait to see what you work on next.

February 24th, 2021 - 9:43pm

Thanks TimelordTim.
      Was going to do an 8 inch version of zu-zanna next then a Menoptera.
      Might swap them round and do the Menoptera first.
      Just waiting for some more clay to arrive off Ebay.

• TimelordTim

February 25th, 2021 - 11:20am

Will be great to see a Menoptera. I’m sure you’ll do a brilliant job of it.

It’d make a great figure for CO but that’s unlikely. I’ve just bought the Harlequin model of it to paint myself and add to my display.

February 25th, 2021 - 12:16pm

Are you on collections TimelordTim? If so I’ll have alook.

• TimelordTim

February 25th, 2021 - 1:25pm

I’m not at the moment. I’ve been painting some Harlequin figures recently and have been customising 1/76th scale figures to have a Doctor Who scene on my model railway. I’ve also recently got a cabinet for my CO figures collection. I’m hoping to have it all together to ask Booboo for a collections page in late March or early April.

February 25th, 2021 - 2:48pm

Nice one TimelordTim, I’ll look forward to seeing them.
      Haven’t got any myself but I really like the Harlequin and warlord figures. I’m always checking them out on customising sites. Some of the paint jobs are amazing, considering how small they are. Been tempted to buy some of the pre painted Warlord figures off eBay.

• Doctor…Who?

February 22nd, 2021 - 11:21am

That Carnival Auton is looking great Coleman! Keep up the good work!

February 22nd, 2021 - 1:30pm

Thanks again Doctor…Who?, If you check back about Thursday, Friday I’ll be posting a few finished painted photos.
      Are you still making clay models when you’ve time?

February 22nd, 2021 - 1:36pm

My mistake Doctor…Who?
      Had you mixed up with Doug Who for a minute their.

• Doctor…Who?

February 22nd, 2021 - 2:20pm

No worries, they are rather similar names!

• Doug Who

January 31st, 2021 - 5:05pm

Hi Coleman,

Just wow!

Your Kandyman is an absolute triumph Coleman. Beautiful! It sits so well with the other Harrop figures. Really beautifully sculpted and painted. I was wondering like Ergon if you might attempt the wiring etc but it really doesn’t need it because it is outstanding as it is. If they were ever to do an official release, I can’t see it bettering this. So well done!

The Menoptera will be another real challenge. I recently bought a dilapidated Sue Moore Menoptera which needs new wings but I have never cast in resin so that may prove an obstacle. I’d be interested to know how you might go about it…

Like both you and Ergon, work has interfered with my own Kandyman project but I am doing it to Eaglemoss scale which is even more fiddly! The figurine collection is my favourite line of merchandise so it would be lovely to add those characters and monsters that are very unlikely to happen.

In addition to a couple of simple paint jobs, I’ve already done a Cyberman with bombs from ‘Revenge’, an Ogri (pretty easy as it is a stone!) and am on my way to a Rutan, which is surprisingly tricky considering its fairly simple design. I also decided to do a mini ‘Green Death’ tableau with eggs and maggots! After that a Keller Machine and a Brain of Morpho.

As you say, it is quite therapeutic making these, although also can be slightly annoying when it doesn’t quite work!

It would be really interesting to see all the different versions of characters when they’re eventually complete.

But once again well done on wonderful work!

January 31st, 2021 - 9:00pm

Thanks Doug Who for the very, very kind words.
      I hope you and Ergon post photos eventually, I know you mentioned it awhile back.
      It was you and Ergon having a conversation on here awhile back saying you sculpted and painted clay figures that got me interested in doing these figures in the first place.
      I’ll eventually add the dry white sugar effect to the Kandyman, but I’ve left the wiring off on purpose because I think it’ll spoil the aesthetics.
      It looks good on the full size prop but I’m not sure about a 8inch figure.
      I’m well on the way with making the Daffodil Auton in White clay. So hopefully I should be posting a photo of the full sculpt next weekend.

January 31st, 2021 - 9:26pm

By the way Doug Who I know what you mean about therapeutic but slightly annoying when things don’t turn out right.
      In regards to the Menoptera it’s awhile off yet,
      but I wasn’t going to use resin, I had been thinking of doing it in a translucent clay, rolling out very thinly. Been watching some great tutorials lately and translucent Premo sculpy seems best in clearness when baked and very pliable (can bend double even very thin pieces, without breaking ). I’ll do the rest of the body in white Fimo.

February 1st, 2021 - 8:48am

Premo sculpey is quite malleable but you really have to work at it to get the desired shape and is quite hard in texture before rolling but is perfect for getting the desired effect.
      I,m sure you will do an equally excellent job on the daffodil Auton, coleman although i think i may just hold out for that one. The ones i plan to do are the more obscure or as Doug says ‘releases that might not happen’ any time soon. A few people have done The Keller Machine and done good jobs on them. I,d like an Ogri but thats one i might just wait for as well but The Brains of morphoton. I,ve thought about those and could be a future project. Next up for Me after i,ve painted The Plasmaton are The Pool cleaner, Larvae gun louse, Fishperson and i may just attempt either a Navarino or Sandy from ‘The Rescue’.
      P.S-just for reference How do you post pictures to this collection page? I,ve just bought a new Android phone and i,m just getting used to all its modes and functions.

• Doug Who

February 1st, 2021 - 2:02pm

Hi Coleman and Ergon,

Good to hear from you both!

I haven’t used Primo or sculpey at all. I tend to just sculpt in modelling clay. Its probably not as durable as the ‘baked’ modelling material but its what I’m used to. My favourite part of the process is painting and I tend to use artists acrylics over a primer.

It’s interesting the aesthetic decisions you make when making these sculpts, such as the wiring on the Kandyman. It perhaps gives you a wee insight into how Neil and the others at Eaglemoss must think about these things – and what a fantastic job that must be!

I try to keep to what was seen on screen but with the Rutan, you actually see very little. For example you only see one tentacle but the implication is that there are more. I’ve tried to make it more dynamic with tentacles flailing at the back! Then there’s all the filaments you see in close ups when its talking to the Doctor!

I don’t know if we’ll see an Ogri in the official collection. From what Neil Corry has said about the Krynoid and Foamasi, they make judgements on what will make ‘good’ figures whereas personally I think they can make really interesting figurines from less successful monsters. Besides their Aggedor looked nothing like its screen appearance!

Not a figure, but I did make a daffodil Auton bust to go with the unofficial series made in the 90’s, which came out quite well.

Ergon, I thought about doing a Plasmaton so would be really interesting to see yours although a Fish Person would be really cool but a nightmare to sculpt – all those scales! A Navarino would be excellent too. I’ve sourced a few parts for the Keller Machine such as a miniature clear dome. I think the ultimate model I’d really like to make would be the large Krynoid…maybe one day!

Would love to share photos but I don’t know how to upload them here either. I’m not on social media although can see some of the places where others show their customs. Perhaps we should start a blog for these sorts of things!

February 1st, 2021 - 2:37pm

You are right about the Aggedor I gave mine away. Its one of the few instances where they didn,t get it right and until i decide to do my own i am more than happy with harrops version. i was watching the seeds of Doom last week and I would love to see a Krynoid in either part Plant/part Keeler, the full vegiform creature or a Mega plant the size of the chase Estate. Anyway good luck to you both. I,m sure you don,t need it and look forward to seeing more of your displays in those collections.

February 1st, 2021 - 2:47pm

Ergon.
      Just ask Booboo for his Email address, make sure you use your up-to-date Email address and he will send it to you. Then just post the photo in an email to him.
      I had to send each photo as a separate email. (Only way I could work it out).

February 1st, 2021 - 2:59pm

Ps, Doug Who, just follow the above advice I gave to Ergon for posting photos on this site.
      (I’m not on social media either).

• Doug Who

February 1st, 2021 - 3:17pm

I modified my Eaglemoss Aggedor by filing down the claws and adding a ‘hump’! I think that’s what decided me to try my hand at making my own.

There is a lovely Aggedor figure from the 1990’s HUD ‘Mini Terror’ series which turns up very occasionally but can go for silly prices now. It really captures the screen Aggedor and is in almost perfect scale with the Eaglemoss figurines.

You’ve inspired me Coleman so I think this weekend I’ll do a bit more to my Kandyman as it has stalled a bit. Will look into sending photos too!

Best wishes to you both!

February 1st, 2021 - 9:34pm

I don’t remember wether it was my Eaglemoss Aggedor or the Web Yeti (because it was awhile ago) but it came with the claws broken. Remember sending it back for a replacement and the replacement was also broke, so i gave it up as a bad job and kept it.

• Doctor…Who?

January 29th, 2021 - 2:19pm

In the words of Ron Weasley- ‘Bloody Hell!’
    Great Kandyman model and brilliant collection Coleman! Its with collections like these when I realise how much love this little teatime show has been given!

January 29th, 2021 - 4:22pm

Thanks for the kind words Doctor…Who?, Much appreciated.
      Was only going to make Kandyman as a one off in clay as a way of getting him in my collection. But found both sculpting and painting during these strange times very therapeutic.
      I’ve decided to sculpt a few more 8 inch Dr Who villains starting with the Daffodil carrying Auton. If he turns out ok I’ll be tempted to try my hand at Zu-zana and a Menoptera. I’m trying to give some of the lesser Dr Who characters some much needed love.
      (Anyway only time will tell).

January 21st, 2021 - 3:17pm

Did you use heavy body acrylic? I started with standard but the result was too translucent and had to do it slowly and daily, so changed and mixed different paints for texture and various colours than keep buying separate. Your version is very good though the problem with The Kandyman is that there is so much detail and there is all the wiring and the hardened sugar up the Arms etc., you tend to miss these little things. I have now found a decent substitute and i have inserted holes and plan to hot glue gun those in. I only get the Friday off so to do these customs and those 4-5 hours go nowhere. Well done coleman. As The Kandyman say ‘A Labour of love’ Now you can start work on The Menoptera.

January 21st, 2021 - 3:44pm

Thanks Ergon.
      It’s only a work in progress at the moment, should be finished around weekend then I’ll post more photos. Just used normal humbrol acrylics, took ages to paint as most colours needed two to three coats with two hours drying time inbetween. The yellow torso took seven coats. Like you said the acrylics don’t cover well at all.
      Much prefer my enamels but they react with polymer clay.

January 21st, 2021 - 5:34pm

Good luck with the wiring (if you plan add those) and the dreaded spinning, swirly eyes.

January 21st, 2021 - 5:45pm

P.s- Harrops have The Axon Creature up for this friday. I wasn,t expecting it to go up until next week, so thats something to look forward to and a quick despatch too as they have a third undisclosed piece being revealed shortly.

January 21st, 2021 - 6:02pm

Thanks for letting me know about the Axon monster Ergon.
      I didn’t know.

January 21st, 2021 - 6:07pm

I’ll go as far as adding the crusted sugar but I’ll miss out the wiring Ergon.

January 21st, 2021 - 6:09pm

Sorry it is the 26th. losing track of days, forgetting its friday tomorrow. Still, can,t wait to see what that next third piece will be.

January 21st, 2021 - 6:24pm

Speaking of the Menoptera you mentioned earlier. It would make a lovely piece in the 8inch scale. I’ve never used it but I know FIMO makes some translucent clay that turns even more clear when baked.
      (Would make great wings)?

January 21st, 2021 - 7:52pm

Might be worth attempting. if Harrops were to do this figurine, imagine the all different materials they would have to use which would really hike up the price and they would need extra large and protective packaging which could be quite precarious in transit even with all the polystyrene. Eaglemoss have downplayed a potential release due to the materials involved also. It would require a lot of patience thats for sure. I,m onto customising smaller eaglemoss style figurines and experimenting with resin. Once i complete the Kanyman paint job on both the harrop a like figurine, and its scaled down version and complete that infernal wiring, I,m going to start on a fishperson a plasmaton and a few smaller, easier pieces that eaglemoss might not do anytime soon. After The kandyman they will seem like a breeze.P.s- I use premo sculpey which is a pain to roll whereas Fimo is at least softer and probably better for doing small stuff like the auton troll doll etc…

January 21st, 2021 - 8:07pm

Apologies coleman. Got the Harrop Date wrong. The Axon Monster is 26th February, i thought the dates didn,t match up. Never Mind. If you get a moment Check out ‘The War Chief ‘Custom on the figurines facebook page. Hes done a cracking job. It actually looks someting like Edward Brayshaw.

January 22nd, 2021 - 4:49pm

It’s ok Ergon, what with the Blu-ray collection and the couple of steel books all coming out at similar times it’ll give me chance to save some money up for the Axon.

January 22nd, 2021 - 5:11pm

Just been on the custom figurine Facebook page. That Edward Brayshaw is very good, especially since its Eaglemoss scale.
      I admire anyone working in this scale, both sculpting and painting is very difficult.

• TimelordTim

January 21st, 2021 - 8:39am

That’s an excellent Kandyman model!! Brilliant, well done. A very nice collection too.

January 21st, 2021 - 3:50pm

Thanks Tim,
      Kandymans a work in progress, but if you check back next week I’ll be posting finished photos.

December 27th, 2020 - 3:38pm

Merry Xmas coleman. I,d just like to ask, have you got round to painting your Kandyman or are you still deciding which acrylics to use. It can be difficult to choose especially when you put so much effort in, it can make you apprehensive on how to go about it. Also, looking at the head did you stick the clay balls on the head after cooking and will you be adding the wiring to the body and doing the round plinth or just leaving well alone. Whatever, its still a very good effort all round. I may put mine up soon but i,m on with some others at present.

December 28th, 2020 - 10:12pm

Happy Christmas Ergon, yes put your figures on show here when possible I’ll definitely have a look.
      I managed to put it on a round white clay base, then oven baked it for 30 minutes at 110 c. (It’s turned out quite well). Then bought some Humbrol acryilcs, I’m in process of painting at moment.
      Probably be another couple of weeks though.
      Only painting in a morning now and again when not busy.

December 29th, 2020 - 11:03am

Theres just not enough hours in the day. I have to try to put a day aside each week. I,m glad your projects coming on though. Theres no rush with the painting, thats the beauty of working with Polymer. Hope you do more in the Harrop scale and Harrops are so slow at knocking out the figurines we,d like to see. I Might get the Terileptil Android when i,m 70, the way they are going.

December 29th, 2020 - 4:54pm

The Terileptils and the Android are one of my favourites too. (That haven’t been made yet) Hopefully Harrops Will make them soon, Should look great on display.

January 19th, 2021 - 8:27pm

Thanks for updating Booboo, should be finished by weekend (hopefully).

November 28th, 2020 - 10:31am

There are some great steelbook protectors you can buy made of plastic. Better than the bag ones, worth investing in! Love the lot though

November 28th, 2020 - 10:40am

Thanks, I’ll look into the dvd protectors.
      Only started using them because the cardboard sleeves damage so easily.
      (Damaged a few in the past).

November 21st, 2020 - 4:08pm

Hello Ergon,
    A scaled down version to match the Eaglemoss stuff would be the only other figure I’d be interested in doing. Only just finished sculpting so it hasn’t been baked yet. Was intending to put it on a round clay base to match the Harrops figures. Couple of days ago managed to get some pure white FIMO clay for this purpose.
    Won’t be long now before I’ll be trying the Bansley B&M store for the new CO sets.
    BooBoo, if ive double posted similar message, will you delete it. Having trouble with signal again, thanks.

November 20th, 2020 - 4:57pm

Rather impressed with that Kandyman, be sure to send some painted pictures in

November 20th, 2020 - 5:25pm

Thanks BooBoo,
      1st time Ive ever sculpted with polymer clay aswell.
      Thought I’d give it ago, because of Ergon and Doug who having a conversation on here awhile back saying they’d done a few customs in clay.
      So I thought I’d give it a bash.
      Will show painted photos eventually but ill have to buy some acrylics (only got enamels at the moment).

November 20th, 2020 - 1:54pm

In that line up of four its like sutekhs thinking ‘ How come i,ve been pushed to the back of the queue?’

• the 14th doctor

November 20th, 2020 - 1:36pm

great collection

November 20th, 2020 - 4:43pm

Thanks for commenting.

November 20th, 2020 - 1:27pm

You,ve done a really decent job there coleman. If not better than the ones the guy on the figurine collection did who was charging £30 for the miniature figurines. i have had to start from scratch as the clay i was using wasn,t quite right, so i,ve opted for the premo stuff. I didn,t want to bake but for better results it seems thats my only option. I,m going to make a few before i mould and then paint. What acrylics are you using? I,m sticking with matte as i,m sticking to the smaller 1:21 scale and the hands are slightly trickier than the full scale Harrop-a-like you have chosen to do .I,d like to see the finished product when its complete. Your patience has paid off. Well done.

November 20th, 2020 - 1:28pm

P.s -Whats next on your clay sculpting agenda?

November 20th, 2020 - 4:41pm

Thanks for commenting Ergon. Not certain I’ll make anymore (at the moment at least).
      Love kandyman, one of my all time favourite Dr who Characters. Due to the copyright issues, don’t think any company’s going to make him and I had to have one in my collection, so I thought making him myself was the only way to have one. Hoping all the other figures I’d like to own are made by one of the big company’s so I don’t have to make anymore.
      Going to use Humbrol acrylics, always used there enamels for other projects I’ve done and never had any complaints. Was going for a satin look, (not gloss not Matt somewhere inbetween), but looking at colours available, might have to settle for Matt finish.

November 20th, 2020 - 5:49pm

It was tricky doing the Robert Harrop scale, but I’d need alot more practice to do the Eaglemoss scale like your doing.
      Must be ultra tricky doing hands, head beads and so on in that scale.

November 21st, 2020 - 12:19pm

Like you wouldn,t believe. The headpart is the worst. the tiniest headbeads and all the other details including the face attachment and the painting of the spinning eyes. I just want one to go with the seventh figurines. The only Happiness patrol additions Eaglemoss could get the copyright for to acknowledge this story would be one of the Patrol, Helen A and Fifi or one of the underground Dwellers. Would they even bother with Melted Kandyman? (Unlikely, If they couldn,t do the real thing). That would be like producing ‘Destroyed Cassandra’ that ‘Character’ made and that didn,t shift so well on the shelves as i remember. Harrop and Eaglemoss have said they would love to do the Kandyman but its not likely to ever happen as you say. Your version is a triumph and i,m sure it must be a relief its almost done and turned out so well and matches with the others in the collection. Can,t wait to see the painted version. Are you going to round off the plinth like Harrop? and would you attempt a downscaled version if you have any spare clay to go alongside your eaglemoss collection?