May 6th, 2021 - 7:10pm

The new stuffs excellent Tim.
    Really curious about the black and white 2nd Doctor and Cyberman though.
    I know you like opening and displaying your CO figures but since this is very collectable will you keep this one sealed?

May 6th, 2021 - 7:19pm

Also Tim, have you had a look at this month’s DWM I can see in the top photo. Was just having a look through it myself a couple of days ago and near the middle of the mag theirs a couple of pages full of polymer clay customs that a fan as done. Their in an animation style rather than realistic but I think they look great.

• TimelordTim

May 6th, 2021 - 7:44pm

Hi Coleman, thanks, I’m glad you like the updates. I’ve got 7 more Harlequin/Warlord Games models on the way so will send them in when done as well.

The black and white Second Doctor is certainly staying in its packaging. It’s actually on a hook on the wall next to my display cabinet which works quite nicely. I may one day open my McGann from Night of the Doctor, but not the black and white set.

I haven’t really bought the magazine before but was really interested in reading about McGann and the writing process in these issues. But the fan customs was an unexpected bonus, a different style but certainly excellent. I particularly like Eldrad and the Silurian riding a T-Rex!

• Doug Who

May 5th, 2021 - 1:27pm

Hi Tim,
    Bit late to the party but loving your collection. I must admit I keep the CO figures boxed but I like these cabinets…will save hugely on dusting. I keep meaning to look out for similar ones for the Eaglemoss figurines.
    Your dioramas are just great! That Movellan one especially is brilliant. I don’t have any of the Warlord figures but they are so well sculpted for that scale.
    I’m fond of the Harlequin range because, as I’ve said elsewhere they do so many characters never done by anyone else. Looking at your collection, I may get a few more…tempted by their Myrka and Fendahleen.
    Thanks for sharing the photos.

• TimelordTim

May 6th, 2021 - 4:58pm

Hi Doug Who. I’m glad you like the photos of my collection.

The cabinet is great. I’ve never been one to keep the figures in their boxes (I only have 2 in boxes out of my whole collection now) so when I had them on a shelf dust was certainly an issue.

I first got the Harlequin models for use on a model railway. I started with the Ice Warriors but found them to be too big for the scale. So I moved on to doing the little scenes instead. As you say, the range is fantastic for getting characters that aren’t available in other ranges and the fun of painting them makes them even better.

After getting the Movellans, I’d certainly recommend Warlord Games. The sculpting is brilliant, they are only marginally bigger than Harlequin so work alongside well, and I like the fact they do more modern characters as well. I now have their Judoon and Silence as well, and have a Fisher King and Chantho on the way, and the quality of the models is excellent!

• Doug Who

May 6th, 2021 - 11:46pm

Liking the new additions. Yes I have a lot of the CO figures hung on hooks! Nightmare to dust!

I found a gaming zine online that had a nice feature on the Harlequin range and they did well over three hundred so Eaglemoss still have a way to go to equal them. Have you ever seen the ones they sold pre-painted? Some of the detail was great especially on the ‘human’ figures Someone sold a few on eBay last year so I bought a some.

I do really like the Warlord figures but I have to draw the line somewhere if nothing else because of space!

• TimelordTim

May 8th, 2021 - 2:05pm

I’ve seen some of the pre-painted ones, they are very good. I haven’t done much in the way of ‘human’ characters as not sure I could detail the faces but I may give it a go with some of them.

• Doug Who

May 8th, 2021 - 5:33pm

Hi Tim,

I have attempted to paint the faces on some of the Harlequin figures and it was a nightmare! I think the way to do it would be to use one of those magnifiers! It is not good for the eyes to do it without! I did buy a set of brushes especially to do the fine detail.

There’s a really good video online of someone custom painting a 13th Doctor Eaglemoss figurine and the difference is astounding. Obviously a mass market product cannot spend as much time on each figure but the detail on the end result is just amazing. It gives really good general tips on painting details.

• the ergon

May 11th, 2021 - 2:40pm

Just a quick question. what would you guys source as a substitute for a tutu if you were making a fishperson and would you go colour or Black and white?

May 11th, 2021 - 5:14pm

If your doing it to match the usual Eaglemoss scale, stick to colour so it matches your other customs and the main collection.

• the ergon

May 11th, 2021 - 5:32pm

I was thinking of going monochrome for painting the fish person as there doesn,t appear to be many colourised pictures and they look a bit gaudy to say the least. Also it wouldn,t require loads of different paint and i really like the look of them in the scenes and picture stills they are in. I,d been looking at various Ballerina dolls in clay and it seems there are ways to do the tutu in clay and the other way using household items etc might look somewhat jarring amongst the other figurines. if i can do items on this scale just using two or three colours it saves time so i can concentrate on other projects. Anyway The white Robot is mostly all white, so i say why not?

• the ergon

May 11th, 2021 - 5:36pm

P.s. I like the Noma addition tim. keep it original.

May 11th, 2021 - 5:42pm

Yes ergon, it’s up to you really, I only suggested colour in case Black and White was a bit jarring with all the other coloured figurines.
      Only really seen one colour photo of a Fish Person (most of the costume including headress was a yellowy gold colour). Don’t even know if it was a genuine colour still or just colourised?

• Doug Who

May 11th, 2021 - 10:02pm

Hi Ergon, Coleman and Tim!

I seem to remember there’s the (rather bright orange) colour Fish Person on the DVD but not sure how accurate that would be to the original but I suppose it is on official product!

You could follow the book cover’s rather more mutes colour scheme. It would look fine in monochrome and there is precedent if you like. Eaglemoss released black and white Zarbi and Mechonoid and there are colour images freely available which differ quite a lot. The Zarbi is brown with orange eyes and the Mechonoid is metallic blue.

With the ‘tutu’ you could use fine netting and impress it on the clay. I tried a similar technique to get scales on a Foamasi bust and it worked really well and saved a lot of work in texturing.

Very much looking forward to seeing the finished Fish Person, Ergon.

I recently completed a custom ‘Door Cutter Dalek’ from ‘The Daleks’. Even doing just one attachment was quite time consuming!

• the ergon

May 11th, 2021 - 11:11pm

Theres been four things that have slowed me down. Getting the scale right (especially where arms and legs are concerned, I hate doing legs), tricky minute features, multiple painting and having enough time. Its been a real learning curve but i endeavour and with each attempt. I,ve learnt what i,ve been doing wrong and learnt some lessons. It was a bit trial and error at first and that was with the basic tutorials but they are coming on more now. Once i get those first five done i,ll put them up. I know i keep saying this but i want them to look half decent. I,ll put them between other figurines for you to spot when i,ve done.
      P.s-Those miniature shape clay cutters have saved me a hell of a lot of time and are proving to be a real time saver for the eaglemoss- a- like figurines. I didn,t realise how ill equipped i was but have accumulated more tools etc to take on these projects now.
      You cant really get a close up with the tutu. I was going to buy and cut something like a bathroom shower scrunchy and see if that works to get a pattern but i,ll see what transpires. If that fails i,ll try rolling the clay to make long tube like shapes or something. As i say trial by error.

• Doug Who

May 11th, 2021 - 11:36pm

Sculpting a vaguely humanoid character isn’t something I’ve attempted as yet! The Kandyman was sculpted around an existing figurine so yes I can imagine getting the proportions right is always tricky.

Like you I thought about improvising with different materials. For example on the Rutan. I did find fine fibres which could have reproduced the thin filaments you see on screen but I thought Eaglemoss wouldn’t be able to do that so I compromised.

Which miniature shape clay cutters did you find by the way?

And good luck with the Fish Person. I suppose if you rolled the clay thinly enough, you could try folding it to mimic the fabric.

• the ergon

May 12th, 2021 - 10:24am

Doing humanoid characters with intricate detailing on say costumes of the protagonist in question can be very tricky and so i tend to go for the more simpler. Eaglemoss must use decal to get designs just right, for example The celestial Toymaker, which i thought was superb. I occasionally draw rough sketches or write down what i need to apply or what might be required before i start. It can save some time if you know what you want and have particular items at hand.
      The miniature clay cutters you can get in all shapes and sizes. They have the round, rectangle, triangles and more. I bought international from Etsy. They retail around £25-26+ and the round hole cutters are around £6-7 excluding P+P. The round hole cutters i,ve used for replicating the scales/sequins used for the fish person and i also used for the Kandyman spog head rather than making tiny balls which would take up lots of my time. There are always ways and means to get around something that is proving difficult to achieve.

• Doug Who

May 12th, 2021 - 12:43pm

Yes Eaglemoss use transfer printing for the intricate patterns. An obvious example was on the Davison figure in the Fifth Companion Set, which was peeling off on my figure and had a nasty glossy finish! Such a shame because it worked so well on the Toymaker as you say.

Thanks I’ll look into those cutters – could be useful for a Krarg!

Yes I did spend several hours making the tiny spheres for the Kandyman’s head in various sizes!! Ridiculous!

• The ergon

May 12th, 2021 - 1:22pm

It was madness doug. There just had to be an easier and less stressful way. I was going to mention the kraag. Depending on the size you choose to do, the miniature triangle cutters would be ideal for layering the body.

April 11th, 2021 - 3:31pm

Hello Tim it’s Coleman again,
    I know you like your Dr Who Character Options figures and The ergons just messaged me about a customiser on Flickr. If you’ve time Just google Rob Whites Character customs on Flickr and be amazed.

• TimelordTim

April 12th, 2021 - 8:48am

Hi Coleman, there are certainly some excellent customs out there! I’ve seen a few great ones on eBay as well that go for a lot of money. Always nice to see what people can create.

• 76Totter’sLane

April 2nd, 2021 - 1:01am

Nice to see Frobisher in the background.

• TimelordTim

April 2nd, 2021 - 8:28am

Unfortunately, I’m afraid that’s not the case.

I study seabirds and the bird behind the DVDs is my personal favourite, a Razorbill.

• Gary H.

April 1st, 2021 - 10:49am

Hello, I noticed you have alot of CO figures. Have you been buying them from when they were first released or have you been playing catch-up?

• TimelordTim

April 1st, 2021 - 6:07pm

Hi Gary H. I bought some of them when they were first released, mostly from the modern era but a few of the classic characters as well.

But I’ve actually been playing catch-up for about half of my current collection. Since May last year I have added 55 figures to this collection, 7 from B&M/Argos and 48 through eBay.

It has taken a while as I keep myself to price limits and so it takes quite a lot of patience to get some of the rarer ones for affordable prices.

March 31st, 2021 - 4:53pm

I noticed you have loads and loads and loads of CO figures. Will you eventually buy another cabinet as your collection expands?
    (Really like the cabinet by the way).

• TimelordTim

March 31st, 2021 - 6:16pm

I have room for some more in the cabinet, just about, but I have no doubt that I will eventually get another cabinet when the collection expands and space at home allows 🙂

April 2nd, 2021 - 11:18am

Hello Tim, it’s Coleman again.
      Don’t know if you ever look at the other collections on here. But if you get time looked at Prototype Daleks collection on this page. Really nice collection, especially the full sized orange Paradigm Dalek he as on show.

• TimelordTim

April 2nd, 2021 - 12:57pm

Yep, I’ve enjoyed looking through the other collections on this site, it is what inspired me to add mine to the mix. Some amazing collections out there!

March 31st, 2021 - 4:28pm

Very good collection their TimelordTim, I’m glad I’m one of the first to comment, since you kindly commented on my collection.
    Especially like the little diaramas you made for the Harlequin figures. Looks like alot of time and effort went into those. Very well painted figures aswell.
    I noticed the Movellan Warlord figures you recently bought are painted aswell.

• TimelordTim

March 31st, 2021 - 6:14pm

Hi Coleman, thank you, I’m glad you like the collection.

The Harlequin figures are a bit time consuming to paint but worth it. I have a model railway, which is 1/76th scale (and the first picture shows models I have done for this), so I’m used to painting even smaller models as standard. Harlequin allows me to do a bit more detail for a change.

I am glad I got the Movellans as well, I’ll certainly be keeping an eye out for future Warlord Games models. These, and Harlequin, are a great way to expand the characters on display beyond what CO offer.

April 1st, 2021 - 10:45am

Just curious, have you removed the little figures bases, or have you kept them intact and just buried them in the diarama.
      Whatever you’ve done it’s an excellent job.

• TimelordTim

April 1st, 2021 - 5:59pm

The scenes are made from a base of 3mm mdf, on top of which I glued a thin bit of polystyrene packaging. I covered this with paper towel soaked in watered down PVA. After this I then painted the scene with acrylic paints.

Once all that was done I then used a craft knife to cut into the scenes so that I could put the models in. The Harlequin figures kept the straight metal bar on the bottom but not the round plastic bases. This meant I just had to cut a slit in the scene, put PVA on the figures metal bar, and slide them into the gap. It works very well.

The Warlord Games figures came on a round base that I kept attached. I followed the same method but had to cut a round slice out of the scene instead of just making a slit. They also had some PVA on the bottom and I painted the base the same colour as the scene with my acrylics so they would blend in. The scenery then hides and seams.

The models are painted with Humbrol enamels.