March 15th, 2019 531 comments

Doctor Who The Collection Season 18 Blu-ray

Doctor Who Season 18 is now available to order (with same day delivery from some stores) or reserve from www.argos.co.uk

Available to order from www.zoom.co.uk (10% Off with SIGNUP10 at time of writing )

Also available to order from www.amazon.co.uk

Available to order from www.amazon.com

BBC Studios announces Tom Baker’s final series as the next instalment in the DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION Blu-ray range

BBC Studios continues to offer Doctor Who fans the opportunity to build their own home archive on Blu-ray. Following the sell-out success of Tom Baker’s debut season, his seventh and final series will be released on 25th February as Doctor Who – The Collection: Season 18.

Tom Baker’s final year saw the programme undergo radical changes in front of the cameras and behind the scenes.

Producer John Nathan-Turner revamped the series with new writers, new directors, a new title sequence and theme arrangement, glossy production standards and – throughout the course of the season – a brand new regular cast. Over seven classic adventures the Doctor and his companions encountered the Foamasi, Meglos, the Marshmen, vampires and Tharils, building to a final deadly showdown between the Doctor and his arch nemesis the Master.

As a special bonus this set also includes the 1981 K9 & Company Christmas pilot episode, plus hours of brand new material.

Starring alongside Tom Baker are Lalla Ward as Romana, Matthew Waterhouse as Adric, Sarah Sutton as Nyssa, Janet Fielding as Tegan, Anthony Ainley as the Master, Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah-Jane Smith and John Leeson as K9.

Special Features exclusive to this set include:

• New Making-Of documentary and updated special effects for Logopolis
  • Revealing new 2019 commentaries moderated by Matthew Sweet (Tom Baker on The Leisure Hive, Lalla Ward & Rachel Davies on State Of Decay)
  • Surround sound mix for Warriors’ Gate
  • Rare behind-the-scenes footage from The Leisure Hive, Full Circle and Logopolis
  • Eight more editions of Behind The Sofa
  • Brand new documentaries The Writers Room and Weekend With Waterhouse
  • New interview with K9 & Company’s Ian Sears
  • Another dip into the Panopticon convention archives with Tom Baker
  • HD photo galleries plus scripts, production files and rare documentation provided as PDFs
  • The eight-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.

All material has been remastered for Blu-ray by Peter Crocker and Mark Ayres. Lee Binding has provided stunning packaging and new series writer/content consultant Pete McTighe has written another extensive booklet. Russell Minton is Executive Producer.

Blu-ray trivia: when filming took place for Logopolis (1980), Tom Baker’s last adventure, the intention was to shoot at the University of Manchester’s Jodrell Bank Observatory. Instead, production took place at Crowsley Park with the team using model shots.

For the brand new Blu-ray, almost 40 years later, BBC Studios received permission to film at Jodrell Bank with a drone. Offered as an alternative viewing option, fans will now be able to experience the finished product just as it was originally intended.

DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION – SEASON 18 includes the following stories from 1980/81:

• The Leisure Hive (four episodes)
  • Meglos (four episodes)
  • Full Circle (four episodes)
  • State Of Decay (four episodes); Warriors’ Gate (four episodes)
  • The Keeper Of Traken (four episodes)
  • Logopolis (four episodes)
  • plus K9 & Company – A Girl’s Best Friend.

RRP: £56.16

Categorised under: Blu-ray, DVD

• Keiren Kavanagh

April 25th, 2019 - 3:21pm

Got a email from bbc support

Dear Keiren

Thank you for contacting BBC DVD Support.

We will be offering replacements for Disc 1 from the Doctor Who The Collection Season 18 release, with corrected audio for The Leisure Hive episode 1.

The timeframe for the replacement disc to be made available is approximately 6 weeks.

Please email us your proof of purchase in the form a receipt from the retailer, including your full name and postal details.
    All proof will be noted, and we will only respond if there is an issue with your proof at this stage.

Season 19 is being looked at and we will come back to you just as soon as we have completed our investigation.

We thank you for your continued patience in this matter.

Regards
    BBC DVD Support

• Lee

April 25th, 2019 - 9:46pm

Thanks Keiren, I must admit that I hadn’t noticed any audio issues with the episode, but as they’re offering the replacements I have emailed them anyway.

Just wondering what’s actually wrong with the audio?

Thanks for the updated info.

• Bushboy

April 25th, 2019 - 11:29pm

What about the faults with the other discs? Meglos and Logopolis?
      I’m not overly bothered about Logopolis I guess as the problems are not with the broadcast version. But I do at least want the writers credit on Meglos corrected.

• Keiren Kavanagh

April 26th, 2019 - 12:36am

No problem lee anytime and from what’s going around online There is a sound fault on Episode 1 of the The Leisure Hive meaning the mono version is missing.

• Gordon

April 26th, 2019 - 3:20pm

I doubt the spelling mistake in meglos is major enough to be considered for a replacement. Sure the spelling mistake should have been avoided however the spelling mistake doesn’t effect the episode quality themselves and only appear for 2 seconds per episode. Issuing replacement discs is expensive. I doubt the cost of replacing a disc just for a spelling mistake would be justifiable. There needs to be other issues with it before it can be seriously considered.

• the 14th doctor

April 24th, 2019 - 1:56pm

yes! i can now watch this as i now have a blu ray player!!!!!!!
    K9 and company first i think.

• The Jamie

April 10th, 2019 - 9:55pm

Just to ask here do we know whats happening with the series 4 steelbook because if its not happening i might make a custom one

April 10th, 2019 - 11:35pm

You’d think that series 4 would have more selling points even if it’s just a rerelease of the bluray with a nice steelbook case (as long as Lee binding does the cover art)

• Daz

April 11th, 2019 - 10:40am

Nothing as yet. I hope it is still coming as I sold my dvds in preparation for it.

I do wonder if fact series 1 to 10 is on Netflix and I-player how sales have dipped since.

I still like to own the Films/TV shows I love even though I might still watch them on Streaming platforms to save a few seconds loading up a bluray.

• john

April 8th, 2019 - 7:30pm

Are there issues with the season 19 boxset ? do you need to send off for replacement discs ?

found this https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=309097&page=13 (#258) not sure if its true or not ?

• Rob W

April 8th, 2019 - 8:22pm

The response I got on 26 March 2019 was:- “Thank you for taking the time to contact BBC DVD Support.

There is also 2 potential faults with the Season 18 boxset too…

• John hogg

April 15th, 2019 - 6:30pm

No issues with this box set

• Bushboy

April 3rd, 2019 - 10:51pm

Can anyone explain to me why we are getting very few of these new releases in New Zealand?
    I have to order them from JB HI FI in Australia and it literally takes weeks for them to arrive after the release date.
    Previously I was able to order them online from Mighty Ape and receive them on the day of release.
    Annoyingly I purchased Series 11 here on Blu-ray but had to buy the New Year Special from Australia as it was only released here on DVD. Frustrating considering it is basically the finale for Series 11 and should have just been released in the Series 11 Box Set.
    Even if we had to pay more I’d rather that than a separate release.

• James

April 3rd, 2019 - 12:03pm

No news of the next set in the latest DWM so it’s anyones guess when the reveal will actually happen. I am doubtful that it will be released in June though because all the other sets has a pre-order period of 3 months so I epect if it is announced soon it will be released in July.
    But at this rate, I don’t think there will be 4 releases per year….

• Rob W

April 3rd, 2019 - 2:10pm

Maybe because of the problems with the last bixset then? The soundmix on The Leisure Hive (wrong PDFs on disc 7?), “We will come back to you just as soon as we have a resolution and can advise of the next steps.” Is the response I got. Second Tom Baker set with errors and I ca’t say I’m happy about this.

April 3rd, 2019 - 6:40pm

What was wrong with the pdfs? I haven’t looked at them yet

• Rob W

April 3rd, 2019 - 7:06pm

U.S sets have the Earthshock PDFs, I’ve not checked my U.K set yet. It’s just so annoying given any replacements take weeks to send out, costing goodness knows how much money.too…

• Lee

April 3rd, 2019 - 7:29pm

How the hell did they get the Earthshock PDFs on this boxset? That’s a bizarre error as they’re not even from the same season.

Honestly, I’ve just accepted that’s how things are when it comes to BBC DVD/Blu-ray. I can’t tell you how many of their releases I’ve had to exchange or get replaced over the years since I started buying DVDs in the late ’90s, but it’s quite a few.
      As long as I can get replacements I’m not too bothered anymore.

I’ve had DVDs/Blu-rays from a lot of other studios that have had faults/errors and needed replacing too. Just had to email Universal about one last week and they’re sending me a replacement.

I took back some VHS tapes back in the day if I didn’t think the quality was up to scratch. Just comes with this type of media unfortunately.

• Ollie

April 3rd, 2019 - 7:59pm

They misspelt Andrew McCulloch’s name on each episode of Meglos. If I was the writer of a story and they got my name wrong, I wouldn’t be happy about that. Little things like that really annoy me so hopefully they’ll do some replacement discs.

• Gordon

April 4th, 2019 - 10:18am

I think the promotion for Macra Terror is still ongoing. There was a news piece on bbc points west just 2 days ago. It should have its time in the sun. I doubt the errors are delaying any future announcements. The discs for the next set are probably not even at the authering stage yet and the errors for the last ones are dealt with different people than would be announcing the sets. All they are doing is putting out a press release with trailer so I doubt any disc faults are holding the announcement up. I don’t think the fact it hasn’t been anounced yet doesn’t nessesarly mean that it’s not coming out until July. It could still be anounced in the next week or so and still have a 2 and a half month preorder window which is still plenty of time. Series 18 originally was due just under 3 months from announcement to the original date before it was pushed back.

• Neill Stringer

April 6th, 2019 - 1:01pm

I don’t think a replacement program is going to happen for season 18.

Apart from a spelling error, why make a big deal. The X Files remasters have typing errors

• Rob W

April 6th, 2019 - 3:09pm

So the U.K sets do contain the correct PDFs for Logopolis then? And the Leisure Hive soundmix is OK? That being the case that’s fine, it’s just that the release dates are put back and then mistakes come to light. The X-Files remasters also had a problem with the gamma levels on some of the episodes and replacement discs were issued…

• Lee

April 7th, 2019 - 7:20pm

Haven’t checked the PDFs yet. What’s meant to be the issue with the sound on The Leisure Hive? I’ve listened to it through headphones and can’t say I’ve noticed any sound issues. I’m no audio expert, but it sounded fine to me.

• Rob W

April 7th, 2019 - 7:31pm

Possibly some of the effects in the soundmix are ‘missing’, not sure whether it’s the 5.1 or the mono mix though.

• Lee

April 8th, 2019 - 9:57pm

Haven’t noticed it myself. The way I look at it is if it doesn’t spoil my enjoyment of watching it, then I’m not concerned.
      You’re never going to get a perfect DVD/Blu-Ray release from the BBC. I learnt that years ago. 😀

Again, I’m not a big audiophile though, and I don’t watch old shows like this in 5.1 anyway. It doesn’t seem natural to me for a show that was originally broadcast in mono or stereo. 5.1 mixes always seem a little forced and artificial on old programmes. That’s just my personal preference though.

No disrespect to Mr. Ayres of course, I’m sure he does a stellar job on the mixes.

• James

April 3rd, 2019 - 12:02pm

But at this rate, I don’t think there will be 4 releases per year…

• MJS

April 1st, 2019 - 4:37pm

Saw a season 23 cover over on twitter. Dunno how genuine it is

• Robert Sienicki

April 1st, 2019 - 5:38pm

Care to share a link?

April 1st, 2019 - 5:55pm

can only find this one which is fan made https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1TxTTrWoAIMbKr.jpg unless they saw something else

• Robert Sienicki

April 1st, 2019 - 6:09pm

Somebody did a decent job, but ues – definitely fan made. But I expect the reveal to hit the web tomorrow, when the preorders will arrive.

• Rob W

April 1st, 2019 - 7:00pm

Today’s date is..?

• James

March 31st, 2019 - 6:21pm

Ok, so Season 10 is pretty much guaranteed to be announced this week (either tomorrow or in this weeks issue of Doctor Who Magazine) so I’ve been thinking about thenext few releases.
    I think we’ll get Season 22 next followed by Season 26 around December time which will mean that every Doctor except for William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton has at least one season released on bluray by the end of 2019.

Next year I think we will likely get another Pertwee set (I’m guessing Season 11 as the majority exist in their original PAL format), a Tom set (I’m guessing Season 17), a Davison set (I think Season 21) and a McCoy set (Season 24).

In 2020 I think we will get another Tom (possibly Season 15), Colin’s final season, Season 9 and either Season 20 or 25.

Then heading into 2021 and beyond we will only have a few more Tom seasons for release as well as the Pertwee seasons that require more work (7 and 8) and the B&W seasons, which again will take more work depending on animations and recons.

• Exdalek

March 31st, 2019 - 11:17pm

Aren’t next year and 2020 the same?

• Gordon

April 1st, 2019 - 12:55am

I think having 18, 10, 17 and 26 would feel right and varied

This is how I would release it.

2020 should bring another tom season (probably 17) another pertwee season (probably 11 but I can see them maybe doing 9 if they want more time to work on dinos ep 1) another Davison (21) and possibly a hartnell (2). They already have said the black and white seasons won’t be left till last and 2 seems the most ready especially if those involved with the animations have ruled out the crusade at present.

2021 Should be due a hinchcliffe era tom (14) another pertwee (9) a McCoy (24) and a Troughton (6).

2022 season 15 for tom, c Baker (23), McCoy (25) and Troughton (5)

2023 being the 60th aniversary should be a special year.tom (13), pertwee (7) Davison (20) and hartnell (1)

2024 tom (16) pertwee (8) Troughton (4) and hartnell (3)

If they did decide to incorporate the new series

2025

Eclestone (1) Tennant (4) Smith (5) capaldi (10)

2026
      Tennant (3) Smith (6) capaldi (9) Whittaker (11)

2027
      Tennant (2) Smith (7) capaldi (8) Whittaker (12)

April 1st, 2019 - 10:52am

2024?.

April 1st, 2019 - 10:59am

Right I genuinely think that the next season after Season 10 and possibly 26 is Definnetly 17. It’s got marketablitly. Tom Baker (which always sells the best), Douglas Adams (which is also sells) and It’s the most watched season of Doctor Who. People are going to remember it. Also I would just like City of Death to be remastered because it would look gorgeous

• James

April 1st, 2019 - 11:43am

I don’t think we’ll get 17 this year. I think it is most likely next years set. Noticing comments on here and other sites, some people are only interested in buying sets for Doctors 1-4 as they don’t like 80s Who. Therefore if the people behind the range want to space them out over about 5 years and they have stated that they want to do every season, it makes sense to space out the more “popular” Doctors such as Tom to make sure they keep getting enough sales to ensure they can fulfil this.
      If we are getting 4 releases per year, that means we will have 20 seasons left after 2019 ends. That would be 5 years exactly. I honestly don’t think we’ll get more than one Tom season per year. If we get one per year, there will be 5 Tom seasons left, one to release each year until 2024.

• Chris

April 1st, 2019 - 1:45pm

I wonder if they did do the new series of Who if they would do it as Series 1 or if they would carry on so ecclestone would be series 27 and so on.

April 1st, 2019 - 3:02pm

Replying to Chris

Nope. I genuinely think that The New Series should be considered in a completely different. They are two shows with the same name. Personally just label it as Series 1

• Lee

April 1st, 2019 - 3:36pm

Even though it’s a continuation of the same series, the new series has always been named Series 1, 2, etc, so that’s how they should keep it IMO. Calling it Season 27, etc might just confuse some newer fans who are just discovering the show.

Plus, there was such a big gap between the two, that I think calling it Series 1, 2, etc made sense. It felt like something new with the whole post time war “last timelord” premise.

• Exdalek

April 2nd, 2019 - 11:10pm

I personally don’t think they will do New who as a continuation of these sets. They are all available as Blu-ray already and with good extras (not including series 11 in that, as it sucks extras wise) and can be bought fairly cheaply (again not including series 11 and the New year special rip off prices). Some people are still hoping for steelbooks of new Who to continue, so having bought the ones released so far, might at least be annoyed if they started releasing them in another style.

• The Flying Shark

April 3rd, 2019 - 7:21am

Although the extras are good, there’s a lot missing from them so I hope they do get the Collection treatment. The extras are mostly video diaries and confidentials-what about news extracts, special programmes like Blue Peter episodes, etc.? With Blu-Ray allowing more on a disc, we could finally get full length Confidential, seasons of Totally Doctor Who or even special editions of episodes! Plus, after the Tennant era not every episode had commentary, and very few with the Doctor, so there’s a gap. Not to mention being released at the time means views in those extras are obviously bias. Imagine an honest look at Fear Her twenty years later-in fact, imagine a making of for every episode like the classics! Point is, although there’s already a lot on those discs, there could be a lot more, and I wouldn’t feel like I had a definitive collection like this range promises until I got them.

• Gordon

April 3rd, 2019 - 9:00am

Series 1-4 in the uk was released on blu ray in the wrong speed and suffered from slowdown. It could absolutely benefit from being at the correct speed

• Lee

April 3rd, 2019 - 2:03pm

That’s the reason I still haven’t upgraded my Series 1-4 DVDs to Blu-ray yet. Still hoping they get re-released at the correct speed sometime in the future. Haven’t felt the need to double dip with the new series yet.

I’ve only bought Series 5-9 on blu-ray, as I didn’t originally buy them on DVD anyway.
      Haven’t even bought Series 10 or 11 yet, as I wasn’t that impressed with them tbh (just shielding my head from the rocks that are about to fly my way).

I’ll pick them up as some point though. I’m more interested in these classic blu-rays right now anyway.

April 4th, 2019 - 4:43pm

Personally they should do new who sets. I would buy them. Upscale and remaster them. Take some of the stuff done in 35mm (Tooth and Claw has some stuff). Optional Redone special effects. New looking back and nostalgia pieces. and lots of other stuff from the classic dvd range down for new who doctors. Also Doctor Who Confidenitals in full (SD though) on the bonus disc

• Lee

March 29th, 2019 - 5:31pm

Just watching through the bonus disc.
    It’s been years since I’ve watched K9 & Co. I remember not liking it when it was broadcast, and I didn’t even manage to get through it on the DVD release. But forced myself to watch through it all on this blu-ray.

The Behind the Sofa for it is far better than the actual episode. At least it had Liz Sladen in, who is always a joy to watch. But the episode definitely hasn’t improved with age. 😀

April 1st, 2019 - 2:59pm

April 1st, 2019 - 2:59pm

Sorry wrong comment

• Anon

March 28th, 2019 - 9:40pm

Reserved a copy from argos. Cant wait to pick it up in the morning. Missed out on season 12 but got 19. Going to get all the rest when they get released.

• anonimus

March 28th, 2019 - 10:36am

In summary, what is all the information we know about the box sets that will be released in the future?

• Gordon

March 28th, 2019 - 12:45pm

What we do know officially the next season is due to be announced soon possibly even as soon as next week. Most are expecting it to be season 10. Hmv had on their wall of upcoming releases in my local store season 10 listed for 24th June. Whether or not that date is correct I haven’t a clue. Documentary maker Chris chapman said at galifrey 1 that he has 2 documentaries for this set 1 of which is a looking for peter sequel and is about a director.Katy manning was filming back in November for locations for green death and as Chris chapman was also filming in wales on those same days it’s a good chance that is the other documentary is for that. Ed stradling has filmed and just completed something outside unit headquaters with Matthew sweet which could easily fit on season 10 and is the longest documentary he has ever done.

Beyond season 10 Chris chapman has got 3 documentaries for the next 1 and a further 2 for the 1 after that which should take us to the end of the year. The later is expected to be season 26 as 1 of the actors of curse of fenric has Said in an interview that season 26 would be out at Christmas.

As for the season inbetween 10 and 26 there has been a couple of seasons branded. 17 has and Lalla Ward has done a city of death commentary but I feel it could be a case of banking extras as she is moving to Hong Kong shortly.

Season 22 or 23 has also been mentioned. Terry molloy has been filmed for a documentary involving the doctor who cookbook. It could really fit on either season as it was released inbetween 22 and 23 however terry was in season 22 twice so i feel it fits better being there. Chris Hamilton bidmed said on twitter that he was filming something about the unmade season 23 story he did. Seeing as timeline wise it works to put it on the tail end of season 22 it could just as well be on season 23.

As for next year chris chapman says he has documentaries for 3 different sets that are in the very early stages of production.

• anonimus

March 28th, 2019 - 1:21pm

Thank you very much!

• James

March 28th, 2019 - 11:02pm

Thanks for the information Gordon. You’re the source of info for most of us on here!
      I really hope it is going to be season 22 or 23 released this year in between 10 and 26 as I love Colin’s Doctor. And it would also mean that every Doctor from 3-7 has at least one season released on bluray by the end of this year which makes sense if they are going to spread each Doctor out equally. I think if we get Season 17 it wil be the Tom Baker set for 2020, and 3 other sets. Probably another Davison, a second Pertwee and another McCoy.
      I think we’ll see the first B&W bluray season release in 2020. Possibly season 6 as that one will be relatively easy for them to release even if they don’t animate Space Pirate’s missing episodes.

• Rob W

March 29th, 2019 - 8:16am

Season 17 would be great. Five stories (6 with Shada?).

• Alex Sutton

March 29th, 2019 - 7:24pm

Personally, I think it’s a shame the first pertwee boxset is most likely going to be season 10. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fine season, but I would have preferred season 8, as I, honest to god, have not even got 1 story from that season. It would have been neat to go from missing the entire series to having the entire series in one swoop.

• James

March 29th, 2019 - 10:51pm

I think it is because the footage from Season 10 is of a better quality than the other Pertwee seasons so they will take longer to get the other seasons looking as good as possible for bluray.

• Gordon

March 30th, 2019 - 12:02am

Yeah James is spot on. Everything in season 10 exists in its original pal format with 1 exception planet of the Daleks ep 3 which was a mixture of computer coloured and colour recovery and looks almost as good as the original pal masters. Season 8 is one the worst quality of the colour seasons. The only episodes that exists in their original pal masters is claws of axis ep 1 and 4 and daemons episode 4. Mind of evil ep 1 is in good condition as it’s hand coloured but the rest of the season is a mix of off air colour pal recordings mixed with black and white ntsc recordings for Autons 2,3 of axons, colony and 1-3,5 of daemons and colour recovery for 2-6 mins of evil. Mind 2-6 would be the biggest work to get up to standard for blu ray.

• Billy

March 27th, 2019 - 6:20pm

Got mine today, looks beautiful next to Season 19. It feels more secure and the ‘door’ doesnt slide back like Season 19. Now all I need is for a Season 12 re-release and the other 23 Seasons!

March 25th, 2019 - 11:47pm

I wonder if they’d ever release these again in 4K

I also would like to see the 1st and 2nd Doctor episodes colourised as an extra.

March 26th, 2019 - 6:08am

Too expensive

• Gordon

March 26th, 2019 - 7:39am

At most spearhead as it was completely shot on film. Everything else wouldn’t be any further benefit. The blu rays already take it the sd footage as close to the bbc archives masters that it can get. As for colourising it would take too long (about 18 months per ep to hand do) and be very expensive. Would rather they spent that time improving the colour on the pertwee releases. Amabassadors 2-7, mind 2-6 and invasion of the dinosaurs 1 immediately spring to mind. Not saying the colour in those stories look terrible but they will need touching up if they want to look good on Blu Ray

• Lee

March 27th, 2019 - 5:47pm

Completely agree with Gordon. 4K for videotape SD programmes would be a complete waste of time and money, for zero benefit. Other than slapping a 4K logo on the box, I doubt there would be any noticeable difference, if at all. Remember the BBC and team are working to a strict budget.

They should put that money towards better restorations, such as the episodes Gordon mentioned. I’d much rather see those.

• Robert Sienicki

March 28th, 2019 - 3:19pm

Those Blu-Rays alone are not really in Blu-Ray standards apart from few scenes in whole season. So I don’t think they can do anything more than BD with what they’ve got. I feel like this might be the definitive collection.

April 1st, 2019 - 5:30pm

Right HD is as far as your going to get with Classic Who. Even though most of it requires Upscaling. There was some 16mm stuff that is Pure HD. The only stuff in classic Who that would even be pure 4K is the opening to trial of a time lord as that was shot on 35mm which is 5K resolution. And the TV movie. Which was shot on 35mm which should just get a 4K release when they get the materials for it. Include the opening t TOATL as an extra

• Gordon

April 2nd, 2019 - 12:22am

They don’t have access to the TV movie assets and there is no guarantee that the original assets may not exist so a 4K scan is probably unlikely