February 6th, 2020 135 comments

Character 5.5″ 13th Doctor Electronic Tardis

Available to order from www.forbiddenplanet.com

Also available to order from www.character-online.com and www.amazon.co.uk

The Doctor Who Thirteenth Doctor Tardis is a replica of the Tardis feautred in the iconic TV Sci Fi series. This Electronic Tardis has multiple features including opening doors and ‘take off’ and ‘landing’ light plus Sound FX. In the TV Series the Tardis Reconfigured itself for the Thirteenth Doctor with a striking new crystalline and Honeycomb detailed control room.

Above image is our own.

The exterior is also subtly different with a darker, greener blue, a black information sign and a bright blue signal lights. The Electronic Tardis is a must have item for all Doctor Who fans and collectors and features classic Doctor Who style packaging.

• Replica of the Tardis featured in the iconic TV Sci Fi series.
  • Opening Doors
  • With ‘take off’ and ‘landing’ light
  • Sound FX
  • This is a must have item for all Doctor Who fans and collectors and features classic Doctor Who style packaging

Please note Tardis does not contain a card interior, other pictures circulating of this item have a custom interior to demonstrate you can print out and fit one yourself if required.

Categorised under: Doctor Who 5" scale figures, Toys

February 19th, 2020 - 5:44pm

Is there anywhere to buy the 12th Doctor Tardis?

• Doctorbendisco

February 25th, 2020 - 2:50pm

Try eBay I got one from there

• Nate

February 19th, 2020 - 6:12am

Any idea when this will be available in the US?

February 19th, 2020 - 1:41pm

They won’t be! Character Options do not have the Licence for the US anymore.The only way of purchase is through one of the companies listed or ebay. Unless of course a company in the US decide’s to import stock in? WHO America may have some stock – You would have to check with them?

• Steve

February 17th, 2020 - 12:51pm

Great to see these coming into Argos!
    I went into my two local stores this morning and each had one in. I decided to hold off though, as both had damage to the box. One had a big dent on the side and the other one would have reached me fine but the plastic got scrunched and left dented as the assistant lifted it off a big pile of boxes he was carrying on way to me lol. Being an in-box collector and already having one from Forbidden Planet i’m going to wait til they get new stock in and hopefully will be able to get one with a box in good condition

• When The Doctor Was Me

February 16th, 2020 - 4:22pm

Picked mine up today from Argos! So didn’t have to travel to far at all!
    I must say with all the inaccuracy it still manages to represent the box very well. I am tempted to try a custom to compare. But for now, i’m happy.

• dazzleshell

February 16th, 2020 - 11:37am

With it looking like we won’t see Series 13 til Autumn 2021 and the Dalek Xmas 2020/New Year’s Day 2021 special already filmed…

Do you think we won’t see any further 13th related figures til then. As they seem to hold them back for when show is on air.

Filming for Series 13 expected to start in August/September 2020.

February 16th, 2020 - 12:25pm

Cool

February 19th, 2020 - 5:17pm

If these figures do well then there could be potentially another release around Christmas/New Year time to coincide with the special. But they don’t seem to work logically so who knows?

• Sambot22

February 14th, 2020 - 2:15pm

Argos are now stocking this TARDIS, however it is not yet listed on the website or the app. The catalogue number is 714/7368 if you go into a store with this number and ask at the till they should have it on stock or if not they should be able to order one in. The price is £25, all my local stores have stock apart from inside Sainsbury’s. If anybody wants me to check stock I can of you tell me the store name I can check next time I’m at work. I am going to ask why it’s not online yet.

February 14th, 2020 - 2:44pm

good to see they are keeping it and presumably the figures as well

February 15th, 2020 - 8:06am

The listings now up on the website

• Sambot22

February 15th, 2020 - 3:15pm

The new 13th doctor figure is listed so I assume Argos will stock the rest too, stock of the 13th doctor is due at the beginning of march.

February 16th, 2020 - 1:09pm

Yes it’s on the website but sold out everywhere

February 16th, 2020 - 1:11pm

not sold out none have arrived yet

• McCoyBoah

February 13th, 2020 - 10:53am

Where can i get the interior card at?

• Mr a

February 12th, 2020 - 10:17pm

I found the insert you posted to be the perfect size! Please can you direct me to where I can find inserts of the Tardis control room for the 3rd dr and 4th st b&m sets. They are also empty and I would love to do those next. Thank you

February 12th, 2020 - 10:28pm

we are going to look at those, really pleased so many have used the 13th Tarsis background

February 23rd, 2020 - 3:08pm

Tardis I think you mean Booboo!
      (I’m not trying to be rude)

• Independently cross

February 27th, 2020 - 6:04pm

Yeah, that interior was an excellent and really appreciated idea, Booboo. Thanks for the effort there!
      (Would love other interiors, too, obviously, but of course there’s only so much time.) Really grateful.

• Steve

February 11th, 2020 - 11:29pm

Mine arrived from Forbidden Planet last Friday. Very pleased to have one so early. Being so used to the scramble of getting the B&M sets I really enjoyed being able to order online at proper retail price.
    Seeing it now in person I do like it. I know the sculpt is not entirely accurate, it being a reuse of a classic box, but I think they’ve done the best they can with it given the budget they had. There’s enough unique reworked features on it to make it original enough and satisfying as a 13th Doctor’s TARDIS. It does looks classy in the box, and I like the darker greener blue, and silver window frames and appreciate the effort of the resculpted roof, lantern and door sign. I was initially disappointed when I heard this TARDIS wasn’t going to have an interior light, as having a TARDIS lit from the inside, as in the 10th and 12th Doctors’ Electronic Flight Control TARDISes, is what gives it a magical quality. But it being a reuse of a classic Electronic box this is what we get, and it’s just nice have a release of a 13th Doctor’s Tardis. Only the fourth best of the four Electronic modern TARDISes maybe from a light and sound point of view, but I still like the way it looks, and I’m pleased we got it.
    I can’t see these coming into any shops in my local area. We don’t have a Forbidden Planet, and the last general release of the 13th Doctor figure only came into Argos and Toymaster here. I don’t think either will stock this TARDIS (though I will continue to check), but maybe the other figures will come in at the end of the month. I want the Dalek in particular.

• Independently cross

February 27th, 2020 - 6:15pm

I like it a lot, but still not sure why they used the mould of the classic box they’ve been customising lately, when my suspicion is that it should be the size of the 9th/10th, 11th and 12th boxes. I don’t need a new mould, I completely understand the necessity to retool as easily as possible, so have no problem with just sprucing up the existing mould- but from the outside it feels as easy to customise a new series mould as a classic series one? I might be completely wrong about the scale, but my impression is, in real life, 13’s TARDIS is the same scale as the last (new/modern) boxes. If that’s so, my only complaint is that they didn’t customise the mould of, say, 12’s instead of customising the mould of the classic boxes. (I actually hope I’m wrong and 13’s box in real life has reverted to a smaller scale, though, which makes this box as accurate as I’d be happy with.) Anyway, still looks very, very nice, just appears too small next to the others.

• Independently cross

February 10th, 2020 - 9:48pm

Any reason they’ve used the classic mould as the base for this rather than the modern TARDIS mould (other than that the classic has been the one most customised for B&M lately)? Is the actual 13th’s TARDIS (in real life) a smaller model than War/9/10/11/12 (ie.more to scale with classic models)? Perfectly happy with any other compromise just to get it, but it would seem a weird decision to scale it wrong when we all know we line up our collections. Not a particular moan and obviously won’t stop me getting it, but just wondered how inaccurate it is.

February 11th, 2020 - 8:41am

sadly there wasn’t enough demand to warrant an entirely new Tardis and the Classic one was the easier to adapt and get it somewhere near

• Independently cross

February 28th, 2020 - 6:21pm

Ah. Mentioned a few times on here that my only issue with this was the scale.
      Completely understood that it wasn’t economically viable to give us a completely new mould (as was prototyped)- but I couldn’t understand why the existing mould they chose to customise for this was a classic TARDIS rather than a new series TARDIS (as Character obviously had both as a base available to alter). I thought 13’s TARDIS was actually ‘new series’ in size.
      Having done some research now, I see the prop’s actually neither ‘classic’ size or ‘modern’ size, but somewhere in between the two (not as thin as the classic, not as wide as the modern- but wide enough to make the window frame more squared than the classic- and, overall, roughly the height of the modern), which is a real complication, meaning neither existing model really fits 13. Awkward.
      As I’ve said before, I still really like this- almost everything else is brilliant- colour’s great, decal is great, new roof and lantern/light is great, texture is great (if maybe a tiny bit too ‘concrete’ for 13 as it’s a classic base; though the really, really wooden texture of the modern bases would maybe be a compromise for this model, too, so it’s no problem at all). Fine with the lack of grooves on the posts or the window texture, as much as we’d all love 100% accuracy. The interior lights were lovely on 9/10 and 12, but obviously quite an extra expense, so no complaint about the loss of them… So my only issue at all is the scale, then- especially that the windows sit a touch too low and seem so thin compared to the width of the current prop, which is especially noticable when the figure’s at the door-
      but, basically, I can now see why that was so difficult to resolve. Real shame the actual prop has changed to this size, I suppose.

Anyway- Hopefully in future this model gives us a great ‘tvm’ 8 and the modern base can give us a great ‘night of’ 8/War via B&M, as both have existing figure moulds to accompany them, too. I suspect an 8th Tardis and a ‘TV movie’ 8th Doctor would be very popular with collectors- it’s often a fan suggestion- but maybe including the figures of both the ‘Night of’ 8th Doctor AND the War Doctor with the War Doctor TARDIS could allow them to charge an extra fiver or so for that one and make it more of a must for collectors, as the ‘Night of’ figure still seems quite sought after. In theory, they could bump up the price and collectorbility of the TV movie TARDIS if they included the ‘Dark Eyes’/Big Finish 8th Doctor, too, I suspect- so two slightly more niche B&M sets that have the collectorbility of the Dalek/Doctor sets that sold so quickly recently, with a sight bump in price for only the effort of paint apps on the TARDIS’.
      (I’d actually love an ’empty’ reissue of the 9/10 TARDIS so I can give 9 and 10 one each, too, rather than them share, if I’m wishing. And some empty/non sound/light reissues of the previous Forbidden Planet exclusives would be amazing, because I only ever got the Hartnell at that time. It’s great seeing specific variants like the Shada etc lately, but I personally think there’s still as much money to be made from reissuing the basics like those standard 4 and 7 etc cheaply before even worrying about minor alts, with no need to kit bash or repaint new figures when the basics can accompany these again happily.)
      By which time, we’d probably be ready for a ‘Ruth Doctor’ with a Hartnell reissue.
      Anyway, just future wishes that easily fit in with the way Character has to provide product at minimal cost/effort, while, I think, still satisfying the core base they have to attract at B&M.

(I’ve also seen the suggestion on here, that I think is great, to include the TARDIS interiors to cut out and insert yourself in future- makes way more sense to me to print that on the interior card they sit the model into inside the packaging, rather than the ‘scene’ they print onto that card. Those are nice, but they’re too big to use as a display if you have a few out, anyway, so I just fold ’em away and never see them again. If the interior was printed on that it adds no extra cost or effort at the production level, so makes absolute sense to me.)

Anyway- that’s my last little rant on this TARDIS- really lovely except for the scale, and I genuinely don’t know what the solution would be to that. I suspect, over time, sitting with it, some of us would have rathered a modern base, some the classic as chosen- but there’s no ideal solution. I think, as much as I’d have moaned to myself, I’d probably have rathered pay an extra tenner and had it the right size, but I doubt enough others would to even make that viable. (Of course, in an ideal world, I’d have loved enough to sell to warrant the new mould without a major price hike, too, particularly if this current prop size is used by the next Doctor, too; but absolutely not on the cards, of course).
      Anyway, I suspect I sounded more critical of the scale dilemma until I fully understood it. I can see now why it’s such a difficult one.

• Jordiwho

February 10th, 2020 - 9:19pm

Any idea where to get one in Australia?

February 13th, 2020 - 1:33pm

ebay

• Doctorbendisco

February 10th, 2020 - 11:03am

My tardis from forbidden planet has come today.

• Gallifrey Falls No More

February 10th, 2020 - 11:29am

Same here!!!

• Cook

February 8th, 2020 - 3:27pm

Forbidden Planet in Leicester has these on the shelf priced £27.99!! Sod that, I’ll wait for other shops to get them

• Greg

February 8th, 2020 - 10:47pm

That’s got to be a mistake. The one I picked up from forbidden planet in London was £24.99

• Cook

February 8th, 2020 - 11:46pm

I thought so too but the website says stores can set their own prices independently. Bit of a mick take if you ask me

• Greg

February 9th, 2020 - 11:17am

That’s just ridiculous!

• whovian

February 9th, 2020 - 6:18pm

Same in the Nottingham branch, only one TARDIS priced at £27.99.

Even the action doll of the Doctor has gone up to £21.99, it’s £4.99 in some B&M stores though

February 9th, 2020 - 7:59pm

Hi just to let you know that argos will not be stocking these items

• Mick

February 8th, 2020 - 2:00pm

Mine has arrived from forbidden planet today

• The Living Shadow

February 7th, 2020 - 7:52pm

Got mine today! The blue colour is perfect and matches the show very well, and it’s nice to see lights and sounds again!

The price does seem a little steep considering we’ve been spoilt by the glorious onslaught of beautiful B&M classic Tardis boxes which retail for £20 and come with a figure! Although for 13’s Tardis, the quality control seems to be better and, of course, lights and sounds are a great inclusion!

Overall it looks fab on display on display next to the 13th Doctor figure, so I’m still happy I bought it, despite it being a teeny bit overpriced!

• Demdike@CultLabs

February 7th, 2020 - 4:58pm

is there any news on these figures being sold in actual stores – Argos, Tesco etc as the original 5″ figures were or is it simply via online sellers?

February 7th, 2020 - 5:07pm

nothing, could change of course, but is suspect its lack of interest from the major chains as to why they had to compromise with the adapted classic Tardis rather than a brand new one.

• When The Doctor Was Me

February 7th, 2020 - 5:25pm

I contacted Smyths. They said:-

Unfortunately we don’t have any info on this range at the moment I’m afraid.
      Should the decision be made to stock these items then we’ll be sure to update our website accordingly so please do keep an eye out for any updates!

February 7th, 2020 - 5:30pm

In my experience CS very rarely know whats happening on the ground but Smyths have not done anything with Doctor Who really, Agros could add them still i suppose.

• When The Doctor Was Me

February 7th, 2020 - 5:40pm

Maybe Sainsbury’s will stock if Argos do? Seeing as they are linked now?

February 7th, 2020 - 5:43pm

I’d hoped they might get to some big name stores, time will tell

• Demdike@CultLabs

February 7th, 2020 - 11:11pm

Thank you for the replies.

• whovian

February 7th, 2020 - 12:56am

I would really like to get this, but I just can’t justify spending £25 on what is essentially a plastic box with a sound chip of the TARDIS’ sound effect.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s really good that we have these new bits of merchandise coming out, I know times have changed and everything, but back in 2007-08, there was that set that contained the 10th Doctor, his flight control TARDIS, Martha Jones AND Captain Jack Harkness, and that was £25-£30, but that had 3 action figures and the electronic TARDIS.

Plus with the backdrop that can be printed off, not all of us own a printer or can get to one. Hopefully it goes down in price over the next few months or so, because I think the most I would be willing to pay, (At a push), is around the £15 mark, and even then I’d be a bit reluctant, but I’m a collector, so guaranteed, when I actually find this in-store, my mind is just going to say “But I need it”.

I guess this is just how it’s going to be from now on. Still want the companions though and yes, I know I’ve said negative things about Ryan & Yaz, but that’s the completionist in me.

Hope everyone that wants these items can get them, but just don’t be tempted by the scalpers on selling sites like ebay, it’s just not worth paying more than the retail price

February 7th, 2020 - 7:01pm

ebay doesn’t come into this, plenty online, but much much lower protection from the “hay days” = higher prices, sorry but that’s the way it is

February 6th, 2020 - 10:06pm

Not at that price!

• Darren

February 6th, 2020 - 9:57pm

Forbidden Planet Newcastle have stock 🙂

• Doctor

February 6th, 2020 - 7:55pm

When do you think we will get official information on the b&m February wave

February 6th, 2020 - 8:12pm

no idea now, things have changed, just keep an eye on social media you are likely to hear about it first on there now.

February 10th, 2020 - 7:36pm

What figures will the new wave consist of? I’ve seen mentions of more Dalek sets, but will this be Big Finish again?

February 10th, 2020 - 7:43pm