• Doctor…Who?

March 15th, 2022 - 7:07pm

These are great! Love the cutting tool Dalek, simple but effective.

Any plans for future ones, or is that to be kept secret? Loved all of them so far

March 15th, 2022 - 7:38pm

Hi Doctor!

Thanks very much…really appreciated!

Yes I’m quite surprised that Eaglemoss haven’t done the cutting tool Dalek yet! Maybe it will be a subscriber special now it seems to have been extended. Quite tricky colour matching that one…it is a very, very dark grey. Looks almost black in some photos. I thought that Character should have done one as a variant in the ‘History’ set.

I have a couple of ones I’d like to tackle. Not a secret as such but it takes me ages to get round to them so prefer to say when they’re done. They will be bigger ‘specials’, one from Troughton, one Tom Baker!

• TimelordTim

March 15th, 2022 - 4:24pm

Excellent Doug Who, some very nice additions there! The Troll Doll works brilliantly and makes me think you’d do a great job of a Pting or baby Weeping Angel.

• the Ergon

March 15th, 2022 - 5:20pm

Sorry for cutting in Tim but now youre talking. I could imagine Doug doing a Pting about to munch on part of the spaceship. Your a dab hand with the smaller stuff. I couldn,t even make my attempt at a Troll doll work, so for me its over to eaglemoss.

March 15th, 2022 - 6:03pm

Thanks Tim! I hadn’t thought of a Baby Weeping Angel (Weeping Cherub?) so that’s a possibility. I wasn’t that fond of P’Ting so not sure I would go to the trouble.

I’d thought of doing Adipose, with maybe one scrambling up the edge of the plinth!

I must admit I’m keener to fill gaps in the ‘classic’ collection rather than more recent characters. Maybe down the line a bit.

Small stuff is fiddly but surprisingly the Troll Doll was quite easy, maybe because it’s design is quite deliberately crude anyway!

• The ergon

March 14th, 2022 - 3:34pm

Some lovely little additions to your cusroms collection doug. Although i fancy holding out for the master in suit and troll doll. Another guy did exactly the same as you with the gold bandages. Not sure eaglemoss would cover them as a variant. The dalek incubator youve done a lovely job. I think props as customs to accompany these figurines are your forte as well as regular stuff.

March 14th, 2022 - 6:05pm

Thanks Ergon. Confession time however! I didn’t make the Incubator…I bought it from someone who made it as a one off. Was thinking if doing one anyway but this saved some time and effort!

I’m not sure that Eaglemoss will do the Master with the Troll Doll. They’ve already done the Master from ‘Terror’ and they don’t show any signs of doing ‘combo’ figures…yet anyway. I always thought they could do Sarah with Queen Spider and Helen A with Fifi as well as the Master with doll. good way to do the smaller characters!

Yeah the Guardian Mummy was the easiest of the lot! Thought they might do one when they did SV7 and the ‘Revenge’ Cyberman.

• the Ergon

March 15th, 2022 - 5:15pm

Can i just ask , do you gloss finish a lot of your customs Doug? It certainly seems like you do.

March 15th, 2022 - 5:54pm

Not as a rule Ergon.

If it has a glossy finish, like the Rutan or the Kandyman’s torso, I’ll use gloss varnish. Maybe things look a bit shiner in the photos?

Acrylic paint gives quite a matte finish.

• The ergon

March 15th, 2022 - 8:15pm

Yeah doug i was going to say the acrylic paint is good for a matte covering but slows you down due to layering thats why ive resorted to coloured clay even though its trying to get the exact shades.. Ill only use gloss varnish when required.

March 15th, 2022 - 8:36pm

I think using a good white primer works well with acrylic paint. I use quite good quality artist’s acrylics which give quite good coverage even with one coat. Never liked using enamels except for metallic finishes!

• The ergon

March 16th, 2022 - 12:21am

I,m using metallic colour polymer and chrome markers. The only problem with the latter is you can overpaint when it comes to small fine detail as i found to my peril. Chrome enamel on top of the metal polymer can give extra sheen. Never thought to prime on polymer before. I might try that and test that before i do any others.

March 14th, 2022 - 1:22pm

Brilliant Doug. Absolutely love the Troll Doll, Dalek incubator and the paintwork on the Robot Mummy . Well done.
    I’m sure you’ll get many approving comments for these.
    Looks like Eaglemoss could have made these especially the incubator which I think is my Fave.

March 14th, 2022 - 6:11pm

Hi Coleman,

Thanks! As I just said to Ergon I didn’t actually make the Incubator. Trust that one to be your favourite! 🙂

The only one I’ve bought so far! I don’t think it would be too hard to do but saved me the effort.

Quite pleased with the Troll Doll and couldn’t resist adding an ‘Auto-jet’ daffodil! Although fiddly at that scale, the doll was quite easy to sculpt.

Going to attempt a couple of ‘specials’ next I think.

March 14th, 2022 - 7:42pm

Yes ah, ah, the Troll Doll is Excellent aswell Though.
      Was the incubator a kit that you had to paint or did it come ready made and painted?

March 15th, 2022 - 11:10am

It came complete and painted. The base was 3D printed, which is not something I could do. He made it as a one off and sold it with a ‘Mutant Scoop’ Dalek, which I sold on. He also made a Dapol size version but I’m not sure he ever sold that one.

Usually I would have made my own version but sourcing and drilling the clear globe would have been a hassle.

Actually, I wasn’t going to upload pictures of it because I didn’t make it myself, but it’s a really nice model and deserves to be seen I think!

• the Ergon

March 7th, 2022 - 10:30am

Doug. I dont know if youve been following the figurines collection page polls but i think you might be slightly aggrieved to learn the Kraag is way down fans pecking order with 11 votes. Saying that, its not all bad considering the competition its up against and theres a desire for it at least unlike some. There are a few in said poll which come higher but don,t excite me as much either. They need to do a New series Poll. Take note Mr. Welch. I,d love a sandman, Ganger and Spoonhead girl from Claras book. I may have mentioned this once or thrice.

March 7th, 2022 - 6:00pm

I love the Gangers, especially that Female lead. Was genuinely expecting her to arrive in the Character Options line before it went to pot.
      But would equally like an Eaglemoss Version or even an Harrops one would be good.
      Would definitely buy all three.
      Just love that strange face combined with those snazzy overhauls.

March 7th, 2022 - 6:45pm

If any of you Guys are long time collectors of Character Options, I guess youll remember some of the last figures CO made were the Rebel flesh waves, were you could buy a Ganger version of Matt Smith and of course the “Flesh Chamber”.
      So was fully expecting some of the Gangers to start showing up next in the shops.
      Probably would have if sales hadn’t started dropping drastically.

• The ergon

March 7th, 2022 - 11:18pm

I wanted jennifer ganger and buzz. It never came ro pass coleman but i did own the doctor ganger. I hope these character online exclusives make it happen. Anything they can make more doubles or trebles with as well

January 17th, 2022 - 12:03pm

It’d be interesting to see how the pyramid of Yeti control spheres actually looks with a Yeti figure.

January 17th, 2022 - 2:07pm

Oddly I haven’t even thought of doing that! Maybe I’ll take a picture of the two.

January 17th, 2022 - 11:21am

Always though Harrops should do the Rutan crawling up the side of the Lighthouse.

January 17th, 2022 - 11:12am

One of the custom jobs I’ve seen which I really liked was what I call the ‘chess piece ‘ delegate from the Masterplan. Someone recreated him as an eaglemoss figure and it was an excellent piece of work – can’t even find the pic now. I did wonder because it was very similar in style to yours Doug – even on an eaglemoss base. The Masterplan delegates would come very near the top of my list of wanted eaglemoss and Harrops items especially Malpha.

January 17th, 2022 - 11:51am

Hello Popplewick, I think everyone calls it the Chess piece. Ive seen it called that many times over the years by different people.
      Hello Again Doug, Ive just been looking at how your comments have shot up recently with your addition of Kandyman. It seems to have garnered alot of interest.

January 17th, 2022 - 12:00pm

Im going to have to have another look at the surviving masterplan episode which features the delegates although somethings telling me they actually look better in Mission to the Unknown – certainly all the publicitiy stills with the delegates and Verity catch the eye.

January 17th, 2022 - 12:05pm

Hi Coleman be interesting to see how much a good custom Kandyman figure would go for on Ebay.

January 17th, 2022 - 12:45pm

A fair version by a lad on the facebook page sold on bids for just over £100 a few years ago.

January 17th, 2022 - 1:10pm

Hi Popplewick,

Yes that custom figurine was great. I’ve got pictures somewhere. One of the characters that wouldn’t be too hard to make and I’ve thought about sculpting one. I think that delegate is called Sentreal.

I’ll respond to your other post here as it’s getting confusing! I really like Phil Robinson’s stuff and I have about sixty of his HUD busts! There are so many variations and so expensive even if they do turn up. I often wonder if he’ll do any more. I would love to get his Eldrad and Heironymous busts. Didn’t the BBC intervene about selling unofficial merchandise? I have bought directly from him occasionally but he does charge a lot. Had the chance to get a Macra mini but he wanted 150 quid which I couldn’t afford at the time!

I did start making my own and got as far as Daffodil Auton, Alpha Centauri, Foamasi, Melkur and Collector busts.

Yes Coleman, comments have gone a bit crazy since the Kandy Man appeared! Shows how much interest there is in it! It makes all the work that went into it worthwhile.

January 17th, 2022 - 4:17pm

Philip was working on more busts but its gone very quiet with him – he had masses of proposed stuff on his facebook page too. I missed his Hieronymous and it’s a stunner too – haven’t seen any on ebay for a while now. Wish someone would release a Macra replica – original Troughton version that is. A guy named Neil Sims also released some cracking busts to – in fact his Kandyman is the only version I have. He produced some superb ones including a smashing Terileptil and Sil.

January 17th, 2022 - 5:07pm

I love Neil Sim’s busts! They are really beautiful sculpts. They look like the characters but you can also see the hand of the artists there which is a fine balance. I’m very envious of you having the Kandy Man bust…it is lovely!

I have the Sims Eldrad, Sil and Sutekh busts which are amazing too especially Eldrad. There was a catastrophe when the Sutekh one fell and the ear came off! I was furious with myself although it glued back on and you can’t tell!

Do you have a few of the HUD busts?

January 22nd, 2022 - 11:36am

Just been searching for Neil Simms Dr Who Busts on eBay, but theirs nothing on at the moment.
      However theirs an auction for some Neil Simms Only Fools and Horses Busts.
      They look Superb.
      I know Egon mentioned his Dad loved ‘Only Fools’ and had acquired some Big Chief Bobble heads for him last Christmas.

January 22nd, 2022 - 11:51am

Big ‘Only fools’ fans in our family coleman. So tell me, are these Sims busts customs or manuafactured? Ive viewed a few of them and they are very well detailed for what they are? i,m not sure i,d start collecting busts as well,as i,d much prefer the full item. Perhaps someone should bring out a range of ‘classic scenes’ figurines from Doctor Who. The only ones i ever saw was the Genesis one with the doctor keeping Davros from using his hand to raise the alarm and the one with The Master looking over a collapsed ‘Carnival’ auton. They were both excellent. Now thats a range i would start collecting.

January 22nd, 2022 - 12:15pm

I think the Simms Busts are Manufactured ergon. Maybe Doug will know more about them than I do. I was going to ask him if he knew how many Simms Dr Who Busts were made in total. I’ve seen about Twelve, (so far).
      Some of the Simms Busts I’ve seen have been like an Edition of 25 were you get a certificate included. ( No 3 of 25, etc).
      Check out Ebay ergon, theirs a set of Only Fools Simms Busts on Auction at the moment going for £450 so far. They look really great.

January 22nd, 2022 - 1:29pm

Hi Ergon and Coleman,

The Sims busts were a range limited of limited busts sculpted, cast and painted by Neil Sims in around 2006. There were about 30 in total and also a more limited release of the 60s characters finished in black and white. They were not licensed (hence the Kandy Man) which may be why they were around for such a short time. Not sure if, like Philip Robinson he ran into trouble with the Beeb.

They were beautifully made and as I said before he has his own style but they capture the characters so well. The Eldrad bust was his favourite – it is gorgeous and I’m lucky enough to have that one. You very rarely see them for sale and they are very expensive when they do come up. I think there’s a Sil on Ebay just now.

Neil is well known for doing Laurel and Hardy related busts too.

January 22nd, 2022 - 2:13pm

Need an edit button! One too many ‘limiteds’ in that previous post!

There is one of Neil Sims’ Sil busts on Ebay, Coleman but search for ‘Doctor Who Bust Statue of the Mentors’ and it should come up.

P.S. I just modified my own custom Super Voc figurine to hold a ‘robot deactivation disc’ (i.e. bicycle reflector!) so it’s different to the Eaglemoss one!

January 16th, 2022 - 4:54pm

Just curious Doug are you a Robert Harrop collector ?

January 16th, 2022 - 5:22pm

I have some although don’t collect them all due to the cost mainly, but the slightly stylised look of some puts me off a wee bit. Personally I just prefer the scale and look of Eaglemoss, especially their monsters!

Do you collect both?

January 16th, 2022 - 5:31pm

I’m surprised Doug you have a few Harrops figures. I was sure you weren’t interested in them. I don’t think I’ve ever heard you mention them.
      I know you love the Eaglemoss stuff.

January 16th, 2022 - 6:40pm

I like a lot of the monsters Coleman. The Malus and Gravis are fantastic and a couple I couldn’t resist like Aggedor and the Sea Devil. I do wish I’d got some of the earlier figures like Varga and Sutekh. Not quite so keen on their ‘human’ likenesses which they do in their own style of course.

I think I’ll get the Daffodil Auton and Troll Doll.

January 16th, 2022 - 7:52pm

Hi Doug I collect all Harrops, classic Eaglemoss (and the occassional new series figure which interests me) and some Big Chief stuff Doug. You ought to come post a few pics on Harrops facebook page….I think when it comes to Harrops I suppose it’s the ‘human’ looking figures who might be classed as stylised – the aliens have always appeared spot on to me (I love ’em all). I’ve always said they’re the merchandise I waited decades for. Waiting for Harrops or Eaglemoss (or both) to start making Who vehicles and spacecraft.

• Judooning

January 16th, 2022 - 7:52pm

How have I only just seen these? They are incredible! I’d love every single one of these to be made!
      Well done

January 16th, 2022 - 8:44pm

Thanks Judooning, much appreciated! I know, I’d still like Eaglemoss to do any (or all) of them.

• The ergon

January 16th, 2022 - 10:19pm

Very unlikely youll ever get a kandyman release judooning. Give custom making a try and make your own for your collection. You neednt rush, you can come back to your project anytime. Its not always easy but if you check out a few tutorials and take your time it can be very fulfilling.

• Judooning

January 16th, 2022 - 11:43pm

I’ve given it some thought a few times. I feel like i would lack the skill. But I suppose practice makes perfect.

January 17th, 2022 - 10:53am

Hi Popplewick,

Yes the Eaglemoss collection in particular is like something I dreamt of when I was a kid. I remember daydreaming when I was about 11 thinking of models of all the monsters from ‘Who’ – and now we have it although I never dreamt there would be so many!

I’m not on Facebook but if you want to share the photos please feel free!

January 17th, 2022 - 11:14am

We all lacked the skill Judooning. Custom making can build resilience and confidence once you get fully in there. There will also be many expletives and burying face in hands along the way as well. You have been warned. XD

January 17th, 2022 - 11:19am

Eaglemoss and Harrops are making the ‘weetabix’ cards from the 70s as 3d figures, something I always dreamed of when I was stuffing my fizzog with weetabix to get the set.

January 17th, 2022 - 11:22am

I did some training in sculpture techniques when I was at art college which certainly helps me! I think it takes patience and a good eye for detail and as Ergon says, you do build confidence but mistakes will probably happen, so yes expletives will fill the air occasionally! A steady hand, good reference pictures and proper tools, such as fine brushes for painting, also help.

• The Fishmonger

January 16th, 2022 - 4:52pm

I wish I had that level of skill and patience. Terrific stuff.

January 16th, 2022 - 5:29pm

Thank you very much. Nice to know all that effort is appreciated. As Ergon and Coleman will tell you making these is a labour of love, with emphasis on the labour!

January 16th, 2022 - 6:56pm

Give me the Hue and cry song to boost my morale .

January 16th, 2022 - 4:52pm

Excellent stuff only discovered these for the first time today and they’re brilliant. All instantly recognizeable, classic stuff any fan would be chuffed to own. The Kandyman is the star I’d love to own one like that. I also like the cyberman carrying the cyberbombs and that Ogri is also a gem – if you could hollow it and put a light in it ! Rutans good only ever seen the one made by Philip Robison as part of his mini terrors collection before that. Are you having a go at a Menoptra ? The maggots need the fly too 😀

January 16th, 2022 - 5:16pm

Hi Popplewick,

Thanks very much for the positive comments, much appreciated.

I did think of using a paint effect for the lights on the Ogri but decided to just leave it. Would need to be really thin to allow any light through. I think I’ve seen 3D printed versions with LED lights inside. I like to keep them as close to Eaglemoss style as possible.

Thought about a Menoptera, especially after Coleman’s spectacular Harrops-style figure. Again the ‘Green Death’ fly I thought would look cool ‘hovering’ above the maggots but need a break after the Kandy Man!

Phil Robinson’s Mini Terrors are quite cool, his Aggedor especially! I wish I’d got his Macra and Drashig.

January 16th, 2022 - 7:55pm

Me too Doug I missed both of those and even more so the Rill and Chumbley he made which were superb. I keep waiting for Philip to start up again he’s had stuff waiting in the wings for months. His busts are spectacular too and not to be missed if he ever gets his new batch off the ground.

January 16th, 2022 - 7:56pm

I really hope this new guy at Eaglemoss tries to tackle the rights to Kandyman and some items from the Cushing films – not least a figure of Peter himself

January 17th, 2022 - 9:06am

i would imagine rights issues and licensing agreements are dealt with by a different department rather than the editorial team, there are many layers to the figuring collection including a development Manager and Ben Robinson who overseas several collection they just choose not to interact on Social Media very much.

The development manager is at a DWAS event so maybe he will get asked the questions.

Ultimately the Kandyman will be a BBC / Bassett’s issue, nothing can happen without their approval but I’m sure Eaglemoss and Harrops would jump at the chance.

January 16th, 2022 - 7:59pm

If he can’t get the rights to Kandyman Happiness patrol should be represented by a good figure (maybe a special) of Fifi instead.

January 17th, 2022 - 10:26am

kill 2 birds with one stone. Helen A with Fifi in arms. That still leaves out the eponymous Happiness patrol or the underground Pipe People.

January 17th, 2022 - 10:56am

A Pipe Person would be great to represent the story. I wonder if likeness rights might scupper a figurine of Helen A and Fifi although that would be fantastic as well.

January 17th, 2022 - 11:41am

Sheila Hancock was brilliant in that story one of the best female villains in the shows history.

• TimelordTim

January 16th, 2022 - 11:33am

Wow Doug! Quite simply, wow!

The Kandyman is superb, such a high level of detail on a figure that size is very impressive.

I’m looking forward to whatever you come up with next, and I really like the photo you’ve done of all your customs on the stand together, you can really see the passion and skill that went in to them.

January 16th, 2022 - 11:49am

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much! All this praise will give me too big a head like my Kandy Man!

Generally quite happy with how they’ve all come out although the Keller Machine could be more refined I think.

The next one I have planned is quite different and I’m not sure it will work but we’ll see. Could be some time before I even start.

I got a few new Harlequins too, some already painted but made a little base for the Myrka inspired by your mini landscapes!

• TimelordTim

January 16th, 2022 - 9:04pm

Sounds good Doug, would be great to see your Harlequins as well some day.

January 16th, 2022 - 10:32am

Superb Doug, I bet your very proud, (and rightly so). You’ve certainly thrown down the gauntlet to ergon. It’s a shame Neils not still in charge of the magazine, I’m sure he would have commented (Maybe Mark will instead).
    I’d have a go at the kraag now Doug, I’m sure you’ll do it justice if the Kandymans anything to go by. Theirs no guarantee Eaglemoss will make one and the line could be ending soon.
    How did you do the eyes at such a small scale. (Did you make them out of paper and glue them on)?

January 16th, 2022 - 10:59am

By the way the wires work really well, very impressed (leave them on Doug). I’ve actually changed my mind that on models they don’t spoil the Aesthetic. (If done correct). Might try it on mine one day and add the Frosting, it makes it look great.

January 16th, 2022 - 11:33am

Hi Coleman,

Thanks very much for the kind comments. I think I’m more happy it’s finally done than proud but quite happy with it!

I tried painting the eyes with a very small brush and while it worked, the black line was a bit too thick for me so I used some fine black wire. I’ve noticed that Eaglemoss have used a raised texture (eg on Seventh Doctor’s trousers) so thought that would work better.

Yes, it would be nice to hear what Neil thought of it with all his years of experience on the collection.

I think I will leave the wires. They look ok but think your model works equally well without. With the ‘frosting’, I used a pearlescent paint mixed with white which adds a nice shine. It was the bit I enjoyed most because I was so close to the finish!

I’ll hold off on the Krarg for now. Going to be too busy for the next few months to have much time to spend on customs unfortunately.

• The ergon

January 15th, 2022 - 7:06pm

Terrific kandyman doug. I,ve got my work cut out now but at least im not in a race to complete and can take my foot off the gas a little bit. The swirly eyes, wiring and frosting youve done to perfection. If only people knew what we put ourselves through when we undertake these projects. Easy enough at the planning stage but not so when it comes to actually making them. A triumph.

• The ergon

January 15th, 2022 - 7:29pm

I dont know the collective noun for such a fine collection of monsters but i admire all of your work.id take a crack at that kraag. After the mammoth task of completing the kandyman, i would have thought a flared triangulat hulk would be the easiest of tasks once all the mini triangles are cut and stuck.

January 15th, 2022 - 7:36pm

Thanks Ergon! Much appreciated! The head is proportionately a little too big because I forgot to take into account it would get bigger when I stuck the texture on. But I simply could not face taking them off to sand it down any more. The hands are not great either but good enough for display. The frosting was the most fun part and tried not to go overboard which was tempting.

The swirls! Well I did paint one with a very small brush but although it looked fine, I preferred a finer line so used the Eaglemoss trick of a raised pattern so used black wire.

I’m pleased with it and that’s about the best we can hope for when we do these. As you say, it is a lot of work and supposed to be fun but can be incredibly frustrating! Having a break before starting any more but next will be a ‘special’ sized one.

Such a shame Neil is no longer working with the collection – I would have loved to hear what he thought of this one! I miss his posts too.

Looking forward to seeing yours but take it easy.

January 15th, 2022 - 8:46pm

Well i think its fabulous. I did say the hands and eyes are the tricky part but it looks like you overcome the problems there especially fine painting those multicolured finger ends and the underside of the palms. the wiring for the eyes i never would have guessed but i couldnt see close enough. I might have to poach that idea if i struggle to find a compromise. such detail. i,m going to tell you now my Kandyman version is mostly coloured clay for the chest, the yellow liquorice waist even down to the stripes. Mismatched lines drives me bonkers. Youll see which ive painted and where i,ve substituted when i finish. The appendages, wiring and frosting i can take credit for. Sometimes you have to cut corners to aim for perfection. You can stand tall knowing yours is your own hard graft and paintwork. Thanks for sharing Doug.

January 15th, 2022 - 9:53pm

Thanks very much again Ergon! If you look really closely at the hands the fingers are quite rough but as I say it looks well enough to display. A couple of times I got really fed up with it such as the arm to shoulder joints so they could have been better but again I’m happy and sometimes enough is enough in fact enough is too much!

Looking forward to seeing yours and I can understand why you used coloured clay but I really enjoy the painting process.

I’m going to leave the Krarg for now just in case Eaglemoss do decide to do one. Apart from the modified figurines, the ones I make from scratch focus on characters I don’t think Eaglemoss will be able or be allowed to do.

I wondered if they were ever allowed to do the Kandy Man, it might have been a larger special edition due to the detail.

Good luck with finishing yours.

January 16th, 2022 - 11:18am

Just been reading your comments Doug. I did the exact same thing with the head, I made the head the actual size and forgot that adding the tiny balls would make it too big.
      I’d actually put a few balls on before I realised what would happen, so I took the balls off and made the head smaller and started from scratch with adding all the balls again.
      I made quite a few mistakes like this while making him so it took me way longer to make that he should have.
      Then to top it off, I’d never used acrylic paint before on models and it surprised me how bad it covers in respect to Enamels, so I had to put loads of coats on to make it look right. You get the jist. (Oh Dear).

January 16th, 2022 - 11:44am

It was a schoolboy error with the head! By the time I properly noticed I’d stuck most of them on and just couldn’t face doing it all again.

I always use acrylic paint because I find enamel quite unforgiving and too difficult to mix. Acrylic being water based is much easier to clean up too. The downside is that it can be harder to get a good, even cover but on the smaller scale that’s not such a problem. I do use enamel for some detail like the metal parts.

• The ergon

January 16th, 2022 - 12:33pm

One way, if you prefer not to make full customs is just keep doing more modifications on existing figures if you have spares, as youve done so well with the cyberman and dalek. Try other monsters. You might even improve on them.

January 16th, 2022 - 12:55pm

I’m not sure which ones I’d modify. I did the Guardian Mummy which was the easiest of all. A few gold bands and a touch of red. After repainting a Dum figurine to make a Super Voc, Eaglemoss released one! After modifying a ‘Revenge’ Leader to make an ordinary Cyberman, adding the bombs made it different to the Eaglemoss one. Have thought about various Daleks, like the one with a food tray, but who knows if that might get a release? Any ideas about what might be good for modifying?

January 16th, 2022 - 1:02pm

I see your point about modifying Doug. You go to all the effort of customising one then Eaglemoss makes one anyway. Probably best to leave it until the range is completely finished then if their are still some gaps in our collection. Try and make me then.

January 16th, 2022 - 1:04pm

Try and make ‘one’ then.

• The ergon

January 16th, 2022 - 9:15pm

There are a few ive modified. I weathered a spare bok which i think looks better and the primord had to have a nose and omegas facemask i bronzed. I,d buy 2 terileptil leaders remove the cuffs and paint the other two variants. The morax queens face needs a greener repaint.

• The ergon

January 16th, 2022 - 9:26pm

If you had moulded doug, you could have made a killing with kandyman duplicates. One kid who made his on the facebook page did exactly that selling at £30 each and a final one he put up for bids sold for just over £100. His version was fine but lacked all the finer detail that yours has and basically made his using milliput putty and covering a spare wooden cyberman.

January 16th, 2022 - 9:30pm

I have modified a few, I completely forgot! I repainted the Ogron, Alpha Centauri, Azal and Lynx to make them a bit more like their TV appearance. I also modified Aggedor to add his hump, made the head bigger and filed down those massive clumsy claws to look more like they did on the original.

The other thing I did was to shorten Scaroth’s legs because they were out of proportion with the thighs too long.

Your idea about the Terileptils is great! Would you modify the face to remove the scarring?

January 16th, 2022 - 9:37pm

Ha! Maybe Ergon but then I’d probably be sued by Bassett’s and the Beeb! And mine is unique…”and I use the word precisely” as someone once said!

I did see those other ones and thought I could improve on them. I’m positive yours will too.

January 17th, 2022 - 10:41am

I,d probably have to fill it in if you mean the missing eye Doug. How did you shorten scaroths legs without snapping from the base? modifications where necessary i say. I couldnt live with a broken figure but your right they are a little elongated. I tend to touch up a lot more if i,m not satisfied with the paintwork. i,m getting rather good with figures with receding hairlines. Its the same with sloppily painted Dalek hemispheres. usually its a simple case of overpainting which gentle filing can take care of but there are times i feel these figurines should come as a paint your own. The real reason i started touching up my own figurines was down to obstinate customer service and forever sending items back. I do a better job myself with some of them.

January 17th, 2022 - 2:00pm

With Scaroth, I used a fine hacksaw to take out a section of the legs then glued back together and filled and painted. I think I was really bored that day! However it looks a bit nicer on display.

Yes there have been many receding hairlines! It must be a nightmare working on these production lines but I have to say that the paint application on the humanoid faces do let them down especially recently. We only have to paint one at a time rather than dozens though! There was a fantastic video online where a guy repainted the Thirteenth Doctor figurine and the result was just amazing! He’s done other Doctors and the figurines are transformed.

Most recent paint job I did was the Borad where I lessened the dark around his human eye and added some detail to the Morlock side.

• The ergon

January 17th, 2022 - 3:37pm

Did you use a file to lessen the darkening of the borads eye and the morlox side a light grey tinged with a lightish blue. That was how i was going to approach it. There did seem something about the face that seemed off when i caught first sight of it.
      Started a cactus meglos on stand yesterday but the needles proved too brittlle when cooked and were hell to do all way round, so another project abandoned. Worth a try. Likewise Had plenty of problems with the fishperson last year. It started well but ultimately and sadly didnt work out with the fins and was forever trying to perfect the face. I have many others in the fire beside kandyman. Which will get finished now after all the effort ive gone to. A couple almost done and a few little smaller items i want to add to other figurines which complement the story in which they belong. There are so many that eaglemoss could do a far superior job to ie: fishperson, krarg. Someone on facebook page was told by a member of customer services, the collection is to go to 250 but still awaiting confirmation, so whyll theres hope…..

January 19th, 2022 - 2:47pm

Just saw this Ergon.

Sorry to hear the Fish Person didn’t work out…though about it but I wonder if Eaglemoss might still do their version?

The Meglos cactus was such a dull design originally I think. You could mould the body and add the spines afterwards using wire or brush bristles for example? I did think of modifying the Fourth Doctor from season 18 into the Meglos Doctor…not too difficult a custom?

With the Borad I just used paint. I lightened the dark around his eye and yes on the Morlock side, added a tint of blue/grey and a bit more shading.

Good luck with all your projects and look forward to seeing the complete ones!

By the way Styggron is going to look great next to your Kraal capsule!

January 19th, 2022 - 4:40pm

I was thinking the same doug. Even better if i get that Android Sarah or one of those Astronaut looking androids that shoot from the fingers. We,ll see. As for that fourth Doctor modification theres a few you could try your hand at. Theres the meglos and aged doctor from Hive, (its a wonder we haven,t had a post regeneration season 12 costume changing doctor in clown and viking costumes) if you can get a couple of spares. Thanks for the tip with regards to The Borad. i will get around to getting those features as they should really look and i,m wanting to do The Timelash to go with it. Not sure about the blue face Android with my track record. Anything with legs and feet i can wait for or will get pushed to the backburner.

January 19th, 2022 - 7:14pm

Yes an aged Fourth Doctor might be cool too.

One of the Kraals’ android technicians should be a fairly simple custom do you think? A fairly basic helmet and overall – would need to have the finger pointing of course!

That blue-faced android doing ‘robotics’ is one of the most embarrassing things in ‘Who’ ever! I really think ‘Timelash’ is the nadir of the show and I fear had we got the original season 23, it may have been more of the same with perhaps ‘Nightmare Fair’ excepted!

‘Revelation’ was great, loved the black humour and some terrific performances, but I stopped watching at that point. Fell out of love with the programme when Davison took over – I found him bland, yet oddly callous at the same time.

The show found its mojo again with season 25 though!

January 19th, 2022 - 8:44pm

Well it was 1984 when it was made Doug. The overt robot movement was a little embarrassing. You almost expect Dean hollingsworth to fall to his back and start breakdancing. Timelash 2: electric boogaloo anyone?. Dean really cornered the market in robots and androids in the 80s

January 19th, 2022 - 9:14pm

I would have loved that original season 23. The Nightmare fair and The master, Rani and autons running amok in singapore(yellow fever and how to cure it) could have been Robert Holmes swansong and left on a high. Not sure if they could have acquired the rights to the Rani from Pip and Jane baker unless they were co-writing. They were quite proprietorial where the Rani was concerned and quite rightly so.

• TimelordTim

July 18th, 2021 - 9:43am

These are fantastic Doug Who!

I don’t collect the Eaglemoss range myself so don’t really know which characters and monsters have been done in the range. The quality of yours is so high that I wouldn’t have known they weren’t Eaglemoss if they weren’t labelled as customs!

You should be very happy with the quality of them, they fit the range perfectly.

Looking forward to future additions, keep up the great work.

July 18th, 2021 - 10:56am

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much. That was my aim to try to fit them as much as possible with the main range so your comments make me very happy!

At some point I’ll post a picture of the Harlequin figure collection some of which I painted but they’re nothing like as imaginative as your dioramas which are great.

July 18th, 2021 - 2:20pm

Are you going to make more

July 18th, 2021 - 4:52pm

Yes he’s making more, he mentions in the comments below about working on Kandyman at the moment.

July 17th, 2021 - 10:56pm

love all those doug. I,ve stalled myself . just having problems doing those Kandyman swirls. When i get chance i,ll stick my paltry few up but there will be others i promise. glad i didn,t do that Brain of morpho now. I can just admire yours You do have a thing for the third and fourth doctors. There is so much to mine from those eras, i don,t blame you. Now for your unique take on the Kraag.

July 18th, 2021 - 12:05am

I hope you get more plaudits for all your effort. Once that Kandyman of mine is complete(I,m going for the end of next week now), I,m going to carry on with the fishperson which also seems to be taking an eternity(Its those facial features and legs that are the worst).
      I might treat myself to doing a couple of Adipose, a Pting or a tin foil Vardan next for a breather.
      Actually i,m looking to source a couple of Ballbearings and some chain for my next 2 (expect to see those in 2023 for the 60th Anniversary the speed i,m going). I Wonder if you can guess what i have in mind? Any way those are excellent. You and coleman keep up the great work on any/all your future projects.

July 18th, 2021 - 2:45am

Hi Ergon,

Thanks so much! The ‘Brain of Morpho’ was mostly about sourcing the dome and base. The ‘brain’ itself was quite easy to sculpt.

I have my fingers crossed Eaglemoss will do the Krarg! I want one badly but the thought of sculpting all those triangular shapes is exhausting!

Yes Third and Fourth (especially Fourth) are ‘my’ Doctors. I”m definitely doing a Taran Wood Beast if Neil doesn’t get the go ahead.

Ballbearings and chain? Am I being obtuse? Not getting it just now!

A ‘tinfoil’ Vardan would be kind of hilarious! You could go for the DVD bersion to make it more complicated!

July 18th, 2021 - 9:19am

I,m sure Neil said the Taran wood beast is looking unlikely. I say go for it. Its more about proving to yourself it can be done and whos to say Doug, your version might be on a par or exceed the eaglemoss version.
      Thanks for the vardan suggestion although i,m not sure how i would go about creating the CGI version. XD

July 18th, 2021 - 10:07am

One final thing doug, did you embellish the Rutan slightly. i only ask because i haven,t seen Fang Rock in a while and it always reminded me of a green yolky egg leaving a white/ clear slime trail climbing those lighthouse steps and it seemed to share the same voice as morbius.

July 18th, 2021 - 11:12am

Only one I can think of with the chain ergon, is the Destroyer of Worlds.
      But of course Eaglemoss as done that one already, same with the chained down Dalek.

July 18th, 2021 - 11:14am

With the Rutan, you don’t ever really see all that much of it on screen but I wanted as much as possible to keep to the television version. It has a lot of ‘swirly’ white fibres embedded in the body and attached to the rear when you see it in close up, but you also see thicker tentacles when it attacks. So for dramatic effect I thought I’d add some impression of movement but leave out the finer fibres because I thought Eaglemoss wouldn’t be able to do those. I might still add them but I quite like it as it is!

• Neil Corry

July 17th, 2021 - 9:46pm

Those are just awesome. Brain of Morpho for the win.

July 18th, 2021 - 2:35am

Well thank you Neil that is very much appreciated! I thought long and hard how, for example, Eaglemoss might approach the Rutan and this is what I came up with!

I’ll tell you it does make you appreciate how much work goes into developing these figurines….and I don’t have t worry about negotiating the rights!

July 18th, 2021 - 11:07am

Your a star now, praise indeed from the great Neil.
      I bet your so proud Doug?

July 17th, 2021 - 4:44pm

Thanks about the Menoptera Doug. Post photos of Kandyman when he’s finished, looking forward to that one.
    Yours are all very good Doug. Your Brain of morphos is as good as any I’ve seen. I saw a superb custom awhile back where the Morphos were all lined up on a long table that had been made.
    Although impressive because of the amount he had made, I don’t think they were any better than yours. I bet Ergon will ask you for tips about the cylinder, because he was interested about having a Morpho in his collection.

July 17th, 2021 - 5:08pm

If I ever make a Menoptera in the Eaglemoss scale, yours will be the inspiration!

Still got the hands to sculpt on the Kandyman and get some of the finer details finished before painting but ai’m afraid I stalled because I’ve been busy.

I never could find the images of those Brain of Morpho customs you mentioned. It wasn’t too difficult to make that one once I had sourced the right scale of domes. It did cross my mind to do maybe two or three and put them on a miniature table but with the ‘Who’ figurines they are all (bar one) on simple black bases so kept to that.

July 17th, 2021 - 5:37pm

Sorry Doug, Couldn’t find them Morpho photos ever again. One was Eaglemoss scale and another looked like CO scale.
      I do it regular, browsing round the internet for hours on end looking at photos or customs, then I can’t remember were I saw them.

July 17th, 2021 - 3:51pm

Real quality sculpting and painting their Doug. Actually better than I expected, especially at such a small scale. I bet Ergon will love those since this is the scale he’s most interested in.
    Well done.
    Just curious about the bases though. Are these made from the Eaglemoss bases or did you manage to make them yourself.

July 17th, 2021 - 4:20pm

Hi Coleman,

Thanks for the positive comments.

I did originally make a couple of bases myself but also the damaged ones (which Eaglemoss didn’t ask to be returned) proved useful so I had a fair few to use and meant they didn’t entirely go to waste! I bought a damaged Dalek very cheaply to make the ‘Torch-cutter’ one from ‘The Daleks’ as I doubt Eaglemoss will ever make that one.

Yes it is very fiddly sculpting at that scale but quite rewarding when it goes reasonably well. My own favourites are the Brain of Morpho and Giant Maggots.

Not so happy with the Keller Machine…the scale is a bit out because of the clear dome I used and the lights a bit of a compromise – it’s just ok!

Still got the Kandyman to finish!

I forgot to comment by the way that your finished Menoptera is just beautiful! Well done too!

July 17th, 2021 - 5:05pm

By the way, your home made bases are excellent, can’t tell which you made and which are originals.