May 14th, 2018 52 comments

5.5″ B&M 2018 1970’s Collectors Set

Advanced information thanks to B&M, Due late summer

Three sets with 3 completely unique paint variants in each set. Every single figure is exclusive and has never been available before.

1970’s Doctor Set

• The Brigadier as seen in the 3rd Doctors 1st Season
  • The 4th Doctor as seen in Talons of Weng Chiang
  • Auton Mark II as seen in The Terror of the Autons

B&M was formed in 1978 and is now one of the leading variety retailers in the UK.

From its first store in Blackpool, Lancashire, B&M has grown to over 560 stores and employs over 28,000 staff. B&M believe in selling top branded products at sensational prices. They attract over 3 million happy customers through our doors a week.

B&M has stores throughout England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Click Here to find your nearest B&M.

Categorised under: Doctor Who 5" scale figures, Toys

• Gek2Win

May 25th, 2018 - 7:26am

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the body of the baker figure a new sculpt? I’ve never seen that sculpt before, and I’ve seen a lot of Doctor Who figures.

• The Outcast

May 25th, 2018 - 7:49am

The shirt piece looks to be new, yeah. Though it could be from another figure but we haven’t figured out which one yet.

• Gek2Win

May 25th, 2018 - 10:31am

I thought so. It appears to be a pertwee base jacket, isn’t it? Also, is the coloured squares on the Brigadier a retool, or is it just a print over the wing badge from Captain Jack?

• The Outcast

May 25th, 2018 - 1:06pm

Yes, it is just the Pertwee jacket and the Brig is just a print over, though I wish it was a retool to make the collar accurate, because that is about the only think wrong with the figure.

• Gek2Win

May 25th, 2018 - 4:32pm

• Tim M

May 23rd, 2018 - 3:18pm

The Auton is the only monster being released within these B&M sets! Would have liked a monster themed box.

• Antonio Zambonini

May 20th, 2018 - 3:20am

Best news I seen of the day will be buying every one 🙂

• Grb14-17

May 19th, 2018 - 4:39pm

Love the 70s set, new 4th Doctor from talons, which we have all been waiting ages for, 3rd Doctor and tardis is cool, the rest._._. eh

• G

May 19th, 2018 - 4:37pm

• Jordie55555

May 18th, 2018 - 10:30pm

Will probably only get this for the 4th doctor

• Merlin

May 16th, 2018 - 9:15pm

This set has got me hoping they do a 1960’s, and 1980’s set too. I really don’t mind how broad the contents are in terms of stories.

• Tom

May 16th, 2018 - 5:16pm

For me, growing up with Tom Baker who for me will always be the quintessential Dr Who. I have been collecting this range which has been going for 13 years. I am very happy being a completist, my fav who story is the talons of weng chiang and to finally get a variant tom baker in his outfit for this story brings back all those happy memories of watching it on TV 40 years ago. For me this will definitely be the last Dr Who figure which I have always wanted for my collection.This is the baker figure which I always wanted to be released. Thank you to the toy makers and to B & M Stores for making this classic dr who fan a happy man.:-)

May 16th, 2018 - 5:20pm

Talons is my favourite all time story as well

May 20th, 2018 - 7:46pm

me too

• 1

May 16th, 2018 - 8:30am

Is Captain Jack’s head removable then?

• TARDIS DUDE

May 16th, 2018 - 9:28am

Captian Jack? There aint a captian jack?

• 1

May 16th, 2018 - 12:33pm

There bodies are based off Captain Jack

• Koloth

May 22nd, 2018 - 8:56am

The original Auton in the ‘Enemies of the 3rd Doctor’ set has a similar body to this auton, so its likely a repaint.

• Paul Armstrong

May 15th, 2018 - 9:06pm

What about accessories. Let’s hope 4 had Litefoots rifle

• whovian

May 15th, 2018 - 5:02pm

This set isn’t screaming out at me, the others are, so with this one, I’ll definitely be giving it a miss.

May 15th, 2018 - 5:11pm

for me this is the first one i would pick off the shelf, that said for the record this is the first occasion i would automatically buy all 4 sets

• whovian

May 18th, 2018 - 8:52am

To each their own, its just in my own personal opinion, i simply cannot justify spending money on a set that includes two repaints of the same figure. Plus seeing the body sculpt of Jack reminds me of seeing loads of the figure from years ago in toys r us and there just being loads of him, Brannigan and Laszlo.

May 18th, 2018 - 5:57pm

I can understand that, i’m a bit biased to be honest because i know that without B&M’s commitment we would be getting nothing at all

I just think CO/B&M have done a fantastic job this time around with the budget available.

• whovian

May 23rd, 2018 - 5:09pm

Oh definitely, and thankfully no more of the 3.75 inch range. I hope everyone gets the sets that they want, I certainly hope that when they are released, that I can pick up the 3 sets that I want. Jumped at the chance when the 9th Doctor and Rose were released, mainly because I never got that Doctor originally and I lost my Rose a very long time ago.

• toptimelord

May 15th, 2018 - 1:46pm

I’m gobsmacked! What a surprise! No warning! This Fourth Doctor figure set looks amazing! Not only the Fourth Doctor in a Sherlock Holmes getup but the Brig and a shop window dummy aswell! All big figs too!

• LastOfTheSonics

May 15th, 2018 - 10:21am

I think the auton is from that really short scene in Terror where the Doctor and the Brig open a safe, and then there’s an auton hiding inside it, but I could be wrong.

• T

May 15th, 2018 - 12:33pm

The autons are in Terror Of The Autons (clue/name in the title)

May 15th, 2018 - 12:44pm

you could be right it look to have a grey suit

• The Outcast

May 15th, 2018 - 1:44pm

It’s from various scenes, but the head is wrong. If you search up “Terror of the Autons Auton” an image of 3 of them lying on a bench with the Master standing nearby will appear.

• Who Knows

May 15th, 2018 - 1:47pm

There is also a scene near to the end of episode 1 where the Master is activating one – there’s three lying down in total sporting the same outfit as the one included in this set.

• THE ERGON

May 15th, 2018 - 7:00pm

you,re so right. I haven,t watched in a while and forgot about these scenes. I automatically think of the faceless auton in the police car and the creepy masked ones with the plastic daffs. I would say the auton knocked over the cliff and the scene with the auton behind the safe are two of my favourite scenes from 70s WHO.

May 15th, 2018 - 7:07pm

terror of the autons was quite thing in its day, i seem to remember complaints about the “police” Auton and “that doll” is probably the singular most disturbing sequence in Doctor Who History

• THE ERGON

May 16th, 2018 - 5:17am

There is too many to call from this particular story all the above mentioned plus the daff that almost suffocates jo and the doctor almost being strangled by the phone cord, Controversial and disturbing as you mention but images you never forget.

May 14th, 2018 - 8:32pm

I love these, I actually do.

• Omega63

May 14th, 2018 - 8:25pm

Think they’ve done a pretty good job with the existing sculpts, but two Jack Harkness bases in one set does make it look rather odd.
    I’ll take it though, for sure. I’m just worried about how much more creative they can get with existing sculpts from here on in.

• Merlin

May 14th, 2018 - 6:37pm

I really do love how they have improvised more classic figures, the Brigadier especially. People have suggested various other possibilities in the past, such as a ‘Two Doctors’ Peri repaint, made from the ‘Caves’ version or other Ace t-shirt variants.

But they’d make my day if they were ever able to get out an Ainley Master variant, at minimal cost of course.

• VeryFactualDalek

May 16th, 2018 - 12:18pm

We’ve had enough Peri’s and Aces
      I’d like a new companion please

• Merlin

May 16th, 2018 - 9:12pm

Speak for yourself! Plenty of us want more. Although that Jamie figure seemed so tantalisingly close at one point 🙁

• lee moone

May 17th, 2018 - 8:41am

Yeah, shame we didn’t get Jamie, Yeti & new 2nd Dr to celebrate Web on DVD. A Yeti was close too wasn’t it?

• Merlin

May 17th, 2018 - 9:29am

It was. There must be been so many things we don’t know about too.

• David

May 14th, 2018 - 3:31pm

I’m so happy we’ve got new figures and don’t get me wrong I think these are the best sets B&M have done so far, but The Brigadier is SO Captain Jack to me it just makes me cringe. Like thats how everyone used to make their customs before they released a Brig figure. To me he’ll look so off compared to the other Brig figures, his body shape and build is just so different compared to the other Brig figures.
    Also the Tom Baker is meant to be Sherlock Holmes. Is the gag as effective without Sherlock’s deerstalker??
    The Auton is a botch job repaint aswell.

I want to love this set but I’m severly undecided…

• The Werewolf

May 14th, 2018 - 3:14pm

Another must-but I think

May 14th, 2018 - 2:44pm

This set for me looks by far best of them all really can’t wait for this set

• Kevin Bunker

May 14th, 2018 - 1:16pm

Always nice to see the Brigadier. 🙂 Glad we still have B&M to stock figures for us, always liked Toys R Us for the new stuff but when it all dried up I was wondering if B&M would at least get something still. This answers that question. 🙂

• Tim M

May 14th, 2018 - 1:12pm

Nice set. Would have liked to have seen the Tom Baker ‘Talons’ released alongside a re-release of Magnus Greel and Mr Sin though. Would have made a lovely ‘Talons of Weng Chiang’ boxset. The Brigadier and Auton could have been released alongside a 3rd Doctor variant figure. That could have then become a Season 7 boxset.

• TARDISGuy

May 14th, 2018 - 12:07pm

Great set. Love that 4 is just a Tom Baker head on a repainted Jon Pertwee body. Does this mean that it’ll be slightly taller than other 4th Doctor figures?
    Also love that the Brig uses a Captain Jack body as I’ve seen many customisers do this exact thing.

• THE ERGON

May 14th, 2018 - 11:51am

Thats the spearhead Auton Not Terror?

• the_4th_doc

May 14th, 2018 - 11:57am

These are prototypes, so I’m hoping the Auton will get a new headscupt at least considering they’ve mentioned Terror and specifically said ‘Mark 2’ (also hoping 4 gets a deerstalker and 12 gets a generally better facescupt but not counting on it)

• the_4th_doc

May 14th, 2018 - 12:00pm

Just reilised 4 is literally a 3rd Doctor repaint with a Tom baker head stuck on it, so I think a lot of things will change in the sets and new sculpts are fairly likely

• The Outcast

May 14th, 2018 - 12:42pm

No new sculpts will happen because these are B&M budget sets.

• Adam

May 14th, 2018 - 12:44pm

These are bargain priced sets. Repaints and kitbashes are all we ever get from B&M. New sculpts would be too expensive to sell at these price points.

• The Outcast

May 14th, 2018 - 11:38am

This one is cool too. A new Brig variant, a 4th Doctor to go with Magnus Greel and another variant of Classic Auton. Not as exciting as the last set, but still cool non the less.